All you want to know about the Educational Access Scheme (EAS). (1 Viewer)

Bookie

Banned
HSC
does anyone know if the uni's assess each application differently or do they just put them in two piles; ie the "successfuls" and the "failures".

im thinking its the latter.

and if so, while it provides some help, its fucking shit. especially with the unjust nature of some students to apply because they changed house a couple of times. try missing 12 weeks and getting back to school one week before trials. it's a bit unjust that someone who doesnt really suffer on a comparative scale to be given the equal subsidisation as someone who suffers more. i wish people would stop complaining about the hsc. its really not that hard. i managed. but still, aside from my bitterness, what do the unis do?

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
That's what I want to know, I have no idea. It just seems that it would be massively unfair if that is the way they do it, without considering individual cases and the amount of disadvantage. I've been chronically ill for the past 3 years, missed massive amounts of school and have only been able to attend about 3 days a week. I was so sick over the trials and hsc exams I screwed my marks up completely... so I know where you're coming from, it is so unjust that there are people in positions like ours who have to compete for places in courses against people who might have moved house or their parents have low incomes etc. They deserve consideration as well, but it wouldnt have had such a massive impact.

Rant over :p

I was told that sometimes you are able to apply directly to the uni, but I'm not sure how true that is. My mum rang the uni I'm hoping to get into and I have an appointment to speak to somebody there about ways I might be able to get in. I don't really think it will help, but I guess anythings worth trying. I wont be getting the marks I need even with the EAS, so it sucks.

Good luck, I hope you get into the course you want :)

nice

HSC
hey guys, can someone plzz answer my question sorry im abit lost.

anyways i applied for the eas scheme and i have a range of disadvantages, my question is that when u get ur uai do they put the extra points u get in ur uai or tht is later when u get accepted to the course???

confused lol?/:confused:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Bookie said:
does anyone know if the uni's assess each application differently or do they just put them in two piles; ie the "successfuls" and the "failures".
Basically UAC makes an assessment of the authenticity, eligibility and severity of your application and each university decides what they make of it. For example USYD can decide they will approve your flexible entry scheme and UWS can decide they won't, the outcome of one not affecting the other.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
i understand that much. but further on, what happens?

[and i know the info is inaccessible, so i dont expect an answer]

because its obvious that they will accept some cases which are more disadvantaged than others. however, out of those which do get accepted, are they given the same advantage?

Winston

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
They reduce the UAI cutoff for the course you want to get into, they don't add points onto your UAI.
They don't reduce the UAI cutoff. They have a certain percentage of how much it offers for each course under EAS. For example, Arts at USYD, they may offer 5% of placements for EAS applicants.

Now if the cut-off was say 85.00, and all the EAS candidates who applied for Arts as their first pref, now say about all up there was 6% of candidates, so there's an additional 1% who would not make it into the EAS placements for Arts.

Obviously for them to determine which 1% is kicked off, is based on the the highest to lowest UAI in that batch of applicants, so you're still competing for EAS places for your course.

It should be made apparent that it's not like "EAS reduces the course you chose by 5 - 10 UAI marks", It is UPTO, and it is not any reduction, but it is leeway, and you get thrown in the EAS placements for that course.

There are also other factors, for example if they say they offer 5% Arts EAS placements, but if the course ends up having vacancies, they're fairly lenient at times.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I'm asking this for a friend.

But say their first preference is usyd aeronautical engineering which is 99.4 i think? And their second preference is unsw science/law which is 99.2.

If they scored 99 and applied for eas, but then was rejected from aeronautical engineering, would they have the same chance of getting into unsw science/law as say someone else who scored 99 also with eas (and assuming their circumstances were exactly the same) but put unsw science/law as their top preference?

So succinctly, does the preference list make any difference to the final allocation of eas places? Especially if it's different unis too haha.

I wish i could get easex ;)

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
No, I dont think that it makes a difference. I'm pretty sure that its the same as with everyone else; if you miss out on your first preference, you have an equal opportunity to recieve an offer for your second course as someone who had it as their first. They just treat it the same. It could depend on the uni though, since they have different schemes which applicants are assessed under, like USYD has the Broadway scheme.

Wish I was getting 99 :p

Jesykka

HSC
Can you apply for EAS because of long term conditions if you have not done so in the past?

I feel like my study has been disrupted pretty badly for year 11 and year 12 because of a condition I was diagnosed with at the end of 2005. However it is documented that I've had this condition, dealing with it for atl east five years now. It just reached a more severe and noticeable point in 2005/2006 and the pain of discovery and treatment is what did, and continues to, interupt my study.

I've been informed that long term conditions don't count as cause for special consideration in HSC exams, so I'm a little perplexed by this. I feel there's a chance they will deny me based on the fact that the I've had the condition almost all through highschool and never applied for special consideration. It DID affect my study then also, but not nearly as much as after the diagnosis.

I continue to have relapses of this condition that disrupt everything too. I feel like recovery is harder than the actual condition but because I didn't ever apply fo anything in the past they may look at that and think I must not have been affected. And really, most people who probably consider that because Im beng treated now, things must be better.

Erk, not sure if this will make sense.

Any advice?

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Just to clear it up, the EAS and special consideration are two different things!

The Educational Access Scheme is for long term disadvantage during year 11 and year 12, which means that yes you'd be eligable to apply since your condition has effect these years. You can't have applied for it before because you've never completed year 12 before :p.

If your claim is accepted then universities will take your disadvantage into consideration - for example some will allow you into your course if your UAI is up to 5 points below the cut off. The forms are only filled out later in the year though and the effects on your schooling need to be documented by your school, a medical professional and you also fill out a bit of it on how you think its affected you.

Where as special consideration - applying for illness/misadventure - during the HSC exams is only if something has affected your performance in a specific exam. You can't apply for illness/misadventure for a chronic condition unless you experience a flare up or worsening of symptoms during the exam period. If your application is successful you recieve your assessment mark as your HSC if your exam mark ends up being lower.

Also, I'm not sure how your conditions effect you during exams but have you considered applying for Special Provisions? If not you should look into it because there might be something that could help.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Say you redo the HSC the following year or another year, can you apply for EAS based on your disadvantage/s of the previous/first year?

NOTE: I never applied for EAS in '06 as it wouldnt have helped one bit.

Last edited:

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
are you redoing the hsc? :p

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that!

I know that if you do the HSC over 2 years like I did you can, but then again I had the same disadvantage throughout and its not the same as repeating.

I think that yes, you probably can, since it counts for disadvantage in both years 11 and/or 12 anyway. Except when you have to list the schooling years effected you'd only list those specific years. So if you repeated in 2007, but only had problems in 2006 then you'd only put down 2006?

That's just a guess though!

mincedpork

HSC
hey guys, will being an international student and going through this EAS scheme make the cut off entry even lower??

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
mincedpork said:
hey guys, will being an international student and going through this EAS scheme make the cut off entry even lower??
International students have the same equiv entry marks, unless the uni has a special admissions scheme for accepting international students such as the ISAT test or their own, according to uac "International students are not elegible for the EAS scheme".

Last edited:

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
when they say "speration and divorice" but your parents aren't "separated" they just fight a hell of a lot, how could you go about proving that? and would that even be considered by UAC?

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
To have enough documentation you would probably have had to be seeing a counsellor and your school would have had to have been made aware from the start you were having family difficulties over the past year. That's because you would need lots of documentation eg letters from a counsellor who knows how much it has affected your schooling and why, and then someone from your school like your principal would have to document how long they've known about the disadvantage and how much it has directly affected your schooling (compared to your performance before). If you havent been seeing a dr or counsellor and your school hasnt been aware of it, you'd have a hard time proving it.

Also, I don't think it would come under separation/divorce because your parents havent. You'd have to speak to someone from UAC or someone at your school I guess, I dont know how bad it is for you but be aware it needs to be extremely severe family disruption, not just parents fighting a lot.

cyj3334

HSC
does anyone know about EAS??

hi pplz well im tending to apply for Educational Access scheme but im not sure if ma situation is eligible or not.
i suffered domestic violence from my step father and he's got AVO against me for 2years(end of yr 10 ~ year12 term1) from police.
so ma family is getting special benefit which is family assistance from centrelink as noone can financially support ma family and ma parent are in process of divorce now.
i couldn't concentrate on my study as so many things has happened and the domestic violence was quiet mentally traumatic.
i have some police statements to prove it.
do u guys think im eligible for the scheme???:confused:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Re: does anyone know about EAS??

Yes.

You should definitely apply - get your careers advisor/year coordinator to help you :)

donthaveaname

HSC
N/A
Re: does anyone know about EAS??

can you apply for EAS if you have a health care card(financially disadvantaged)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)