Ajudicating (Debating) (1 Viewer)

HSC
Does anyone know how to apply for an adjudicating position in debating (eg. premier's debating challenge etc)? Any links or forms would be of great help. Thanks!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You have to do a course first, to qualify yourself. I have forms for that somewhere, unless I've deleted them. If I find them I'll post more info.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Here's something I found:

HI all

If you know of any ex-students who finished Year 12 in 2008 or earlier who would be interested in adjudicating school debates please pass on this information to them.

The 2009 Adjudicator Training Course will be held at Lewisham Public School on the corner of Toothill Street and The Boulevarde, Lewisham on Saturday 21 February from 9.00am to 4.30pm. This course is designed for those who are interested in adjudicating debates and public speaking competitions for the NSW Department of Education & Training. The training course will consist of workshops on aspects of debating such as method and definition, matter and rebuttal, manner and public speaking. The workshops will be lead by many of the chief adjudicators of the various NSW debating competitions. There will also be an exhibition debate between school teams and a discussion of the roles and responsibilities of adjudicators. Morning tea and lunch will be provided.

For those attending who wish to work in NSW schools as an adjudicator, we need to run a Working With Children Check on the day. To do this, we’ll need you to fill out the attached forms, sign them, and bring them along. In addition, you’ll need to bring along 100 points of identification (please see attached “Proof of Identity” document). If you have any questions about this process, please feel free to email me.

If you’re able to come along, please reply to this email so that we have an idea of numbers. For anyone who can’t make it, there’ll be a day coming up in March in western Sydney. Also, if you know of anyone else who’d be interested in coming along on the day, please feel free to forward this email to them.

Hope to see you there

Lloyd Cameron

Speaking Competitions Coordinator

The Arts Un

HSC
Wow, thanks so much for the info Zero. Yeah, I was looking for the forms and for any info on courses. Should I also contact Lloyd Cameron by email?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
This is the information for last years meet though. However, I do believe he is still the person in charge. So you should be able to contact him and find out. There's a bit more info on contacting him, and the competition itself here:

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/events/statecompetitions/pubdebating.php

AND

http://www.pau.nsw.edu.au/debating/Premiers_Debating_Challenge/index.htm

HSC
Thanks heaps Zero! I was emailing Mr. Cameron, before I realized I's already received the 2010 workshop info (it's from Tony Davey this time) in my inbox! I'd lodged the form ages ago, so I was waiting for a while! Thanks for all the help.

Btw, is it easy to get jobs as an ajudicator? what was the day like?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I didn't actually end up going in the end. It clashed with something else I had on at the time. Possibly theatre or work, I've forgotten now. However, from what I've heard it was apparently pretty good. I don't know what the job rate would be like though. I haven't heard anything.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
If your uni has a debating or public speaking student society/club, I suggest you join it. Should get plenty of adjudicating opportunities there. Meet new friends, brush up on your debating skills, and it should be all good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)