Agriculture or Biology subject selection ! (1 Viewer)

MarnzBarnz

HSC
HELP!

I have to choose subjects for next year and I'm tossing up between Agriculture or Biology,
I've been doing Agriculture since year 9, im close to the top of my class, I go to PLC pymble and we continually top the state in Ag,
but then Biology sounds a little more interesting, not sure :/
Any ideas?

rockyroad_

HSC
Hey MarnzBarnz!

I was faced with the same decision a couple of weeks ago. I go to a selective Agricultural high school, so agriculture is compulsory in years 7-10. After weeks of thinking/pestering year 11s + 12s + agriculture teachers, I chose agriculture. I chose it based on my ability, how much I enjoyed the subject, and (to a lesser extent) scaling.

The main thing that people kept on telling me was to choose subjects that I would enjoy. In theory, you'd be more likely to enjoy studying (haha...) and awesome marks would come forth. In agriculture, there's more practical stuff (handling plants and animals etc), as well as stuff on running a farm as a business. Biology deals more with the science side of things, so you learn about what stuff is made up of etc.

With the ability bit, if your school tops in Ag and you're topping your class... Whoo, state ranking here you come! Enough said.

Have you talked to seniors that do both subjects and/or agriculture teachers that teach both subjects? Their experiences may help you decide.

Good luck!

MarnzBarnz

HSC
Thanks so much for your reply---you have given me invaluable advice!!

I think I will end up taking Agriculture next year just based on the fact everyone seems to think I could do well in it haha :p
Goodluck to you too ! :)

rockyroad_

HSC
No worries - I'm glad I could help. Maybe I'm looking too much into the wording of your reply, but I hope you haven't chosen it "just based on the fact [that] everyone seems to think [you] could do well in it" (sorry, I'm a noob with the forum quoting thingy). Both subjects are content heavy, so if you want to drop one and pick up the other during the preliminary course you may find it hard to catch up.

Just sayin'. I've probably burst your happy bubble. ):

MarnzBarnz

HSC
Haha no you haven't burst my happy bubble it's all good :p

I think I'll enjoy both subjects but I guess I need to consider which I'll do best in to achieve the highest ATAR (considering the course I want to get into is 99.7 atar cut off)

Anyway thanks for the help :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I think Agriculture sounds like a great choice for you :)

R4diance

HSC
Do what you want to do. Ag sounds like a great choice for you - maybe take a look at some textbooks? That's what I did before I selected my subjects :)

thought-process

HSC
Definitely choose Agriculture, if you've been doing it (like me) for the past couple of years it would be fairly easy for you as the HSC Agriculture exam is nothing new from the topics you've already covered, whereas if you were to choose Biology more content would be introduced as opposed to Agriculture :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)