Am I Doomed To Receive A Bad UAI? (1 Viewer)

ToKooL4SkooL

HSC
I am doing Standard English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Modern History and Ancient History.

I am in the top 5 of all of my classes.

Can somebody explain 'scaling' and whether or not I am doomed at receiving a bad UAI due to my subject selections?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Any subject selection you can attain a 100 UAI.

You are not -doomed- by picking poor scaling subjects.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Just get a high mark in all.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Any subject selection you can attain a 100 UAI.
In theory, not in practice :D

I agree it is still more than possible to attain a good UAI with those subjects, regardless of scaling.

mack

Banned
HSC
you are certainly not doomed. Its possible to get a uai of 99.95 with those, albeit very unlikely since it requires 99 in each subject. But still, 90+ is easily achievable if you hold onto those top 5 or better ranks..especially if its a selective school.

suz

HSC
don't woory too much bout scaling
ur ranks are very good, so obviously u should perform very well either way

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ToKooL4SkooL
I am doing Standard English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Modern History and Ancient History.

I am in the top 5 of all of my classes.

Can somebody explain 'scaling' and whether or not I am doomed at receiving a bad UAI due to my subject selections?
although ur maths and english are considered "bad" modern scales quite well, and legal and ancient are fair average
"

rubylotus11

Well I did my HSC last year and did Standard English> 83, Ancient History>84, Modern History>83, Geography>84 and Visual Arts>84, so for three out of five subjects we're in the same boat.
I got a UAI of 83.65 and got an average HSC mark of 83.6
I didn't really study until the day before each exam and I didn't try that hard for good rankings. But if you were to study heaps and try and get a good ranking in each of your subjects I am sure you could pull off a reasonable UAI.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
No, one of my friends do subjects that are considered 'Low scaling' eg Family and Community Studies, general maths etc... but she got into Band 6 for all of them and got a really good UAI

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by rubylotus11
Well I did my HSC last year and did Standard English> 83, Ancient History>84, Modern History>83, Geography>84 and Visual Arts>84, so for three out of five subjects we're in the same boat.
I got a UAI of 83.65 and got an average HSC mark of 83.6
I didn't really study until the day before each exam and I didn't try that hard for good rankings. But if you were to study heaps and try and get a good ranking in each of your subjects I am sure you could pull off a reasonable UAI.

woh.. that's strange you got a waayyyy higher english mark than i did.... and more band 5's and i got slightly higher than you in terms of UAI... hmm weird =\

rubylotus11

What subjects did you do Winston? Some people estimated that my UAI could have been between 85-87, so I was a little disappointed with my 83.65, but I assumed it was due to my subject choices.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by rubylotus11
What subjects did you do Winston? Some people estimated that my UAI could have been between 85-87, so I was a little disappointed with my 83.65, but I assumed it was due to my subject choices.

well it wasnt anything spectacular my subjects

Eng Standard, Mathematics, Software Design, Information Technlogy (Category B subject, doesn't scale well), and Food technlogy

i got 76 for eng, 84 for maths, 87 for software, 85 for IT and 79 for food tech so i duno :S... and i got 84.45 for my UAI

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by speersy
What do we classify as a bad UAI?
Depends. If you're dumb, and you know you're dumb, then any UAI is a good one, as you already know you're not going to kill the HSC.

If you're dumb, and you 'know' you're smart, you can't get a good UAI.

If you're smart, you can screw up/do no work, and it will probably be bad.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
You're ever the eternal optomist.
If you reach your target, it's a good uai. :D

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Depends. If you're dumb, and you know you're dumb, then any UAI is a good one, as you already know you're not going to kill the HSC.

If you're dumb, and you 'know' you're smart, you can't get a good UAI.

If you're smart, you can screw up/do no work, and it will probably be bad.
There are some people that know they're dumb. Then there are those that don't know they're dumb. Therefore there are the known dumb and unknown dumb - for the known dumb any UAI will be considered good for the unknown dumb any UAI will be bad - they're so dumb that they don't know they're dumb:p

ala Donald Rumsfeld

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)