• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ancient History - Sparta (1 Viewer)

Soccer Kid

HSC
Hey :wave: I was wondering if you could help me with something I need some quotes from Herodotus and Pausanius on Spartan religion and festivals, the Karneia, gymnopaidai and Hyakinthia festivals.

Thanx, ttyl :wave:

HSC
i have one from Pausanias on the Gymnopaediae:

“On their market-place the Spartans have images of Apollo Pythaeus, of Artemis and of Leto. The whole of this region is called Choros, because at the Gymnopaediae, a festival which the Lacedaemonians take more seriously than any other, the lads perform dances in honour of Apollo.”

i don't know how good that one is, but it does show how important it was, some of the practices observed (eg dancing)... i could have sworn i had another, but apparently i dreamed it up... if i find it i'll post it for you.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
I think you can look at more than just herodotus and pausanius for spartan religion and festivals. These are some that I can recall offhand:

Hyakinthia - Athenaeus (Ancient) says it is both a mourning for Hyakinthos and praise to Apollo - Hooker (Modern) says something similar, although I can't remember it

Gymnopaedia - Plato (Ancient) praises it, "by dancing strenously in the summer heat, Spartan warrior trained in both musical grace and warrior grit" (I think that's it word for word actually!)

Apollo Karneia - keywords is the main deal - straphylodromoi, agetes, heracles, agoge division, divination - if you've studied up, you'll know what they mean.

THere's alot more, but that's somewhere with my notes - I'd probably have to dig it up for you! Anywhos, this website has a fair bit of information on Sparta, seeing as its so popular - so check the notes online as well!

Hope that helped?

Good luck 08'ers! =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)