• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

After trials ranking (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah im a bit worried also. I know UWS is not the best uni and I heard that employers prefer people from UNSW/ANU/Melbourne/Sydney all those prestige Australian unis.... Although uni performance matters also i guess alot o_O???

tambam

HSC
Is anybody familiar with how Law works with different universities? E.g. are the job prospects dramatically different between completing a degree at Usyd/UNSW vs. UWS/UTS/MACQ.
Yeah, i think industries like law, commerce etc. are super competitive and prestige based, and there's a lot of bias towards the 'better' unis when hiring grads, which is why everyone wants to go to usyd, unsw etc.

Whereas your med, physio or other health related courses/careers are more based on your training, and if you put in the hours, you all end up at the same place.

enoilgam

HSC
Yeah, i think industries like law, commerce etc. are super competitive and prestige based, and there's a lot of bias towards the 'better' unis when hiring grads, which is why everyone wants to go to usyd, unsw etc.
I have to disagree with this, especially with regards to law. Employers are primarily interested in your uni marks, your personality and especially your extra-curriculars (for the top-tier firms likes Blakes, mintons etc, this is often the discriminating factor). The prestige of your uni is a relatively minor factor when it comes to employment, with some firms disregarding it entirely.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
I have to disagree with this, especially with regards to law. Employers are primarily interested in your uni marks, your personality and especially your extra-curriculars (for the top-tier firms likes Blakes, mintons etc, this is often the discriminating factor). The prestige of your uni is a relatively minor factor when it comes to employment, with some firms disregarding it entirely.
Just win lots of uni debates and shit like that.

tambam

HSC
Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org...ni-you-get-your-law-degree-from-really-matter

I think people would LIKE to think it doesn't matter, but at the end of the day, if you have 2 grad students who've both done law competitions, internships during uni etc. and both of them have distinction averages, but one goes to USYD and one goes to UWS, which one would you hire?

enoilgam

HSC
Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org...ni-you-get-your-law-degree-from-really-matter

I think people would LIKE to think it doesn't matter, but at the end of the day, if you have 2 grad students who've both done law competitions, internships during uni etc. and both of them have distinction averages, but one goes to USYD and one goes to UWS, which one would you hire?
The one with the most likable personality. As stupid as that sounds, personality is a huge factor with employers. Also, I am not saying that your uni doesnt matter at all, I am saying that it is a very minor factor. Of course, some employers have a bias towards some universities (ie Usyd and UNSW). However, that doesnt mean that if go to Usyd or UNSW your going to find it easy to get a job. At the moment, law graduates are finding it tough to find work due to an over-supply of graduates.

Last edited:

roflpally

HSC
In UWS, you can't apply for bonus points if you're going to do a Bachelor of Law.

http://www.uws.edu.au/informationabout/tripleadvantage/subjectbonus/courses_not_in_uws_subject_bonus

p.s. You can't really estimate your ATAR with your trials or previous school assessment marks, you should read the UAC pamphlet BEFORE asking amateurs to 'give ATAR estimates' because it isn't possible to... check this out..

http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/faq/

Then open the PDF file 'All About Your ATAR'

you should read it. Hope this informs you more than what these guys are telling you! GOODLUCK FOR THE HSC.

tambam

HSC
In UWS, you can't apply for bonus points if you're going to do a Bachelor of Law.

http://www.uws.edu.au/informationabout/tripleadvantage/subjectbonus/courses_not_in_uws_subject_bonus

p.s. You can't really estimate your ATAR with your trials or previous school assessment marks, you should read the UAC pamphlet BEFORE asking amateurs to 'give ATAR estimates' because it isn't possible to... check this out..

Hope this informs you more than what these guys are telling you!
Mate, maybe you should do some research before flaming everyone else on here on your first post (and attempting to neg me with your non-existant rep power)

Law and Combined Law are too completely different courses, and the link i posted CLEARLY shows that you can get 10 bonus points for economics/law double degree.

As for atar estimates, an estimate is exactly that, an ESTIMATE. Noone is telling him that he is definitely going to get a certain mark, but it is possible to approximate. Even schools give estimations which are often extremely accurate.

michaeljennings

HSC

http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/faq/

Then open the PDF file 'All About Your ATAR'

you should read it. Hope this informs you more than what these guys are telling you! GOODLUCK FOR THE HSC.
who on earth are you coming out this all this as your first post lol....did you even read the link tambam provided?

enoilgam

HSC
As for atar estimates, an estimate is exactly that, an ESTIMATE. Noone is telling him that he is definitely going to get a certain mark, but it is possible to approximate. Even schools give estimations which are often extremely accurate.
This.

tambam

HSC
The one with the most likable personality. As stupid as that sounds, personality is a huge factor with employers. Also, I am not saying that your uni doesnt matter at all, I am saying that it is a very minor factor. Of course, some employers have a bias towards some universities (ie Usyd and UNSW). However, that doesnt mean that if go to Usyd or UNSW your going to find it easy to get a job. At the moment, law graduates are finding it tough to find work due to an over-supply of graduates.
Yeah, there are too many law grads so I guess they have to try to distinguish themselves in any way they can.
And even if it may only play a minor part, coming from a prestigious uni IS a distinguishing factor between two people who would otherwise seem the same (application wise, not personality wise)
Same goes for commerce.. I applied for accounting cadetships recently and they specified that i could ONLY go to usyd, unsw, uts or macq.

lukasheights

HSC
Im not sure though haha for UWS law.. I would love to do it but my parents are strongly against UWS .....

Since they are asian =.= :( they have a bad perspectives towards UWS...

But how can I get 10 bonus points if possible?
You need about 80-ish to do Law and that's the course I want to do at UWS. To me, it's a uni and you should tell your parents that too. With that said, you'll get over 85 easy for your ATAR.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Preferably I would go UNSW/USYD also but i know my atar wouldn't get me into the courses i would like primarily.

But i might consider MACQ also, maybe doing applied finance/eco there :)) and transfer to law 1 yr after.

And guys gurantee i would move my ranks up..

Just need to ace maths =.= :(

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Also my parents are very very very very arrogant and critical koreans who have high expectations =.=... gg

they think UWS law is a complete joke because their peers all go to UNSW and USYD law/commerce etc etc..... When i said i wanted to go to UWS law seriousily i almost got smashed O.O....

I want to do comm/law preferably at MAC

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys also my parents are really critical and arrogant =.=... they hate UWS and think its a total joke because they're koreans and they collectively with their peers view UNSW and USYD as the prestige and only uni really which everyone should attend.... of course and have high expectations like 95+ ATAR is compulsory they say . the fuk =.= stupid

I really want to get 95.9 for macq law/comm but i think its highly impossible due to my maths mark being so bad... even though I 'ace' externals i'd probably end up getting 60-70/100 for 2U.

But yes I would also consider UWS Law/COmm alot because it seems okay + there is a hell lot of bonus points offered. especially for economics like 10 for me O.O...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)