All LAW and SCIENCE student at UNI, please HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

TimTam94

HSC
Hi I am currently in Year 12, and still deciding what to do at Uni. I have interests in the Science field and the Law field. However i can never seem to make up my mind on which to do at Uni after school. I most definitely do not want to do a double degree in Science and Law. So i thought i'd ask any of you if you do Science or Law at uni about what you think about it, and about what life at Uni is like. Also like what kind of assignments you get and how the lecturer's are like, and whether they are helpful with assignments and stuff. I'm a very shy and nervous person so when at Uni, I'm going to be extremely nervous if i get called on or something. Also is the course you chose to do hard? Please let me know! thanks so much!!

izzy88

HSC
Just a quick query - at most universities you are required to combine another degree with law. I only know of UTS that offers just a straight law degree for undergraduates and that takes 4 years (so only one year less than doing a combined degree).

What else would you combine law with? (Although it is rare to find combined science/law students, if science is what you are interested in, it would seem a little odd to not combine with science and instead combine law with another degree that you aren't interested in). Why so set against combining science and law?

Shooky_Nooky

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey there :)
Whilst I cannot speak from personal experience, I have two friends currently doing a combined law/science degree (one of them in their second year, the other in their first). From what I've gathered, the second year student is thoroughly enjoying it (even if he finds it a bit tedious at times, just like the majority of law students). I wish I could speak about the first year student, but like me, she has only just begun her law degree ^.^ (I've combined mine with Social Sciences)...
In my honest opinion, I would recommend you do the combined science/law degree (because if you are rather passionate about both your degrees, your interest in your units will make them easier to study :D), and as izzy88 mentioned above, why not just do that extra year and come out with the two degrees instead of the one? (which will happen if you go to UTS and study for 4 years) It'll make you appear much more qualified to future potential employers :D Plus, at some unis, you can drop out after three years if you find that law isn't for you, and you'll still receive your other degree (in, this case your science one). However, that may only be at UWS (and like many, I am sure you don't want to go there:)... I do though, and I don't regret a thing), so you might want to make further enquiries in regards to that :)

And regardless of what uni you do end up going to, lecturers are always willing to offer their help (as long as you make the effort to go and see them out of class) ^.^. And in regards to you being 'called on', if you are meaning in the sense of lecturers specifically aiming a question at you, from what I have gathered, this doesn't happen (well, so far it hasn't, I've only just begun, so in this regard I'm clueless). They usually adress the whole lecture theatre, and if nobody provides an answer (which someone usually will), the lecturer gives one anyway ;)

Also, if you are a bit shy, most universities offer a first year law camp before uni starts. So if you are not the most forthright person (like myself), you will find this extremely helpful in plucking up the courage to talk to your fellow law buddies ;) (or at the very least you will begin to recognise familiar faces before you even start your degree :))

Anyhoo, enough rambling here... best of luck with your decision :) and I am sure many other people on here will offer more helpful advice than what I provided ^.^

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't recommend doing a single Law degree by itself. There are too many graduates at the moment so doing the second degree is a great way to increase your opportunities. It's was a masterstroke for universities to only allow combined degrees for Law as it helps alleviate these issues.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi I am currently in Year 12, and still deciding what to do at Uni. I have interests in the Science field and the Law field. However i can never seem to make up my mind on which to do at Uni after school. I most definitely do not want to do a double degree in Science and Law. So i thought i'd ask any of you if you do Science or Law at uni about what you think about it, and about what life at Uni is like. Also like what kind of assignments you get and how the lecturer's are like, and whether they are helpful with assignments and stuff. I'm a very shy and nervous person so when at Uni, I'm going to be extremely nervous if i get called on or something. Also is the course you chose to do hard? Please let me know! thanks so much!!
If you're shy and nervous then law isn't for you.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
So I wrote a massive spiel about the benefits of doing a double degree but then my computer shitted itself and it all deleted and now I am too disillusioned to retype everything

but I was getting very enthusiastic

and my main point was that you should definitely study law and science. I may just log back in here tomorrow and retype it all. But really, think about it. It would give you a great edge.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
If you're shy and nervous then law isn't for you.
I also wrote a big spiel about this idea because it is wrong! Introverts have many unique and important qualities and are a great addition to any law cohort imo. If you're hoping to become a lawyer, then yes, being shy may be a problem, but there are so many different avenues that you can take with a law degree, particularly when combined with science, and you don't need to be an opinionated extrovert to do well. Being a quiet, introspective achiever would be beneficial in many roles that may be open to you, so don't let that stop you.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I also wrote a big spiel about this idea because it is wrong! Introverts have many unique and important qualities and are a great addition to any law cohort imo. If you're hoping to become a lawyer, then yes, being shy may be a problem, but there are so many different avenues that you can take with a law degree, particularly when combined with science, and you don't need to be an opinionated extrovert to do well. Being a quiet, introspective achiever would be beneficial in many roles that may be open to you, so don't let that stop you.
That's what I meant :)

izzy88

HSC
Just because you are a bit shy now, doesn't mean you always will be. 5 years at uni is a long time, and you can work on those sort of aspects.

Saying that, I don't think being shy means you shouldn't study law. Most corporate lawyers sit at a desk all day and do their work. Many corporate lawyers will not see a court room in their life, and yes there are client interactions - but how you react and what you do when talking to a stranger at age 18 will be completely different to how you react and what you do at age 26/27 when you may have to talk to a client and explain stuff to them.

Bobbo1

HSC
Just because you are a bit shy now, doesn't mean you always will be. 5 years at uni is a long time, and you can work on those sort of aspects.

Saying that, I don't think being shy means you shouldn't study law. Most corporate lawyers sit at a desk all day and do their work. Many corporate lawyers will not see a court room in their life, and yes there are client interactions - but how you react and what you do when talking to a stranger at age 18 will be completely different to how you react and what you do at age 26/27 when you may have to talk to a client and explain stuff to them.
This makes sense, I feel I can do well in the theoretical and writing aspect of law but sometimes I get nervous during public speaking, specially in front of large audiences - hopefully I'll be able to remedy this by the end of uni. Would this affect my marks or can I get away with it? And also how much reading on a daily basis is required for law? (like is it 1, 2, 3 hours?)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This makes sense, I feel I can do well in the theoretical and writing aspect of law but sometimes I get nervous during public speaking, specially in front of large audiences - hopefully I'll be able to remedy this by the end of uni. Would this affect my marks or can I get away with it? And also how much reading on a daily basis is required for law? (like is it 1, 2, 3 hours?)
Depends on what field of law you choose to enter.

Public speaking is important as a barrister. There are many other jobs within law which can play to your strengths.

I'm thinking you could do well within the legal department of a private firm (not in law)?

izzy88

HSC
well if you get involved in mooting etc you'll get over the nerves I think. However there are hardly any (at used in any case) assessments which require you speak in front of a large audience. The only aspect is class participation (generally worth 10%) but its not like you have to stand at the front of the class and give a speech - just make the odd comment etc in class. Class participation marks at usyd only appear in about 4 or so subjects anyway. Most don't have it anymore because the classes are too large.

You can get through law school without hardly speaking at all. Not that I would advise it - you should use uni and its opportunities to work on public speaking etc or anything you find more difficult - rather than 'hiding' from it as such.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Transaction lawyers, particularly those not in litigation, will rarely ever go to court anyway. In litigation lawyers will rarely speak, if there's silks and juniors. So long as you're articulate in a workplace setting, you'll be fine.

I'm fine talking to a group of people (particularly if they're my peers), however, I can a little nervous when it's mooting, or debating etc. I don't intend on becoming a barrister anyway; but it's definitely something that I need to work on.

muhahahahahaha

HSC
Well, okay firstly, I think the second poster in this thread said that most unis dont offer just the plain law degree. Lol, I havent heard of this (I may have been living under a rock for most of my life :/ )
As for OP's question, if you're shy, then areas such as advocacy are probably not for you. However, just because you're shy doesnt mean that law isnt for you. There is a vast array of jobs in the law field, such as revising and developing new statutes. In terms of the question about what kind of assignments we get, you'll find that it does vary a little between different universities. I know that my university is very much practical focused. We get many assignments that require us to speak in front of a 'magistrate' e.g. last year in criminal law, we had to prepare a case in order to persuade the magistrate to allow our client to be granted bail. In saying this though, we also get many written tasks e.g. research papers (esp in the ethics classes). Our final exams usually consist of three questions, 2 problem questions and an essay so you could say that our exams are also quite practical in that we are required to apply the relevant law to the case/scenario at hand. I'm not sure how other unis structure their law exams so maybe some other posters on here could give you some insight on that.
If you have a passion in both Law and Science, I would advise you to do both! Not many students choose Law/Sci and it would be interesting to see where this degree would take you in terms of job prospects :)
All the best with your future studies.

izzy88

HSC
Well, okay firstly, I think the second poster in this thread said that most unis dont offer just the plain law degree. Lol, I havent heard of this (I may have been living under a rock for most of my life :/ )
I was the opposite lol I always thought you couldn't do an undergraduate straight law degree anywhere. I have slowly found out there are places that do it, but most of the universities I have generally looked at don't offer a three year undergraduate law degree Eg. USYD, UNSW, Macquarie offer combined law degrees or graduate entry law degrees. This was brought about in the 90s I think when the university law schools decided law students should have more depth to their education, and they promoted the idea that they study another field along with law.

UWS has a 4 year bachelor of laws (non-graduate entry) but you can't be a school leaver to do it, ie. you have to done 1 year of study elsewhere. UTS and ANU also have a 4 year Bachelor of Law non-graduate entry as well.

Combined law or graduate law programs are more common to my knowledge. However perhaps I'm just showing my sydney-centric background in universities. :p

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not hard to make friends in law (I should know I'm fairly shy), the people are approachable and tight net. The lectures/tutorials are small classes with about 25 or such people, you do group work and discussion.

Bobbo1

HSC
So how much reading is required on a daily basis to get grades for law?? Would be better if someone could actually give me a number answer...

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that is why they promote small lectures, they build up your confidence through class discussion and group work. I wouldn't see them throwing us in the deep end with moots, debates, etc.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
So how much reading is required on a daily basis to get grades for law?? Would be better if someone could actually give me a number answer...
Lecturer said 2 hrs. I spent more time than this, first time reading a case (trying to pick out material facts, ratio decidendi and obiter dicta) and it took me about 6 attempts to totally understand it. Oh boy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)