All you wanna be lawyers... (1 Viewer)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Jago said:
wow, that's pretty noble. Good on you.

i'm going for law because of the importance of it. What you say will impact a man's freedom. Gotta love that feeling of power
lol sssuuurrre Jago. don't lie, you want the chicks in suits!
I want law because I want to work for the govt, and arts don't do much to enhance your standing career wise.

freaked!

The average jail sentence for women who commit serious abuse is also higher then for men... somehting about going against nurturing instinc..shouldn't men have it too.
p.s. wouldn't it be nice if the arts were a decent career path, that involved some kind of future

Kujah

HSC
N/A
magpam said:
omg i once did workplacement at sydney a law court

:sleep: :sleep:

i think lawyers are starting to go out of fashion
Why's that?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
People that i know who want to be lawyers tend to be the type of people who are stuck-up, who try to assert themselves as better than other people, and to be quite honest, i hate those kind of people.

On the other hand, there are people that i have known who are the kindest, nicest guys you could possibly ever hope to meet, who are lawyers.

But people who want to do law and studying for their HSC are all stuck-up, greedy (they're doin' it for the money), pretenious idiots. Based on my experience with these people of course.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Oh, and another thing.

How is it that you have to be "smart" in order to do law? Isn't it just basically memorising and public speaking? I know plently of idiots who can do both fairly well.

cs01001

HSC
Nah, you gotta know the stuff back to front before you can start memorizing and BSing :p

People tell me law is boring...

Kujah

HSC
N/A
We all do, don't we?

What's the UAI needed again for a Combined Law degree?

cs01001

HSC
Fuck, last message before I go. It is 99.55+

Gonna check out the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk in harbour later :)

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
My sister is doing her first year of Law/Arts atm at UNSW. From what I can see, there's a crapload of reading. :eek:

HSC
Faytle said:
My sister is doing her first year of Law/Arts atm at UNSW. From what I can see, there's a crapload of reading. :eek:
oh there is. i know a fair few of first year law students, they always complain how much reading there is lol. they all hate law lol.

cccclaire

HSC
I used to be interested in law, but we went on an excursion to the downing centre or something last year. God it was so boring.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
ahaha omg I wana see the USS Kitty Hawk ! I can't believe it's named that .. [ long story ]

humglish stated why she wanted to do it .. but like is that all thats good about it ? Is there like any passion or interest for the job or is it all just money and status ?

cccclaire

HSC
I used to think I'd be good at it because I like arguing and proving people wrong and stuff.
But I'd get so sick of it, on the excursion they spent like 3 hours debating the meaning of one word.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
cccclaire said:
I used to think I'd be good at it because I like arguing and proving people wrong and stuff.
But I'd get so sick of it, on the excursion they spent like 3 hours debating the meaning of one word.
That's kinda what I mean. Like it sounds like such a tedious and boring job, but I think that I may be wrong. What's the real deal behind it ? Is there something that really is interesting about being a lawyer ?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
sle3pe3bumz said:
That's kinda what I mean. Like it sounds like such a tedious and boring job, but I think that I may be wrong. What's the real deal behind it ? Is there something that really is interesting about being a lawyer ?
Maybe $$$? But there are genuine people out there who are passionate about the law and upholding justice :)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I reckon being a barrister would be tops. all you do is harrass witnesses, backchat fuckers and yell "OBJECTION!" whenever you're bored.

Conspirocy

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
i dont know about you guys, but i think the most interesting thing about law would be finding the cracks in the system...the real technical nitty gritty stuff that might seem unfair but causes an outcome to change.

ive only done some business law for accounting, but clearly its fun to be able to honestly win on a point of law. A lot of law students dont have that kind of mentality, which is probably a good thing, but if I was to study law that would totally be the reason for me. Being able to stick it to someone on a technical issue.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
People that i know who want to be lawyers tend to be the type of people who are stuck-up, who try to assert themselves as better than other people, and to be quite honest, i hate those kind of people.

On the other hand, there are people that i have known who are the kindest, nicest guys you could possibly ever hope to meet, who are lawyers.

But people who want to do law and studying for their HSC are all stuck-up, greedy (they're doin' it for the money), pretenious idiots. Based on my experience with these people of course.
You don't know a lot of people do you?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
S1M0 said:
Oh, and another thing.

How is it that you have to be "smart" in order to do law? Isn't it just basically memorising and public speaking? I know plently of idiots who can do both fairly well.
You have a very superificial view of law , take it from someone who studies it. Law has nothing to do with memorising, you will always have access to legislation and cases. Our exams are generally open book because you CANT memorise it all. Each case is different in law, its about UNDERSTANDING and APPLYING the law. I have seen many who are excellent at memorising fail because they don't understand it. You don't have to be super intelligent (which is a stupid measure anyway since there are many types of intelligence imo) it requires commitment, good English and comprehensions, an open mind, willingness to question things and critical thinking. The UAI does not reflect the required intelligence, its the demand. It has been said a UAI of 80 is sufficient enough 'intelligence' for law. However law apptitude is not reflected by a number, I know people with ,70 UAI who do well, it requires certain skills and abliltities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)