After the HSC marks and UAI (1 Viewer)

harmanksaini

HSC
Hi everyone.

I was just wondering, after we receive our HSC marks, instead of waiting a whole day in stress for the UAI, do we just type them into SAM? For people, who have already done the HSC (or know anyone who did), it is accurate?

And after our UAI is released, when do all the university's make their offers? Everyone says early Jan, but my Uni starts in early January... and i was planning to go overseas... so not sure...

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
hey harman,

thats what most people do yes, it'll give you the sort of range that you should expect. but year to year the trends change and so for that reason you find that the UAIs decrease over the years. What I mean by that is a certain set of results on 2003 would have given you a higher result than the same marks in 2005.

it's certainly an indication of it though.

UAI offers come about early Janurary, except for those courses which do start in January which would tell you much earlier then. Regarding going overseas or not, be sure that you call up your uni and be certain about the dates. Unless you have someone here who has been registered to accept offers/make decisions for you, then you'll need to make sure you are in the country for that, and for starting on time. :)

harmanksaini

HSC
:D thanks!! hang on, UAI decreases??? does that mean there would be a greater chance me gettn, say 95, in 2003 than in 2005? hmm... but that explains why UAI cut offs are going down as well... for most courses...

anyways, i had a friend over the other day, and she said that if i scored better than a person in terms of final assessment rank for school marks, then that person cannot get a higher mark in that subject than me... *confused *

so if i completely sucked in maths (rank: 22/97ish) .. and i do well in the HSC... compared to people who did better than me at school... what happens?

and (this is getting long, i know), does anyone do TVET Accounting??? i have no idea whats happening with those marks at all... *frownz*

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
The SAM calculator is a bunch of bullshit...inaccurate.
My friend last year put his marks in, and it said he would get a UAI of %93. The day after he got a UAI of 85%

THE SAM CALCUALTOR IS JUST A SCAM, IT TRIES TO GIVE CREDIT TO THIS WEBSITE AND ITS OWNERS, MAKING PEOPLE THINK "OH SHIT, THIS SITES GOT SAM, IT MUST BE A GOOD SITE"

:D

no offence

harmanksaini

HSC
none taken! :) but i suppose it all depends on how your school went too... but 93 uai and getting 85.... ouch... :( what subjects did your friend do?

snowbunny

HSC
if im overseas when uni offers come out can i accept while im overseas? like call and accept?

i also want to know about the assesment mark/hsc mark..you should get the mark you got in the hsc regardless of your rank..seems stupid

i dont do accounting but i think its your hsc mark that counts..nothing else you dont have an assesment mark..in tourism thats what it is anyway

harmanksaini

HSC
oh ok... yeah the ranks thing kind of stuffed me up...

nah, TVET Accounting is weird... we dont have a HSC exam, did it last year... and 70% of the marks we got in year 11 go into our 'hsc mark" and 30% go in from this year... and were not given the final marks...

so i got no idea :(

gamecw

HSC
Bored of studies will lag crazy on that day!!

snowbunny

HSC
webby234 said:
Your internal assessment mark can not be better than the people who beat you in the rankings - but your HSC exam mark can. They then average the two, so it's certainly possible. For example at my school last year for Maths I was equal first and the guy who was 5th scored 99 in the exam, while me and the guy I was equal first with scored 96. That meant my mark was

Exam - 96
Internal Assessment - 98
HSC Mark - 97

While the guy who was 5th but got 99 in the exam had
Exam - 99
Internal assessment - 96
HSC Mark - 98

Hope that helps :)
thanks i get it now!! that makes sense

harmanksaini

HSC
webby234 said:
No - the UAI is a rank, it just means that on average higher marks are being awarded. And it's not necessarily the case - it depends what subjects you do

Your internal assessment mark can not be better than the people who beat you in the rankings - but your HSC exam mark can. They then average the two, so it's certainly possible. For example at my school last year for Maths I was equal first and the guy who was 5th scored 99 in the exam, while me and the guy I was equal first with scored 96. That meant my mark was

Exam - 96
Internal Assessment - 98
HSC Mark - 97

While the guy who was 5th but got 99 in the exam had
Exam - 99
Internal assessment - 96
HSC Mark - 98

Hope that helps :)

ohhhhh okk.. thanks!!! :D less stressed now :D

tennille

HSC
wrxsti said:
The SAM calculator is a bunch of bullshit...inaccurate.
My friend last year put his marks in, and it said he would get a UAI of %93. The day after he got a UAI of 85%

THE SAM CALCUALTOR IS JUST A SCAM, IT TRIES TO GIVE CREDIT TO THIS WEBSITE AND ITS OWNERS, MAKING PEOPLE THINK "OH SHIT, THIS SITES GOT SAM, IT MUST BE A GOOD SITE"

:D

no offence
SAM uses the previous years' data. So clearly, the estimated UAI by SAM would be different to the 2005 UAI.

By the way, the UAI is not a percentage; it is a rank.

harmanksaini

HSC
webby234 said:
That blanket might be useful for people staying up all night too scared to sleep :p

But yeah - surprisingly I don't remember it being as slow when the results came out as it was in the past week - but maybe I've just forgotton. You couldn't get into SAM though.
hehehe i reckon! i know i would not sleep at all... and as for SAM, i think everyone would know how to work it out by heart by then... omg, im so nervous right now!!

abbashussein

'06 Graduate
HSC
Hey thanks alot every one, this topic has helped me alot.
however i also want to know how significant is the schools rank in your UAI rank?

will effect the upper quartile of students?

abbashussein

'06 Graduate
HSC
harmanksaini said:
hehehe i reckon! i know i would not sleep at all... and as for SAM, i think everyone would know how to work it out by heart by then... omg, im so nervous right now!!

lol heads up, HSC is almost over, no need to be nervous or worried, its all over, and we all have a general consensus of how we did.

anywaiz Good luck with whatever you have left and your HSC :D

harmanksaini

HSC
abbashussein said:
Hey thanks alot every one, this topic has helped me alot.
however i also want to know how significant is the schools rank in your UAI rank?

will effect the upper quartile of students?

hmmm im not sure.. two of my family friends, did similar subjects but went to different schools.. one went to glenmore park high and the other went to penrith high (selective school with a better ranking) and both of them got about high 80s and low 90s for their hsc scaled marks... but one got a UAI of 98.1 (penrith high) and the other got around 89... :( freaked me out a bit

harmanksaini

HSC
abbashussein said:
lol heads up, HSC is almost over, no need to be nervous or worried, its all over, and we all have a general consensus of how we did.

anywaiz Good luck with whatever you have left and your HSC :D
Thanks!!! :D just biology on monday and economics on tuesday! then its all over!! *woot* good luck to you too

abbashussein

'06 Graduate
HSC
Thnx alot :D

damn, so my chances of a UAI greter tahn 90 are gone coz i go 2 a scool not even ranked in the 250 :(

abbashussein

'06 Graduate
HSC
f3nr15 said:
How do you recieve your HSC results via SMS and/or Internet ?
log into BOS official site, and give them your mobile nimber, and your set i thnk, some1 correct me if i am mistaken, but thats what i was assuming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)