Alternatives to med (1 Viewer)

ishq

brown?
HSC
rockstar01 said:
If u dont get into med what will be your other preference
I was asked the same question just this morning.....:D
And...seriously..I dont know.
I could do just so many things....(except engg :D)
But, for now, Med is the aim.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
actuarial stud + law cos i like maths sooo much..
Me too, and me too. Though i did comm/law at sydney cause I believe the law is better at sydney (marginally). But the maths just isnt the same in comm i wanted the acst challenge =P

But then again, what's the point of doign teh degree which is REALLY work intensive, and end up with high Cr/low D at best? You'll be beaten out by the law people who will do well when cobmined with some other degree for the law job, and beaten by the people who solely do acst for a high-paying comm job. The degree on its own used to matter a lot but now its almost worthless. So to me, a comm/law deg with Ds is way more valuable than an acst/law with probably cr's, if you want to talk money....just my 2c though.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
~*HSC 4 life*~ said:
it's true, Vets get a lot, but so they deserve it

man i felt so jipped when i heard chiropractors make more than pharmacists, what the! :p
they do a masters ... .. tats already lots of money..

i dunno... pharm is pretty overrated... lots of ppl become retail pharmacist?! =(
its almost a B.SalesAssistant(drugs)

WHERE are the clinical pharmacologist!? now tat is a kewl job

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
011 said:
Me too, and me too. Though i did comm/law at sydney cause I believe the law is better at sydney (marginally). But the maths just isnt the same in comm i wanted the acst challenge =P

But then again, what's the point of doign teh degree which is REALLY work intensive, and end up with high Cr/low D at best? You'll be beaten out by the law people who will do well when cobmined with some other degree for the law job, and beaten by the people who solely do acst for a high-paying comm job. The degree on its own used to matter a lot but now its almost worthless. So to me, a comm/law deg with Ds is way more valuable than an acst/law with probably cr's, if you want to talk money....just my 2c though.
lolz i did the work on tat already :)
it was to give me a taste of Law and as an option..
then if i didnt want it.. i could drop into normal acturial studies .. and i was planning this all for macq...

but then i found my med calling :D

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
i will always see med as a really frustrating pathway

not because of the work, but because you aspire to always do more than you can

otherwise you are a cold hearted bastard :p but it reminds me of some of the stories of anaesthetists in sydney, i heard one of the trainees at north sydney i think committed suicide recently

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
not that i've wanted to be a doctor, but you could do med sci and become a forensic scientist ! seems cool.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
the chiro ppl usualli have to.. (well a lot of the time .. its a masters)
see i have respect for the pharmacist tat do tat.. but if its just doleing out the scripts at the hospital tat EXACTLY the point i make... its a pretti repetitve job?!
(altho .. its "spot all the med's mistakes" :p)

unless ure talking about clinical pharmaco research at hospital... see i reckon tats where the fun is at ;)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
forensic science has limited pathways methinks- unless youre lucky enough to get a job with the police or something else like that...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
forensic science has limited pathways methinks- unless youre lucky enough to get a job with the police or something else like that...
wat do u do there? like with the forensics science.. isnt it research.. and i kno .. it aint lik CSI :p... its actual work and thinking (tho the guy is freaky.. )

cos i kno u need a med degree and a pathology fellowship to be a medical examiner..

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
wat do u do there? like with the forensics science.. isnt it research.. and i kno .. it aint lik CSI :p... its actual work and thinking (tho the guy is freaky.. )

cos i kno u need a med degree and a pathology fellowship to be a medical examiner..

ah i didnt know that :(

there goes my dreams of being a sexy red haired criminal investigator

goes back to watching crossing jordan while loading csi dvds

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
011 said:
Yes, and what did you find?
i would have preferred not to do Law =)

too much writing :p and thinking..

//edit: sorri josiekiller.. its lik tat.. jordan in crossing jordan is a pathologist.. but mabbe forensic sci grads.. are the lab techs?

Last edited:

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
hmm... i think i've been watching too much CSI and related shows, and books.

but something about the whole testing for things, going on hunch/instinct and finding that you're right, and that you helped solve a crime sounds pretty cool. except i think i'd be too paranoid to do a job like that

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
i would have preferred not to do Law =)

too much writing :p and thinking..
Oh right yeah, i meant not between law/med but about how hard it was to manage acst/law and whether comm/law is/was a better alternative.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
see i have respect for the pharmacist tat do tat.. but if its just doleing out the scripts at the hospital tat EXACTLY the point i make... its a pretti repetitve job?!
but i reckon if you think about it, pretty much every job is repetitive

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
the chiro ppl usualli have to.. (well a lot of the time .. its a masters)

unless ure talking about clinical pharmaco research at hospital... see i reckon tats where the fun is at ;)
And I'm sure a GP is forever diagnosing colds and mild throat infections:p

santaslayer

HSC
Lexicographer said:
That's quite an offensive post you know. Nursing is an equally respectable clinical vocation to Doctoring - the focus is simply aimed at a different aspect of health care.
It wasn't meant to be offensive. It is a fact that Nursing does not get paid nearly enough as a doctor for obvious reasons. I was only illustrating other 'fringe benefits' you might come across whilst pursuing a Nursing career. I would be extremely happy if I came across someone of such intelligence and wealth. :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Medical Science isn't normally enough to qualify you for work in the forensic sciences, because you need extensive knowledge of forensic investigation and court practice, something you just WILL NOT get in a BMedSc. That said, graduates of a Forensic Science course like the ones at UTS or UNCLE will tend to compete for jobs as criminal investigators for the police, other kinds of investigation work for various government offices (like the environment one, I don't think it's called the EPA here) and even chemical companies.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
kimmeh i think it is.. cos med a lot is in insurance too we do bout tat.. if i were a GP
Think about this, you tell me how many people in sydney have pets, then tell me how many people take their pets on a regular basis to the vet. Half of the time people have a dog so that it can eat all the food scraps from the table.

How much does it cost you to set up a GP consult from scratch? Compare that to opening up a Vet surgery from scratch. Do you have to pay wages for the 20-30 other people working for you?

Insurance? we barely have enough money to live on, let alone pay for insurance ...

~*HSC 4 life*~ said:
it's true, Vets get a lot, but so they deserve it
what are you comparing this to? what data says that im going be earning heaps of money as a vet?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
they do a masters ... .. tats already lots of money..
their masters is already a part of their degree. its like the MBiomedicalEng/Bsci or something like that at UNSW
Lexicographer said:
That said, graduates of a Forensic Science course like the ones at UTS or UNCLE will tend to compete for jobs as criminal investigators for the police, other kinds of investigation work for various government offices (like the environment one, I don't think it's called the EPA here) and even chemical companies.
i put this down as my choice..somwehere in the 9 :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)