• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Already know their results... (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You know what's scary?

Who knows, he could've changed his results....

He said he couldn't change them, but the computer geek he is, who knows....

Dropkick

Who's the computer geek? Me?
And the director general of the real BOS was on the radio today, saying it wasn't possible to change the marks.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Of course he is going to say that.

Even if the student did change his marks, do you think the director general would come out and say "I'm afraid these students were able to change their marks, and there is no way of knowing who it was so live with it."?

Skeeta

HSC
yeah they also said it wasnt possible to access the marks... however, i doubt he changed them coz on the news i saw he only got 1 band 6..

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Umm, from the impression that I got - all they did was use some java trick to access results which were already there was on site, just hidden from public consumption. What they did is like 6000 miles away from the level you'd need to actually change them.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Well if you were going to change your marks you wouldn't give yourself marks like 100, 100, 99, 100, 99, it would look too obvious.

For all we know he could have changed band 3-4s up to band 5-6s :S

But I know nothing of the matter, so anything I say or do should not be taken seriously.

Skeeta

HSC
i think its pretty dumb that they basically have them on the internet waiting for someone to press a button for them to be released from the public.. no wonder people accessed them..

Youd think they'd be in a maximum security prison with no electricity untill 5.59am on friday morning when a magical leprechaun enters them into the computer at 101493857094385745209824592857 digits per second

so much more secure...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Nah, trust me, the way they did it gave them absolutely no access to the marks, just the reporting of the marks. They didn't access the actual BOS database, they accessed a page which essentially already on studentsonline, just hidden from public view - cuz think about it, it's not like they're going to type them all up tomorrow night is it?

Skeeta

HSC
glycerine said:
Nah, trust me, the way they did it gave them absolutely no access to the marks, just the reporting of the marks. They didn't access the actual BOS database, they accessed a page which essentially already on studentsonline, just hidden from public view - cuz think about it, it's not like they're going to type them all up tomorrow night is it?
you are forgetting about the magical leprechaun

LazyBoy

HSC
yes its a totally different skill level. i very very very much doubt he could have changed his marks. (or hers...lol) but it runs of a database. and the results page is just locked until a certain condition (the date) is met. once thats met, it displays the results. what the person did was find a bypass to show the conditional page. reasonably simple. it just takes a well rounded knowledge of web development.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Whoever said that because that guy went to Ruse that his UAI will be higher than someone going to a normal school obviously doesn't understand how the moderating procedure operates. The HSC take the school etc. into account and therefore the school is irrelevant. His assessment marks were much lower than his examination marks, meaning that maybe Ruse's supremacy has come to an end...

Moose

HSC
N/A
There was no "hacking" taking place, and there was no single "hacker". The access to the page was done via a simple javascript change which caused a page to be opened that was online but not linked to by the BOS. This was the page containing the student's results.

Everyone who accessed their marks using a website created by the "hacker" did exactly the same thing he did. The only difference was that he worked out how, and made it into a website.

There is no way anyone could view anyone elses' marks without their student number and PIN.
There is also no way anyone could change their marks. No one had access to the database, only a HTML document generated from data within the database.
Changing marks would require _real_ hacking, ie. gaining access to the computers on which the database resides and then modifying it. Even if that did happen, chances are the database is only for web use, and that there is a secondary database which stores the results for other purposes (like sending to UAC).

What happened is similar to if I made a page online, but never linked to it or told anyone the URL. Then one day someone stumbles upon the page by "guessing" the address.

The BOS shouldn't have made this possible until Friday.

Skeeta

HSC
and this is where the leprechauns come into place...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Chances are the marks have already been sent to UAC, so even if you change it on Students Online it wouldn't matter. And surely Board of Studies would double check the results of those who logged in to make sure nothing's altered.

As for the hacking, breaking into a computer and altering data for personal benefit sounds more like a cracker to me. Hackers only do it for the thrill.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Yeah, if the UAI comes out on Sat they've prolly got most of them calculated already, if not all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)