All Uni students are binge drinkers (1 Viewer)

yuri_gagarin

Banned
HSC
It's beer all the way for boys on a binge | The Australian

It's beer all the way for boys on a binge

Lauren Wilson | March 20, 2009

Article from: The Australian
A TYPICAL Wednesday night out on the town for engineering student Edward Grinter, 20, starts with a "few warm-up" beers at home. For Grinter and his mates, a "few" means eight or 10 stubbies each.
Wednesday night is big in Melbourne's university district. Grinter and mates Matt Flight, 21, Lachlan Dullard, 20, Peter Carnovale, 21 and Frank "Mad Dog" McCormack, 21, will then head to the pub for a few jugs of beer each.
Every jug contains roughly five pots (or middies) and over the course of the evening Grinter says they'll each consume up to three jugs of their favourite lager.
If the night is a particularly "big one" they'll have a shot or two before stumbling home.
These young engineering students are part of a demographic most at risk of dangerous binge-drinking.
The latest report from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare found men are responsible for more than 70 per cent of alcohol-related hospital admissions and are twice as likely to die from alcohol-related illnesses.
But the Rudd Government's alcopops tax was never going to affect the drinking patterns of this particular group of young men, who would prefer to guzzle a beer over an alcopop any night.
The National Health and Medical Research Council refused to use the term "binge-drinking" in its most recent guidelines, but recommends that no more than two standard drinks are consumed on any one occasion.
Grinter doesn't consider himself a binge drinker, although Dullard is more than happy to accept the tag.
"Technically, we're way over the binge-drinking limit, but seriously, every university student is a binge drinker. Everyone here tonight is a binge drinker," he said.
McCormack finds the guidelines a joke. "I can drink 20 to 22 beers before I pass out," he says.
And Carnovale, who said he gets asked to leave the local pub most Wednesday nights because of drunken behaviour, says there is no easy solution to the problem.
"The alcopops tax hasn't stopped binge drinking. People buy straight bottles and mix it themselves. There is no way to stop it," he says, adding, "if you have no money at all you'd still be able to go and get 'goon'."
Cask wine, or "goon" as many students call it, has become a popular alternative to alcopops since the tax hike came into effect last April and raised the price of mixed-spirit drinks by about $1.30 a bottle.
Sam Scott, 20, a business marketing student at Melbourne's RMIT, says beer is his drink, but when money is tight he and his mates share a wine cask. "Binge drinking is a big problem, 90 per cent of university students do it, but if they really wanted to stop it they would have taxed beer and goon bags. We drink the crisp dry white, it's a good buy," he says.

Wow thanks for telling us something we didnt already know you out of touch retards.

Is this just sensationalist journalism or did people really not realise this was the case?

i haven't touched a premixed drink for like a year. not because they are expensive, but because they are shit.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
Beer ftmfw.

Apparently the senate blocked the alcopops tax bill, or something of that nature.

yuri_gagarin

Banned
HSC
umm it says in the article that they are from RMIT...

Edit: this is the article i meant to quote. i quoted the original from the australian.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25212617-421,00.html

Bingers rate 'goon', beer above pricey alcopops
By Lauren Wilson
The Australian

-Unstoppable ... uni students say there's always a cheaper alternative to alcopops.
-Students prefer beer, cheap wine
-Men twice as likely to die from alcohol
-Night 'starts with 10 beers at home'
-A UNI student's claim he drinks "20 or 22 beers" be fore passing out makes a mockery of the Federal
-Government's attempts to curb binge drinking by introducing extra tax on alcopops.

A report from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare found men are responsible for more than 70 per cent of alcohol-related hospital admissions and twice as likely to die from alcohol-related illnesses.

But the Rudd Government's alcopops tax was never going to affect the drinking patterns of this particular group of young men, who would prefer to guzzle a beer over an alcopop any night.

Engineering student Edward Grinter, 20, told The Australian his typical Wednesday night starts with a "few warm-up" beers at home. A "few" means eight or 10 stubbies.

Grinter and mates Matt Flight, 21, Lachlan Dullard, 20, Peter Carnovale, 21 and Frank "Mad Dog" McCormack, 21, will then head to the pub for a "few" jugs of beer each.

While it refuses to use the term "binge-drinking", the National Health and Medical Research Council recommends no more than two drinks consumed on any one occasion.

"Technically, we're way over the binge-drinking limit, but seriously, every university student is a binge drinker," Dullard says.

McCormack finds the guidelines a joke. "I can drink 20 to 22 beers before I pass out," he says.

And Carnovale, who said he gets asked to leave the local pub most Wednesday nights because of drunken behaviour, says the alcopops tax hasn't stopped binge drinking.

"People buy straight bottles and mix it themselves. There is no way to stop it," he says, adding, "if you have no money at all you'd still be able to go and get 'goon'."

Cask wine, or "goon" as many students call it, has become a popular alternative to alcopops since the tax hike came into effect last April and raised the price of mixed-spirit drinks by about $1.30 a bottle.

Sam Scott, 20, says beer is his drink, but when money is tight he and his mates share a wine cask.

"If they really wanted to stop (binge-drinking) they would have taxed beer and goon bags," business marketing student Sam Scott says.

"We drink the crisp dry white, it's a good buy."

Last edited:

yuri_gagarin

Banned
HSC
Um his views are exactly the same as the others?

They all prefer beer. Goon is their choice if they have no money?

One of them i an engineering student and afaik rmit, uni melb and deakin are the only ones that offer engineering in melb

Whats your point?

yuri_gagarin

Banned
HSC
Most of the ones i know do? Well not 22 because 22 is a fair few for the average person. 15 probably.

Yes moral panic is shit, thats what im saying. Why are they telling us this now, when i thought it was basically common knowledge that most uni students have a big night (maybe not 22 drinks) most weeks and most prefer to drink beer and goon over cruisers etc

yuri_gagarin

Banned
HSC
No i work by distance. I only have one or 2 beers during the week too.

but the students on campus in wagga stay out until 3am on thursday mornings and shit. Uni night in at all the pubs. cheap beer and stuff.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Wednesday night is the shit here in the Gong, i didnt realise it was uni night pretty much abroad

Beers are like $2.50/$3, can get like yagabombs for $5 b4 midnight etc, vodka redbull> $4

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The targeting of alcopops and the focus on how "young girls in particular are out of control", was plainly pretty sexist and paternalistic.

Beer and wine cause major problems, but the government can't attack young males (or even older problem drinkers!) drinking because it would be political suicide.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
The alcopop tax didn't work??? Students have found other means by which to get absolutely shit faced?

What a revelation. I am truly shocked.

Nadiaaa

HSC
:spzz:
The older generations love to hate the younger, don't they?
And did they honestly think having a tax on alco-pops would reduce binge drinking? :mad1:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
why is it do engineering students drink alot anywys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)