age issues - to defer or not to defer (1 Viewer)

whyjonathan

HSC
i'm a year or two younger than the average high school graduate. i'll (probably) be seventeen by the time uni starts this year, which is basically the only factor in my decision to defer any offer until 2009.

my query is as such: how much of a problem is being a young'n in other people's eyes? at uni, but also when looking for student accommodation. most people starting university are eighteen, or at least close to it, so i assume they probably wouldn't be too keen on living with someone underage. am i going to get shat on in general at university, or is not really that big of a deal?

is/has anyone else been in a similiar situation? i know it would be easier just to defer, but i'm really not to keen on faffing about looking for poorly paid shift work for the next twelve months.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Honestly, I really don't think it's a big deal at all. I know a girl who started uni last year and had only just turned 16 at the time, and it didn't bother anyone that she was younger. Apart from the fact that you can't go out clubbing if that's what your friends are into (none of mine are, so its not the only thing people want to do lol) it's not a problem, and no one will even care or even notice. :)

So don't feel like you need to defer just based on your age, only do it if taking a break from study for a year is what you want to do.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
No one would even know if you didn't say anything. Even so, the atmosphere is very different at uni, it's a slightly more mature (I'm not necessarily referring to age here) and more accepting environment. You will likely to find a group of students you will be friends with.

jannny

HSC
this is like, "Hey im 2 years younger than my bf.. is it ok?"

Age doesnt really matter, noone cares about people's age anyway. Only thing that should matter is if ur responsible enough for your own independent learning.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
yeah it won't matter, if you're seventeen you more than likely can pass for 18/19 anyway, so it's not like people will notice or care.

panicstation

HSC
But what's the hurry? Why not take a year off, earn some money and travel. What's the rush to get into the sausage factory?

Evilo

HSC
Agree with all the above posts, find a group that doesn't drink so you don't run into troubles lol.

Do what you feel comfortble with - if you want to go to uni then do it, if *you* want to defer then do that. Don't let anyone influence you

woodentoy

HSC
i'll be turning 17 this year and i'm going to uni, as well as applying for student residence.

didn't even consider deferring, to be honest.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I felt I started uni too young.

Social life was fine, I learnt very much in this field. But I was concious of the fact I didn't feel mature or settled enough to succeed in academic life. I really just wanted to have a good time.

Didn't hurt though. I would have just wasted a deffered year. I still got reasonable results, and a good attitude has developed out of necessity.

Jon73

human dick-tionary
HSC
defer forever.
get a job at maccas :uhhuh:

whyjonathan

HSC
jannny said:
this is like, "Hey im 2 years younger than my bf.. is it ok?"
oi! :p

thanks for the replies everyone. i'm pretty much set on uni this year, but now i am worrying about finding a place to live. is it possible for a person under 18 to sign a share/rent lease? google isn't helping me in this department. :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)