AirAsia QZ8501 missing (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Sydney Morning Herald said:
A search and rescue operation is underway after an AirAsia flight from the Indonesian city of Surabaya to Singapore with 162 people onboard lost contact with air traffic control on Sunday.

Transport Ministry official Hadi Mustofa said the aircraft, flight number QZ 8501, lost contact with the Jakarta air traffic control tower at 6.17 am local time (10.17am AEDST).

The passengers include 138 adults, 16 children and one baby, and seven crew.

The plane departed at 5.35am Indonesian time (9.35am AEDST) and was scheduled to arrive at 8.30am Singapore time (10.30am AEDST).

An Indonesian transport official said the plane had asked for an unusual route before it lost contact.

In a post on Facebook, AirAsia confirmed the plane was missing.

"AirAsia Indonesia regrets to confirm that flight QZ8501 from Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control at 07:24hrs this morning," AirAsia said.

"At the present time we unfortunately have no further information regarding the status of the passengers and crew members on board, but we will keep all parties informed as more information becomes available."

The aircraft was an Airbus A320-200 with the registration number PK-AXC.

"At this time, search and rescue operations are in progress and AirAsia is cooperating fully and assisting the rescue service," the airline said.

"AirAsia has established an Emergency Call Centre that is available for family or friends of those who may have been on board the aircraft. The number is: +622129850801.

"AirAsia will release further information as soon as it becomes available. Updated information will also be posted on the AirAsia website, www.airasia.com."
http://www.smh.com.au/world/airasia...-singapore-loses-contact-20141228-12em2h.html

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome. :frown2:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
AirAsia Berhad (MYX: 5099) is a Malaysian low-cost airline headquartered near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Girlfriend is flying AirAsia from Thailand to Australia on New Years - this frightened the feel out of me.

Really hoping for a good outcome to this.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Girlfriend is flying AirAsia from Thailand to Australia on New Years - this frightened the feel out of me.

Really hoping for a good outcome to this.
Don't worry :D.

What could possibly go wrong? like two planes in the same week... NO WAY

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
AirAsia Berhad (MYX: 5099) is a Malaysian low-cost airline headquartered near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Not the same airline.

Indonesia AirAsia is majority Indonesian owned and based in Jakarta. AirAsia Berhad only has a minority stake.

ishfish

Lord of the Fries
HSC
you're kidding, you're bloody kidding me!

2014 has been a ridiculous year for air travel, almost 4-5 incidents reported this year (MH370,MH17,QANTAS bomb scares from darwin, Aircraft frame splitting mid air in a European airline, this QZ8501 thing) Prayin' everything goes well for the poor passengers on board.

Looks like I'll just stick to continental drift connecting me to my next destination spot in a couple of million years:rolleyes:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
you're kidding, you're bloody kidding me!

2014 has been a ridiculous year for air travel, almost 4-5 incidents reported this year (MH370,MH17,QANTAS bomb scares from darwin, Aircraft frame splitting mid air in a European airline, this QZ8501 thing) Prayin' everything goes well for the poor passengers on board.

Looks like I'll just stick to continental drift connecting me to my next destination spot in a couple of million years:rolleyes:
It's actually a pretty standard year for air travel. The only reason why it seems bad is because these incidents occurred on well-known carriers. Loads of incidents are unreported by Western media.

CTon

HSC
Anyone know the exact relationship between the main AirAsia (Malaysia) and it's off branch company like Indonesia AirAsia? In typical Tony Fernandes fashion it's all a bit messy to understand. Obviously some form of relationship exists, but as others have said I believe Indonesia AirAsia is majority Indonesian owned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)