Album of the Decade? (1 Viewer)

L-esky

HSC
Green Day-American Idiot

I don't think I need to add anything more to that at all. That album speaks for itself.

L-esky

HSC
heh

hey L-esky, don't you reckon that isn't their best album though? i'm not exactly a massive green day fan but warning was better imo.
It's all personal opinion. I love American Idiot, I love all their albums actually haha.
But imo, American Idiot is the most decade 'defining' (or however you'd like to put it) of their albums to date. Because, they were really the first commercially successful band this decade to speak out against Bush as President, it sold something like a bajillion and one copies, won a fair few awards, got them banned, made them the biggest band in the world, made them relevant to a new group of fans. That album was a phenomenon if I remember correctly.
As I read Billie Joe Armstrong say in a recent interview, because of the success of American Idiot, "there's nothing to prove anymore" for them. That album really had an impact this decade.

HSC
yeah, definitely had a bigger impact. kind of confused as to whether this thread is about decade-defining albums or just the best albums of the decade. as far as defining the musical landscape, surely up the bracket by the libertines and is this it by the strokes deserve a mention.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
... Let's not forget yunipingu (prob wrong spelling)

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
i agree that american idiot was quite defining (and yes, groucho marxist, what i want to know is the album that defined a generation, not necessarily the best ones) in that it sparked off plenty of anti-america anti-west ignorance.

also i quite enjoy daftpunk despite my semi-hipsterness (minus fluoro).

and, binary star, would you say skinny fists or yanqui uxo was godspeed's 'post-rock decade' defining album? (skinny fists for me, obviously)

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
wow fuck this is a hard one. choices for me would be

binary star - masters of the universe
masta ace - disposable arts
immortal technique - revolutionary vol 2
j dilla - donuts
az - the format
madvillain - madvillainy
nas - stillmatic
jurassic 5 - power in numbers

obviously more i could add just cant think of them now.

binary star

HSC
wow fuck this is a hard one. choices for me would be

binary star - masters of the universe
masta ace - disposable arts
immortal technique - revolutionary vol 2
j dilla - donuts
az - the format
madvillain - madvillainy
nas - stillmatic
jurassic 5 - power in numbers

obviously more i could add just cant think of them now.
masters of the universe is made of win

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
i downloaded merriweather post pavillion on recommendation from all those hip music websites but i never really got into it, is there something wrong with me?
Nah, there is something wrong with scene'sters.

I feel that the prominence of Radiohead, Muse and the like reflect one major trend in the noughties, and perhaps Kanye, Jay-Z etc the other.
Specific albums? meh i dunno.

jonjoony

HSC
in my opinion i loves system of a down toxicity :D

and best auusiie album

parkway drive-killing with a smile

these had me hooked for a long time

Charizard

HSC
Album of the decade and someone says parkway drive.

What. The. Fuck

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Nevermore- Dead heart in a dead world
poisonblack- A dead heavy day
Machinehead- The blackening

been a shit decade for metal tbh

johony

HSC
Album of the decade and someone says parkway drive.

What. The. Fuck
he's wearing shutter shades, so you know you can't take his opinion seriously.

with that said, i think there needs to be a poll.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
and having read through this thread there is so much flippant indie trash being mentioned. you should all be ashamed of yourselves

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It's all personal opinion. I love American Idiot, I love all their albums actually haha.
But imo, American Idiot is the most decade 'defining' (or however you'd like to put it) of their albums to date. Because, they were really the first commercially successful band this decade to speak out against Bush as President, it sold something like a bajillion and one copies, won a fair few awards, got them banned, made them the biggest band in the world, made them relevant to a new group of fans. That album was a phenomenon if I remember correctly.
As I read Billie Joe Armstrong say in a recent interview, because of the success of American Idiot, "there's nothing to prove anymore" for them. That album really had an impact this decade.
The first commercially succesful band to speak out against Bush as president? American Idiot was released 4 years into his term sweetheart.

HSC
parkway drive? fuck you

since i left you by the avalanches is easily the best australian album of this decade, and probably one of the best ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)