aeronautical or aeronautical (space) -_-! (1 Viewer)

ozic_surfing

HSC
N/A
i'm in yr 12 at the moment seeking a engineering course in USyd.
i'm really confused by aeronautical and aeronautical+space.
there's 8 mark diference between them...
can somebody tell me whats the real difference between them in terms of their
future job prospects?plz help me, give me some references, thx!!!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Space is aeronautical minus some fluids/aerodynamics subjects to put some electronics and space subjects in. Apparently with an aero/space degree it's hard to get jobs outside of the defence force.

www.aeromech.usyd.edu.au/6cp and you can get some idea of how the degrees are structured differently.

ozic_surfing

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Space is aeronautical minus some fluids/aerodynamics subjects to put some electronics and space subjects in. Apparently with an aero/space degree it's hard to get jobs outside of the defence force.

www.aeromech.usyd.edu.au/6cp and you can get some idea of how the degrees are structured differently.
thx, withoutface. u are saying its hard to get a job in aero+space(eg. defence force). what about just aero? fights maintainence in Qantas, or flights manufacturing??

DAAVE

HSC
The real aero industry is overseas. If you end up doing aero expect to move overseas at some point in your career, as most of the jobs in australia are maintenance style jobs.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
DAAVE said:
The real aero industry is overseas. If you end up doing aero expect to move overseas at some point in your career, as most of the jobs in australia are maintenance style jobs.
Maintenance style jobs tend to be done by mechanical engineers too. Yeah, also keep in mind that ~70% of aeronautical engineers are employed in structural analysis, and only ~5% manage to get a job in aerodynamics, with the remainder mostly in design.

ozic_surfing

HSC
N/A
70% in strucuture analysis? does dat mean in aeroplane structure analysis or other areas like something to do with cars or Formular 1??
does dat mean a good job prospect?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ozic_surfing said:
70% in strucuture analysis? does dat mean in aeroplane structure analysis or other areas like something to do with cars or Formular 1??
does dat mean a good job prospect?
It means that if you do get a job in aeronautics (hard to do in Australia), you'll most likely be examining the stresses placed upon the structural components within the aircraft, rather than designing them.

ozic_surfing

HSC
N/A
dat sounds not very good ah~designing is the most thing i want to do and i wanna get a job in australia. what do u guys reckon i can do in engineering in USYD if i can get a UAI around 93 something and it has a really good job prospect??? @_@!! getting more confusing....

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ozic_surfing said:
dat sounds not very good ah~designing is the most thing i want to do and i wanna get a job in australia. what do u guys reckon i can do in engineering in USYD if i can get a UAI around 93 something and it has a really good job prospect??? @_@!! getting more confusing....
Well there will always be demand for civil and mechanical engineers, and areas such as mechatronics are also becoming increasingly more important, so go with any of those and you shouldn't have many problems finding a job in 4 1/2 years time.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
remember,
anything that goes into space, has to go through the earth's atmoshpere first.
So aeronautical space engineers know everything about normal aeronautics as well.
As in, by doing a space degree you have not suddenly restricted yourself to only working in the space industry, you would just as likely end up working as an aerodynamicists for a forumla 1 team.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Not quite, if you do aero/space you miss out on aerospace technology 1 and 2, as well as aerospace design 2, and aerodynamics 2.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
gordo said:
remember,
anything that goes into space, has to go through the earth's atmoshpere first.
So aeronautical space engineers know everything about normal aeronautics as well.
As in, by doing a space degree you have not suddenly restricted yourself to only working in the space industry, you would just as likely end up working as an aerodynamicists for a forumla 1 team.
Or in gordo's case you could solve ownership disputes on the moon ;)

ozic_surfing

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Or in gordo's case you could solve ownership disputes on the moon ;)
lol, i dont have dat kind of value at the moment. i do engineering cos i like design things and make it. mechanical's UAI mark is not dat high. Then, whatz the whole point of working dat hard tp get in mechanical engineering. In UNSW, they only require like 80 something for mech engineering. But anyway, thx for all ur guys help. i will still keep doing hard in HSC. maybe say u around in USYD next year...lol...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ozic_surfing said:
lol, i dont have dat kind of value at the moment. i do engineering cos i like design things and make it. mechanical's UAI mark is not dat high. Then, whatz the whole point of working dat hard tp get in mechanical engineering. In UNSW, they only require like 80 something for mech engineering. But anyway, thx for all ur guys help. i will still keep doing hard in HSC. maybe say u around in USYD next year...lol...
There's a guy on this forum that got 99.90 and is doing mech, it's still a great course, and you would by no means be wasting your UAI by doing it.

Wraith

I eat children.
HSC
And there's a guy with 86.55 and doing mx/space.... weird eh?

Space is nice if you feel like doing some fun stuff, and the assignments aren't terribly stressful, at least for the space-specific subjects. Salah (the space head dude) pretty much does exam-less subjects, with emphasis on doing stuff by yourself. They're actually really good courses because you can diverge in a lot of different ways and still get good marks for them.

Doing stuff that is aeronautical specific instead of space is kinda boring - you do a lot more fluid dynamics, a lot more design, and a lot more structural analysis.

The other side of the coin is doing mechatronics or mechatronics/space. These focus more on control theory and programming, rather than structural analysis and fluids. Personally I think these subjects are more interesting, because you're not using just 5 formulae all semester for a certain subject. Adding space on top ot if gets you out of things like materials, and puts you into stuff like flight mechanics or building a satellite. Admittedly the satellite was a bit stressful the day it was due, but it was fun nonetheless.

Breakdown of space-eng subs (that I've been through):

first year: gay course with KC. Waste of time, but means to an end.

second year: this time it was mixed with flight mechanics - the flight mechanics bit sucked, but the space bit was kinda cool

third year: the fun shit..... we built two cubesats - 100mm x 100mm x 100mm satellites.

fourth year: doing shit with GPS & INS... pretty laid back course, nice change for 4th year...

HSC
so i'm basically looking at going into aeronautical (not space), what future career prospects would i be looking at besides freakin maintenance?!?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
u could be anywhere from working in a bank to designing an aerofoil section for boeing

bubu

wat the

how could u possibly work for a bank when u study aerospace??

wat would u do...

make a tunnel so that all transfers of money can be done so forth by streamlined magnet trains

or

a underground shield so that the curvature of the shield is to slippery for robbers to get a good grip on

????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)