am i capable of doing 4u maths? (1 Viewer)

123ash

HSC
hi everyone,
i need help to choose my maths course.
what is the average mark you need in 3U to do well in 4U.
i am getting decent marks in 3U this year but they are not very good.
task 1 47%
task 2 62%
ty

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I'd be thinking you need to get 80% and above in all 3U assessment tasks. But that really depends on the level of the exam and what you get in comparison to the rest of your class. If you're say, coming Top 3 in a ranked 400-500 school, I'd suggest doing it. But if you're ranked in Top 20 for a 10th ranking school, then I'd suggest doing it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
123ash said:
hi everyone,
i need help to choose my maths course.
what is the average mark you need in 3U to do well in 4U.
i am getting decent marks in 3U this year but they are not very good.
task 1 47%
task 2 62%
ty
Um...I am not entirely sure. 47% and 62% are quite poor.

HOWEVER, give it a try. Your marks remind me of my last year's Preliminary result. Now, my average exam result is 93%. So, we never know.

undalay

HSC
Have u identified why you're performing poorly in 3u?

I would say a score of 70%+ would be a minimum for doing 4u.

123ash

HSC
my rank is preety alrite in my school.
8/53

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Ask your current Maths teacher, they know your ability better than anyone here. They can tell you the answer you seek.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
By looking at your marks you must realise that Extension 2 Mathematics is going to be way beyond your capabilities. Not to be insulting, but come on, look at your marks. 47% and 62%? If you're looking at doing Extension 2 you should be consistently getting in the 90's (80's at least).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: am i capable of doing 4u maths?

undalay said:
Have u identified why you're performing poorly in 3u?

I would say a score of 70%+ would be a minimum for doing 4u.
Haha, i averaged 65% last year, coming 6th/35 in 4unit atm. I chose extension 2 caues I liked math, hence I knew my love for it would help me through.

but as said before, unless you have a love for math and KNOW you will dedicate yourself to this course, ask your teacher.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: am i capable of doing 4u maths?

tommykins said:
Haha, i averaged 65% last year, coming 6th/35 in 4unit atm. I chose extension 2 caues I liked math, hence I knew my love for it would help me through.

but as said before, unless you have a love for math and KNOW you will dedicate yourself to this course, ask your teacher.
Yeah, that's a biggie when it comes to Extension Courses. You should really only do it if you have a love for it and not for the scaling. Otherwise, you're going to find yourself in a tight corner for the next year.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
By looking at your marks you must realise that Extension 2 Mathematics is going to be way beyond your capabilities. Not to be insulting, but come on, look at your marks. 47% and 62%? If you're looking at doing Extension 2 you should be consistently getting in the 90's (80's at least).
I disagree. It really depends on individuals, you know. There are people who performed relatively poor in the first few assessments because they are in the transition phase when they adapt to the Preliminary year. I am not entirely sure whether he experienced that dillema or not.

Looking at his mark, he significantly improved from the first assessment task (47% to 62% is pretty dame awesome improvement, I reckon).

If I recall correctly, my results are like the followings last year:
36%, 63% and 71%. This year, I am getting 97%, 82% and 100%. Credit must go towards my non-stop maths studying during Christmas Holidays but in general, that really shows something. I would not even have imagined doing MX2 last year, let alone MX1.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
I disagree. It really depends on individuals, you know. There are people who performed relatively poor in the first few assessments because they are in the transition phase when they adapt to the Preliminary year. I am not entirely sure whether he experienced that dillema or not.

Looking at his mark, he significantly improved from the first assessment task (47% to 62% is pretty dame awesome improvement, I reckon).

36%, 63% and 71%. This year, I am getting 97%, 82% and 100%. Credit must go towards my non-stop maths studying during Christmas Holidays but in general, that really shows something. I would not even have imagined doing MX2 last year, let alone MX1.
Damn that's good. Is that for 3U or 2U?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:

I'm aware of improvement. I myself improved from like 35% to 84%. However I actually do not really believe in improvement. At the moment, after two assessments my average is 59.5%. Even though I may have improved, look at my average... It shows the inconsistency.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Damn that's good. Is that for 3U or 2U?
3 Unit.

To Aplus: Well, yes. But you only did 2 assessments. Who knows? You might improve more.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
3 Unit.

To Aplus: Well, yes. But you only did 2 assessments. Who knows? You might improve more.
Damn.. that's really good! I've only had one exam for 3U so far and I got 90% on that. Another one coming up on Wednesday.

And Aplus, look at the school you go to. On generalisation, I think the exams would be harder and the competition would be fiercer, in comparison to a school like mine. I know someone who goes to your school and is in your grade and he said that he wasn't doing to well in 3U either.

renny 123

HSC
Im in the same situation. .
not sure about 4U for next year?
So far my two assessment marks have been 76% (2nd) and 81% (1st)
i am aware that my positioning is good but not sure if i could handle it because i am finding 3U very difficult.
From experience how much do you study for 4U weeky?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
renny 123 said:
Im in the same situation. .
not sure about 4U for next year?
So far my two assessment marks have been 76% (2nd) and 81% (1st)
i am aware that my positioning is good but not sure if i could handle it because i am finding 3U very difficult.
From experience how much do you study for 4U weeky?
4 Unit = 1.5 times 3 Unit

I do about 14 hours for MX1 so it should be about 20 hours then.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
4 Unit = 1.5 times 3 Unit

I do about 14 hours for MX1 so it should be about 20 hours then.
Wow, I can't even fit in 2 hours of study daily for MX1, besides homework. I have to work much faster with my other subjects, as I'm getting too much homework for two main culprits besides Math: Chemistry and Biology :angry:. We rarely write notes in class and the teacher feeds us with handouts.

To the OP, I'm in the same situation as well. I know that I have to improve myself dramatically (2U - 90%+, 3U - at least 80%, at most 100% :p) in order to do 4U. But right now, like Tommykins and Namu, I neither love or have a passion for Mathematics. So I'm not sure to either pick it up, or concentrate more on my other well scaled subjects.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
To the OP, I think that you're going to really struggle with MX2 - really struggle. But then again, that's just my opinion, seeing your teacher is probably the best thing to do. I mean, MX2 takes a shitload of time (seriously... the guys at my school usually spend atleast 1.5 hours on the subject everyday). I'm averaging about 95% and even I'm having doubts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)