• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Algebra (1 Viewer)

mikebox

OK, I have a really (well actually MASSIVE!!!) problem doing Algebra.
I recently moved over to Australia from England and in my education over there we were never taught Algebra.
If it is cool with you guys could you please help me and give me hints on Algebra, like if there are any ways to remeber how to do it etc..

Thanks Guys

:apig: :chainsaw:

^___^
HSC
hmm...

ok..are u having problems with the introduction to algebra?? or a bit harder ones? post some questions to see where abouts ur having trouble...

mikebox

It is basically the start, i have never been taught it and i would say i need to be taught it even though 30% of year 11 stuff is being tested in our HSC in 2004.....

So it isbasically the start, basic equations, i wanna work my way up

mikebox

Firstly Before i put an example up can some1 tell me basic rules of algebra, because i do not know them,

Now an example...hhhmmmmm

3xy+6xy...

4n-5n(squared)+7-9n+1

this kinda stuff

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Ok basic rules.
Similar to normal numbers in simplifying an algebraic expression the following order must be followed:
1 powers, square roots and brackets
2 multiplication & division from left to righ
3 addition & subtraction from left to right

eg. with numbers say u have 3x4+7 this = 19 not 33
you have to do mulitplication first and then addition! yeah?

ok u also have to know how to expand and collect like terms -
a(b+c) = ab + ac
or
(a+b)(c+d) = a(c+d) + b(c+d)
=ac+ad+bc+bd

Fractions are solved like normal fractions

Like terms can be added - so say for ur first question
3xy+6xy = 9xy because x and y are in both - do u get that?

for ur second one 4n-5n^2+7-9n+1 collect like terms
=-5n-5n^2+8
and then simplify
here you have a quadratic 5n^2+5n-8 so u can either use the formula or simplify normally.
x=-5+root of 185 all on 10
or -5 - root of 185 all on 10

that question seems too hard for general maths -- the second one cause im not sure if u guys even know the formula
x=-b plus or minus square root of b^2-4 x a x c all over 2a?

mikebox

Manda, Your correct on that one, we do that kinda quesiton but for some reason i cant remember what Sutho told us...I have a crappy memory

= Jennifer =

HSC
cause u have never done algebra maybe start with the year 7 maths textbooks and then continue on to yr 8,9,10, etc that way u have built the basic concepts to answer the harder questions because most maths is based on algebra

mikebox

I have got my girlfriends books (like from year 7 to 10) and i am about to start to read through them so i will do that

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
What Jennifer is the best thing you can do. Go back to yr 7,8,9 and 10 texts and complete the algebra. In Gen. Maths you can pretty much teach it to yourself, especially algebra. Looking at examples in the text will be your best teacher

sleepy_all_day

You can get a tutor for a few weeks to give you the basics of the stuff, but the text book it the best way, its how i learnt everything i know about school stuff.

ND

HSC
wtf? they don't teach algebra in england?? algebra is the basis of all mathematics, what kind of maths did you do in england? and this is the country that spawned the likes of Newton and Hawking...

victorling

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mikebox
OK, I have a really (well actually MASSIVE!!!) problem doing Algebra.
I recently moved over to Australia from England and in my education over there we were never taught Algebra.
If it is cool with you guys could you please help me and give me hints on Algebra, like if there are any ways to remeber how to do it etc..

Thanks Guys

:apig: :chainsaw:
algebra is not hard/.....try use books like fitzpatrick..it got hundreds of questions with some examples

victorling

HSC
N/A
and btw..i posted a problem-solving thread in this forum
ask me any maths q u dont know
i would be happy to help!!!
haha to make use of my maths knowledge

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol @ victorling. :p

ok, you watch tv, right?
keep your maths textbook(s) handy. Everytime there is a commercial, flip open your book, and do as many algebra (basic algebra first) questions as you can in your head.

may sound stoopid, but think about it. You waste like 15 minutes every hour watching tv cause of advertisements. so PUT IT TO USE! hehe, in a month your algebra will be better than anyone else in your general maths class. guaranteed. Come back to me if it isn't, and i'll give all your money back.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Make sure you know the rules of Algebra -
Everytime I forget how to do an equation or what not, I just refer back to the rules and it basically walks you thru it.
"signpost" maths got me thru school since year 2 plus it starts out with easy Qs then progresses to more harder ones by the time you've finished the section.

Alexander

Gold Member
Lol. I thought i was the only one grey council...but seriously, it dont work...you need to sit at a desk with no distractions and commit to it baby. Besides, how many funny adds are there? answer= (many)*3x/7

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)