Am I pushing it? (1 Viewer)

thumper123

HSC
Hi guys,
(I'm doing my HSC years through correspondence.)
So I'm working 30 hours a week already, throughout my prelim year and managing marks between 80-98% on assignments ect.
This year I'm increasing my working hours unto 40 hours a week whilst doing my HSC.

Does anybody else have experience with this workload plus study? People do it all the time and succeed but am worried I'll be risking my marks. Can I realistically keep these marks or does it not really matter how many hours I work as long as my study is sufficient enough ?

Unfortunately the only choice I have would be to give up my hours and live on the street or give up my HSC and not get my dream job.
At the end of the day I'll need to work these hours in university anyway so surely it's possible?

Any advice on how to cope would be great! Thanks!

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Hi there,

To me it seems that you are the breadwinner for yourself and you have extenuating circumstances affecting your personal life. With your current circumstance I would definitely advise you to apply to some form of welfare payment scheme through Centrelink to reduce the financial burden that you have-to support yourself, if you have not yet done so.

This will then allow you to invest valuable time into your studies and make the most out of your HSC year so you can get the marks you are after and hopefully apply for your desired course.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
No one can really answer this tbh, everyone responds differently to a certain amount of study.

I don't have experience doing the HSC with full time work, but I have been doing 3 subjects at uni (4 is standard, but 3 counts as full time study) alongside full time work and I find it manageable. There are times where it gets really busy and stressful, but that's usually for a week or two around when assessments are concentrated. It's probably similar with school.

Marks dont mean much by the way, it's all about ranks and external performance with the HSC. That's an important distinction as some teachers can mark considerably different/set easy exams compared to the HSC. For correspondence students im not sure how ranks work, I think it depends how you are doing it - sometimes it works no differently to school and sometimes it's just external performance. But i'm sure you know that already and how your program works.

I'd say give it a go. Every year a lot of HSC students get decent marks with little effort during school hours/the term and cramming around assessments, you're likely better off than them as you're probably forced to actually self study content throughout the semester rather than bludging through lessons in school.

If you are really trying to maximise your marks and are worried about it all, have you looked into spreading your HSC over two years? I don't know the specifics, but it can be done.

thumper123

HSC
Hi guys,

Thanks for your input, it is really reassuring that there are avenues that I will defiantly look into.
I just have family saying "it can't be done" ect so thats why I though I'd post here hoping for some input.

I understand that everyone is different and so are their circumstances so is a difficult question but hoping there are more people out there working part-time or full time or even casual that may have some tips.

Thanks again

Simorgh

HSC
Hi guys,

Thanks for your input, it is really reassuring that there are avenues that I will defiantly look into.
I just have family saying "it can't be done" ect so thats why I though I'd post here hoping for some input.

I understand that everyone is different and so are their circumstances so is a difficult question but hoping there are more people out there working part-time or full time or even casual that may have some tips.

Thanks again
Man I feel so bad about the circumstances you are in. Whenever you have any questions and concerns, your quite welcome to come back to this forum any time soon, as their are people here who can always give you could good advice and answers.

Hopefully you will for fill your dream of making into University, which is a big achievement in itself! The thing about you is that you care about your future and don't want to miss the opportunity of doing the HSC in your present circumstances, which many people instead take for granted!

bangali

HSC
You'll already know far more about this than me, so these 'tips' probably aren't helpful, but meh.

Is there any way you can save more money? Can you find a cheaper place to rent? Can you keep more careful track of your finances? Can you figure how to cut on money spent on food, clothes, etc? For instance, all the little things like not going out for coffees, always op-shopping for clothes and stuff. Intense thrift is worth it. Just try to cut a little more and a little more off your bills each week and you might find you don't need to spend quite so much time working. (if we didn't do that we'd be out on the street too)

Defs, if not on Centrelink get on it today...

I guess you already are used to this, but the biggest thing with time I suppose is figuring out the really important things to study. You simply won't have time to aim for really high marks and knowledge of the entire course - so you'll have to think deeply about prioritising which pieces of information/formulas/types of questions are the most important to learn. That means you'll have to actively skip the less important stuff.

Also avoid 'passive' study strategies, like just reading a textbook, and keep focusing on testing yourself and active recall (helps you learn faster). If you're trying to learn facts, the spaced repetition flashcards app Anki is the best method I know (it aims to test you just before you forget).

Still, I'm sorry to hear that it's so hard for you, but kudos to you for still sticking to your guns in the face of a challenge most of us wouldn't even look at.

thumper123

HSC
wow, didn't expect so much support.....really appreciate it thank you.

Cost cutting- absolutely, I'm always finding ways to spend less but it's always effective to revisit my expenses again!
Taking it over 2 years- I was unaware of this, Will check in with my teachers tomorrow about this...anyone have experience?
Anki app- Just downloaded it, thanks so much what a great idea!
Centrelink- That's a fight for another day, I have tried before but apparently I'm still dependent on my parents until I'm 24? some sort of new law?Even though I live out of home and earn enough to survive ect? I'm always happy to ask them again though :devil:

Thanks for the advice, its really helpful, sometimes you need someone to help think outside the box...and I'm always open for new ideas !

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
wow, didn't expect so much support.....really appreciate it thank you.

Cost cutting- absolutely, I'm always finding ways to spend less but it's always effective to revisit my expenses again!
Taking it over 2 years- I was unaware of this, Will check in with my teachers tomorrow about this...anyone have experience?
Anki app- Just downloaded it, thanks so much what a great idea!
Centrelink- That's a fight for another day, I have tried before but apparently I'm still dependent on my parents until I'm 24? some sort of new law?Even though I live out of home and earn enough to survive ect? I'm always happy to ask them again though :devil:

Thanks for the advice, its really helpful, sometimes you need someone to help think outside the box...and I'm always open for new ideas !
"The Pathways Alternative

The HSC can be accumulated over a period of five years from the completion of the first HSC course. This allows for flexible study arrangements and is often referred to by the term "Pathways". Pathways provisions also include being able to repeat one or more HSC courses or acceleration, which allows more able students to progress through their study requirements at a faster rate."
Pasted directly from http://www.sydneyh-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=106

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Centerlink
If you are under 22 years, you may be considered independent if you:

can show you have supported yourself through employment
are or have been legally married or in a registered relationship
are living in a de facto relationship with another person as a member of a couple for at least 12 months
have, or have had, a dependent child
have a partial capacity to work as determined by a Job Capacity Assessment (job seekers only)
are unable to live at home
have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities
are a refugee without parents who are living in Australia
are an orphan and have not been legally adopted, or
are in state care, or only stopped being in state care because of your age

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/youth-allowance/independence-test

thumper123

HSC
Thanks for the resources guys! I've been mislead dramatically in my past.

But if anyone still has anymore tips I'm open to listening.
I'm feeling much less stressed about this year already :)

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Wow thats a very hard life and an inspirational one as well. Good luck with everything and always know that there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)