• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Always run out of time in exams? Yeah... (1 Viewer)

livvexx

HSC
:vcross: As a current Year 12 student in the process of completing the Higher School Certificate, I find myself in an irked, or more to the point, frustrated, disposition. I will give you an example as to why. One of the units I study is History Extension. In an effort to prepare us for our mid-year examinations, our teacher has each student write, each week, a paragraph on a historian and their individual view and context. This is all very well. Each student, from the most seemingly studious to the motivationally-challenged would write this paragraph in a night for submission the next day. My work, because I have been allocated sufficient time to allow myself to properly think and compose expression, is of a high standard. I have, throughout the year, consistently maintained an A grade level of writing (it should be here that I do a bit of character-profiling of myself. I’m blonde (literally, as in hair colour), therefore this is what people think of me (yeah, the stereotype). An A grade for me, reflects time to think about something. No joke intended). However, come mid-year exams and this work which I have thoroughly revised and studied and attempted to duplicate in my response, is not reflected by my mark which I would describe as certainly less than satisfactory. This is a universal consensus over all my courses. The issue I have is not in knowing the content, or even the application of it. The issue I have is that the examination time the Board prescribes does not allow us, as students, to collect ourselves and properly formulate our ideas during an exam. To churn out an outstanding essay with four paragraphs that have great expression, littered with quotes or dates or facts depending on your subject, in a span of 45 minutes, which is what we are expected to do, is an exceedingly high expectation for the 16-18 year olds of New South Wales who complete the HSC. I feel that with the current time allocations we are given, does not provide the opportunity for students to present their best work and hardly what they are capable of. The only people who would argue that the current time allocations for exams are sufficient would be those students who do not have the knowledge, have not put in the effort, and hence are the ones who sit twiddling their thumbs or doodling on paper because they have finished their paper early. I believe you will find that these students do not produce high or mid-range results. The only other groups of objectors would be those who believe this is done as a discriminator to determine the great students from the masses; the supernatural.

The phrase “I ran out of time” should be classified as a cliché and made part of HSC jargon. Just a thought.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
i somewhat agree, i often run out of time.

But heres another thought.

Often in subjects like history, english and economics where an assessment task worth 10 - 15% can be simply writing an essay during an exam, the time is not long enough for me, with 50 minute periods.

But some school have periods for up for 100 minutes and therefore have more time.

Anyone agree?

jcurry

HSC
Do you do practice essays at home where you allocate yourself only 45mins to write that Superhuman essay? If not doing this could help greatly as you would then be more prepared to condense your ideas i suppose into something that is possible to do in 45mins.
I suck at english btw so don't take anything i say as great advice.

HSC
i know exactly what you mean. in the same day, i got my results back for a drama assignment and an inclass english essay.

i got 20/20 for drama. and 13/20 for english.

i understood english better than drama. the practice essay i did i was told i would get 20/20 for.

and the more i study english, the bigger my ideas get. it troubles me.

i rarely run out of time. i just cannot think for the life of me.

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
i somewhat agree, i often run out of time.

But heres another thought.

Often in subjects like history, english and economics where an assessment task worth 10 - 15% can be simply writing an essay during an exam, the time is not long enough for me, with 50 minute periods.

But some school have periods for up for 100 minutes and therefore have more time.

Anyone agree?
Shouldn't make a difference with your internal assessments, as you're being ranked against the rest of your grade, so everyone you compete with IN THAT ASSESSMENT has the same time limit as you. It works that way for other schools too, and it doesn't matter whether they have longer periods or shorter. In any case, teachers take into account time constraints, and the question is usually adjusted to that. Also, because your whole grade is exposed to that, the added pressure of time is usually a good indicator of someone's understanding + exam technique. Just something you have to learn to deal with.

OP - you have to practise essay writing under exam conditions. Many times. Just make up a bunch of essay questions that relate to whatever course you're doing and write an essay for x amount of time answering them. You'll find with practise you improve. :)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
As annoying as it is that you wont get enough time to write essays under exam conditions to a certain standard, you have to train yourself to get around this.

A way to do this is to do as many practice essays as you can. At the begining, dont do it under any time limit, but just however long it takes you to formulate ideas etc. After that read through your essays as many times as you can until you can remember important quotes, phrases etc, so then when you are in exams you do not have to think hard to come up with them, but they are like second nature to you. Then start doing practice essays under times conditions, but start with something like 1 hour and then decrease it to 40 minutes.

Try to learn a variety of topic sentances that deal with the issues at hand (im not 100% sure because I dont do history extension) but this will allow you to quickly come up with the major points you will be discussing in your essays under timed conditions

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
livvexx said:
As a current Year 12 student in the process of completing the Higher School Certificate, I find myself in an irked, or more to the point, frustrated, disposition. I will give you an example as to why. One of the units I study is History Extension. In an effort to prepare us for our mid-year examinations, our teacher has each student write, each week, a paragraph on a historian and their individual view and context. This is all very well. Each student, from the most seemingly studious to the motivationally-challenged would write this paragraph in a night for submission the next day. My work, because I have been allocated sufficient time to allow myself to properly think and compose expression, is of a high standard. I have, throughout the year, consistently maintained an A grade level of writing (it should be here that I do a bit of character-profiling of myself. I’m blonde (literally, as in hair colour), therefore this is what people think of me (yeah, the stereotype). An A grade for me, reflects time to think about something. No joke intended). However, come mid-year exams and this work which I have thoroughly revised and studied and attempted to duplicate in my response, is not reflected by my mark which I would describe as certainly less than satisfactory. This is a universal consensus over all my courses. The issue I have is not in knowing the content, or even the application of it. The issue I have is that the examination time the Board prescribes does not allow us, as students, to collect ourselves and properly formulate our ideas during an exam. To churn out an outstanding essay with four paragraphs that have great expression, littered with quotes or dates or facts depending on your subject, in a span of 45 minutes, which is what we are expected to do, is an exceedingly high expectation for the 16-18 year olds of New South Wales who complete the HSC. I feel that with the current time allocations we are given, does not provide the opportunity for students to present their best work and hardly what they are capable of. The only people who would argue that the current time allocations for exams are sufficient would be those students who do not have the knowledge, have not put in the effort, and hence are the ones who sit twiddling their thumbs or doodling on paper because they have finished their paper early. I believe you will find that these students do not produce high or mid-range results. The only other groups of objectors would be those who believe this is done as a discriminator to determine the great students from the masses; the supernatural.
Please don't tell me you're whigning about the time allocation. It's there for a reason, to separate the knowledgable students from those that continue talking about shit.

You're meant to make every second count, every word count, 45 minutes is more than enough to do it. If you dislike it, please provide a better solution - should we just make all essays hand-in essays where students can just literally ask anyone to do it for them?

I also really disagree with -
livexx said:
The only people who would argue that the current time allocations for exams are sufficient would be those students who do not have the knowledge, have not put in the effort, and hence are the ones who sit twiddling their thumbs or doodling on paper because they have finished their paper early.
I for one, am not a prominent English student relative to my grade, but I know for sure that the top students never whinge about how much time they have. Why? Because they're practising their essays within the given time frame repeatedly. In a 40 minute essay, they'll only give themselves 35 minutes to write it out.

I'm seeing this whole view as someone who is ill prepared when it comes to in-class essays, not someone who is truly against the time allocation.

PS. Although you did use correct spelling/punctuation, PLEASE use paragraphs, it was a wall of text to read.

HSC
You'd probably have more time if you didn't use so many damn commas. It took me twice as long as it should have to read that.

tryin2study

HSC
livvexx said:
:vcross: As a current Year 12 student in the process of completing the Higher School Certificate, I find myself in an irked, or more to the point, frustrated, disposition. I will give you an example as to why. One of the units I study is History Extension. In an effort to prepare us for our mid-year examinations, our teacher has each student write, each week, a paragraph on a historian and their individual view and context. This is all very well. Each student, from the most seemingly studious to the motivationally-challenged would write this paragraph in a night for submission the next day. My work, because I have been allocated sufficient time to allow myself to properly think and compose expression, is of a high standard. I have, throughout the year, consistently maintained an A grade level of writing (it should be here that I do a bit of character-profiling of myself. I’m blonde (literally, as in hair colour), therefore this is what people think of me (yeah, the stereotype). An A grade for me, reflects time to think about something. No joke intended). However, come mid-year exams and this work which I have thoroughly revised and studied and attempted to duplicate in my response, is not reflected by my mark which I would describe as certainly less than satisfactory. This is a universal consensus over all my courses. The issue I have is not in knowing the content, or even the application of it. The issue I have is that the examination time the Board prescribes does not allow us, as students, to collect ourselves and properly formulate our ideas during an exam. To churn out an outstanding essay with four paragraphs that have great expression, littered with quotes or dates or facts depending on your subject, in a span of 45 minutes, which is what we are expected to do, is an exceedingly high expectation for the 16-18 year olds of New South Wales who complete the HSC. I feel that with the current time allocations we are given, does not provide the opportunity for students to present their best work and hardly what they are capable of. The only people who would argue that the current time allocations for exams are sufficient would be those students who do not have the knowledge, have not put in the effort, and hence are the ones who sit twiddling their thumbs or doodling on paper because they have finished their paper early. I believe you will find that these students do not produce high or mid-range results. The only other groups of objectors would be those who believe this is done as a discriminator to determine the great students from the masses; the supernatural.

The phrase “I ran out of time” should be classified as a cliché and made part of HSC jargon. Just a thought.
haha u rote lyk an essay on dis

me121

Premium Member
HSC
1. Use a slightly larger font, you have my eyes decieving me.

2. Everyone in the exam has the same about of time, and they examiners don't expect you to have the perfect essay (for English that is), they mark it as a first draft.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
I agree with much of what you (livexxx) have said. I too am a perfectionistic English & History Ext student, who struggles with time because they know too much content. But we have to learn ways to use time effectively. Tips:

1: As much as we would like to churn out perfect essays in a time-constrained environment, the markers don't expect us to. So a first draft is fine and can easily receive full marks.

2: For History Ext, writing a paragraph on historians is good, but writing bullet points is better. They cover answers to the key questions which can be easily integrated into the examination essay. Plus, when I write full-on paragraphs with perfect sentence structure, I often find myself attempting to duplicate that exact, perfect paragraph and 99% of the time it just doesn't work. It is easier to remember 10 bullet points than a convoluted paragraph.

3: Timing is there for multiple purposes, a) to be fair to the markers who must read thousands of responses and b) to enable the prepared, concise learners to shine. A shorter essay answering the set question is always better than a long one which, while displaying your obvious knowledge, "waffles on" (to use a term repeated many times by my teachers).

In short, it's a constraining environment for the creative mind, really. But the Board of Studies is looking for people who can adapt to the set conditions and perform well. Just do it for the next few months, then we convoluted perfectionists are free to write for years.

:)

champo14

HSC
tommykins said:
Please don't tell me you're whigning about the time allocation. It's there for a reason, to separate the knowledgable students from those that continue talking about shit.
^ +1

If you want to write a novel on the topic then you're right, 45 mins is not enough time.

But you seem to be missing the point of the exam ( to me at least). The goal of the exam is to answer the question. This can easily be done in 45 mins, and what separates the good students from the mediocre are the ones that can answer it with out including irrelevant points and waffling on. (Which, from your post, you seem to have a habit of doing.)

The HSC is exactly that; the HSC. There's no use complaining about how the system is flawed. You're best bet is to learn how to play the game, practise hard and you'll come out on top. If you start now there's plenty of time.

Good luck

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
what's wrong with usng the default font? -______-

everyone has the same time as you- just because you a) can't write fast b) can't write concisely c) can't manage your time doesn't warrant a big cry on bos.

=]

Mr.Cassimatis

HSC
i agree with you, but also take into consideration that the level and standard that you do your half yearly at may be at a higher level than the HSC itsself, which is evident in several schools, such as mine lol. But nevertheless i am sure that your teacher is delibaretly setting you a hard exam so he/she may not only further perpare you for the big one at the end of the year, but also motivate you to work harder through these difficult tasks.

P.S who are you doing/what event are you doign for your major work, thx

Zephyrio

HSC
When faced with an essay question, it really really frustrates me when (and tis is 100% of the time), I don't write ALL that I know to validate my thesis. Whether this be from knowing the texts too well or whatever, I'm always left with an empty feeling knowing that I could have included more of technique A or analysis B. It's frustrating, even when I wrote 1200 words for my essay on Wild Swans today. Could have written more to substantiate my argument, but meh - such is life.

Last edited:

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
livvexx said:
I feel that with the current time allocations we are given, does not provide the opportunity for students to present their best work and hardly what they are capable of.
totally true. but then again, there really NEVER is enough time for that. its really just about working out the best way to demonstrate all that you know in a specified time period, and hoping your ideas are better than the person's next to you.

livvexx said:
The only people who would argue that the current time allocations for exams are sufficient would be those students who do not have the knowledge, have not put in the effort, and hence are the ones who sit twiddling their thumbs or doodling on paper because they have finished their paper early.
how i hate those people.

tania O

HSC
tommykins said:

You're meant to make every second count, every word count, 45 minutes is more than enough to do it. If you dislike it, please provide a better solution - should we just make all essays hand-in essays where students can just literally ask anyone to do it for them?

I also really disagree with -

I for one, am not a prominent English student relative to my grade, but I know for sure that the top students never whinge about how much time they have. Why? Because they're practising their essays within the given time frame repeatedly. In a 40 minute essay, they'll only give themselves 35 minutes to write it out.

I'm seeing this whole view as someone who is ill prepared when it comes to in-class essays, not someone who is truly against the time allocation.

PS. Although you did use correct spelling/punctuation, PLEASE use paragraphs, it was a wall of text to read.

yeah it is true im with you becouse when i did my english exam i had lots of time to write essays and i only wrote 7 pages my other wrote about 12 pages
so they do give you lots of time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)