After the Bomb 2009 HSC Essay (1 Viewer)

ewd

HSC
Okay, so in class we have just been given the question from last year's HSC paper, but changed slightly to:

Write an essay in which you explore the interplay of the personal and the political in the non-fiction text Hiroshima and one related text that represents ways of thinking in After the Bomb.

I AM FINDING THIS IMPOSSIBLE. Can anyone help me at all? Does the personal mean paradigms such as religious, philosophical and the political mean paradigms such as scientific?
Never ever ever been so freaking confused.
And by interplay, does that mean how they each affect each other? Because I find that political affects personal, not the other way around.
Not that I really understand what either means ahahha

NewiJapper

HSC
Personal basically means the individual.

Interplay, in my own words, how did the political influence the person or vice versa...but if you can only find political influence on personal you should look into the personal side more otherwise it you won't be showing interplay, just really a one way street :p

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Paradigms=dominant ways of thinking of society.
Ways of thinking=specific to composer. May be divergent to the paradigms.

is2buddaflies

madness the magnet
HSC
When i saw this question i thought of examining the way POLITICAL events i.e. holocaust, hiroshima,berlin wall impact individuals on a personal level through the texts.
e.g. Sylvia plath uses the holaucaust as a macabre extended metaphor and allusion to convey her personal hatred towards her father's death and consequential abandonment

marisa carolan

HSC
N/A
Hi
I am a teacher and I think you need to understand that the personal and political are really intertwined in the period. The dominant ideologies ( eastern communism and western capitalism) whilst dichotomous influenced the personal live of all . You can't separate them. Composers responded to these ideologies and the implementation of them in various ways. They reflect the political landscape through personal experiences of the charcaters/situations in the texts generally. Some composers responded, challenged, satarised, critiqued, affirmed the overarching fear and anxiety of the period. Most importantly, you must understand that the period was not static and by the time the wall came down and even before, the ways of thinking had shifted. Look to the historical events and how these influenced the textual responses. Eg existentilism, peace movement, detente etc. Hope this helps as many of you seem confused

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)