Am I spendin too much time on dot points? (1 Viewer)

Sofstar

HSC
lol. I take ages doing the dot points as well, but seems as though alot of people are too. But i'm not sure how much detail they want sometimes. And damn the distractions of this world!! e.g msn.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Sofstar said:
lol. I take ages doing the dot points as well, but seems as though alot of people are too. But i'm not sure how much detail they want sometimes. And damn the distractions of this world!! e.g msn.
haha yah see sof, that's why I stopped going on msn :D way too distracting.

vg_woz_here

HSC
trust me..its better to start ur dot points asap...and dont leave it til the trials..coz thats what i did..lmao...you start panicking and realising how much stuff you gotta summarise.

And if it looks as though u have a lot....when it gets closer to the trials you can reduce them or resummarise them.

:)

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
I'm the same as you: I take a few hours to do just one topic of the syllabus in dot points. However, I find I retain the content more easily and can recall the information later more effectively.
Like other people have said you should just do what works for you. :)

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
agree with basketcase =]
lols. oh and sofstar ? i'm cursing msn too ... aghh .. such a blasted distraction.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
I quit msn lol, I prefer slow emails now, must be getting old too soon.

I started blue print of life for bio today, and the second dot point on the first syllabus catergory took me aaages, I ended up copying word for word from the hsc online resource.

Chocolat

HSC
xclusv2bhung said:
agree with basketcase =]
lols. oh and sofstar ? i'm cursing msn too ... aghh .. such a blasted distraction.
I agree with the cursing of MSN thoroughly. Even when you try to give it up...you just can't!
Oh, and yeh I'm all for doing the syllabus dot points for each one of your topics. If you know them, well then you can ace any exam on the subject! :)

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
lolz dr baby beanie same here... which is y i have deleted MSn and even windows messenger (tear)

as 4 the dot point dilemma i reckon spending an hour for 3-4 dot points is normal. The best part is ur spending quality time researching and moulding the bio/chem/physics course in a way YOU understand. Sumtimes in a disaster cramming situation, where u don't even get to finish reading over u module notes,u still end up getting alrite marks because u UNDERSTAND the content <through ur hr long notetaking>... u havent just blindly memorised a text book.

As for the typing or writing notes debate.... i prefer typing becuz i can easily go back to my notes and make additions or deletions... its also much faster. Typing notes is really cool especially if ur a neat freak (shifty eyes)

Handwriting notes is also really good especially if u think u've got photographic memory. If u put all the effort in writing around 40 pages worth of notes for Maintaining a balance for example... u realli deserve to get the marks u desire.

hope that helps!:wave:

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
2opinion8d said:
lolz dr baby beanie same here... which is y i have deleted MSn and even windows messenger (tear)

as 4 the dot point dilemma i reckon spending an hour for 3-4 dot points is normal. The best part is ur spending quality time researching and moulding the bio/chem/physics course in a way YOU understand. Sumtimes in a disaster cramming situation, where u don't even get to finish reading over u module notes,u still end up getting alrite marks because u UNDERSTAND the content <through ur hr long notetaking>... u havent just blindly memorised a text book.

As for the typing or writing notes debate.... i prefer typing becuz i can easily go back to my notes and make additions or deletions... its also much faster. Typing notes is really cool especially if ur a neat freak (shifty eyes)

Handwriting notes is also really good especially if u think u've got photographic memory. If u put all the effort in writing around 40 pages worth of notes for Maintaining a balance for example... u realli deserve to get the marks u desire.

hope that helps!:wave:
Haha I have around 40 pages worth of notes for Maintaining a balance.
Usually each dot point takes me about either an hour or less. "Identify, outline, define" type ones take about 20-30 minutes. "Describe, explain" Takes about an hour or less, and "assess, discuss, account" ones take about 1 hour or bit more.

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
lolz 40 page Maintaining a Balance notes are universal... i swear!
good luck in Blueprint...do any holiday study for it yoakim? i recommend a read thru biology excel ...(i usually don't like excel but a friend gave me a photocopy)
it was actually pretty helpful.

HSC
I haven't read the thread, but I spent too much time on my dot point summaries for Physics and Chem. I assumed I learned it and that the knowledge would stick, and didnt feel the need to ever revise it. I used to get behind and end up having to cram to catch up and also taking a little bit in. I had a complete summary but not complete knowledge.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
2opinion8d said:
lolz 40 page Maintaining a Balance notes are universal... i swear!
good luck in Blueprint...do any holiday study for it yoakim? i recommend a read thru biology excel ...(i usually don't like excel but a friend gave me a photocopy)
it was actually pretty helpful.
Yeah started Blueprint, but mostly concentrating on numbers 4 and 5, because I have an upcoming assessment task on parts 1,2,3

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
yoakim said:
Yeah started Blueprint, but mostly concentrating on numbers 4 and 5, because I have an upcoming assessment task on parts 1,2,3
your preparedness is scaring me! (pretends to hit the books but comes bak to BOS 2 minutes later):)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
watatank said:
I haven't read the thread, but I spent too much time on my dot point summaries for Physics and Chem. I assumed I learned it and that the knowledge would stick, and didnt feel the need to ever revise it. I used to get behind and end up having to cram to catch up and also taking a little bit in. I had a complete summary but not complete knowledge.
yeah when yr 12 started i used to spend sooom uch time doing everything!!!
wasted heaps of time that way

now i'm a lot better. i realised we dont get any marks for making notes :p.

still takes me a long time, but not as bad as b4 :)

chenliru

[h<3rt_kdramas.]
HSC
LOL! i am doing almost the exact thing - well jus with chem. my chem notes are taking a while to be put together.. since im using info from various textbooks and stuff since my own notes are insufficient. i find it pretty useful, even thought its kinda time consuming, because its more organised and i can see what i need to know. the dots points are pretty much all that u need know. they cannot ask u anything that isnt mentioned in them rite?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)