• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

American Politics (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
If Obama had the gumption that Latham had he would have eased the squeeze long ago. The troops would have been home by Christmas and all around America kids would have been climbing the ladder of opportunity.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
can someone explain in lament terms, what is so bad about protectionism? why is it so bad for the US?

Lentern

HSC
can someone explain in lament terms, what is so bad about protectionism? why is it so bad for the US?
Because if the United States doesn't share it's wealth(such as it is) with the world, the world will be less inclined to share it with America. As a result alot less money gets spent and the multiplyer effect is greatly reduced.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
You end up paying more for shittier quality stuff in order to subsidise inefficient industries.

It's terrible.
ohk. what about with the obama stimulus? apparently you have to buy US metal and iron for infrastructure. isn't that a good thing? keeping jobs within the US? i only see Europe/Asia having a fit.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
Because if the United States doesn't share it's wealth(such as it is) with the world, the world will be less inclined to share it with America. As a result alot less money gets spent and the multiplyer effect is greatly reduced.
hmm, i get what you mean.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I liked David Brooks' take on the stimulus package:
I think it's a wasted opportunity. And I wish they had taken a bill and really done a sharp, short, shock, temporary, timely and targeted, as Larry Summers once said. And that would have been like a payroll tax going right to the lower middle class, giving them a lot of money right away.

But, instead, they married some stimulus with a bunch of long-term stuff which will spend out very slowly, very diluted across dozens or, really, hundreds of programs, and I think it will have a very limited effect.

And, you know, Christina Romer talked about the Rooseveltian moment. And that's the crucial variable here. What is public confidence? We spent $1.7 trillion last year, had no stimulative effect that I can tell because confidence is so low.

And that's the thing none of the economists can really calculate; it doesn't fit into their models. So when they're projecting job projections, that's all based on a guess of how people feel. But if people are still scared about the future, then they're not going to -- they're not going to invest. They're not going to risk. They're not going to spend.

And so I'm -- my regret is that they didn't really hit it hard, hit it temporary, and not shove in all these other programs.
Stimulus Battle, Obama Cabinet Top Week's News | Online NewsHour | February 13, 2009 | PBS

Boxes

Banned
HSC
ohk. what about with the obama stimulus? apparently you have to buy US metal and iron for infrastructure. isn't that a good thing? keeping jobs within the US? i only see Europe/Asia having a fit.
nah dawg. if we protect one industry, another industry will be disadvantaged.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Surely there are things besides armies and economies to stimulate?
flicks hair

HSC
Iron I am under the distinct impression that you are flirting with me.

please send a naked picture of yourself to me asap

Most homophobes are closet homosexuals I suppose.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Iron I am under the distinct impression that you are flirting with me.

please send a naked picture of yourself to me asap

Most homophobes are closet homosexuals I suppose.
"If you can't act gay, you are gay". Nuff said.

But yeah, Obama's fucked up the packge.
So apparently hope doesn't work as a tradeable commodity to be used as an alternative to the dollar. Apparently it's not even a valuable commodity and it can't lift America out if it's problems at all. Who would have guessed.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hater of hope detected. Commence changing

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
ARGGGHHHH! I'm melting! I'm meltiiiiiing!!!

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Sick of the hardened partisans in the Democratic Party. Wish Obama would just re-register as an independent, ostracize Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi, kick out Clinton + Biden. IT would be the greatest Presidency of all.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Obama's turn to populism is fucking irritating, considering he is the very model of being exceptional.

HSC
N/A
Obama to me seems more like a leader of some historic revolution rather than someone who could get down to the nitty gritty of policy and administrative work involved with being the president. He inspires with his prose and poetry, he gives a goody goody feeling to people by saying things which from a philosophical point of view sounds great but from a practical point of view, don't make a whole lot of sense. His speeches are full of generalized messianic claims of how the world will become greener and sky will become bluer and sun will come out etc. etc.

by the end of the first term we will get a pretty good idea how or if he even makes in impact on the American economic catastrophe. Hopefully he does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)