Ancient History Vs Modern History (1 Viewer)

Maraos

HSC
Ancient Vs Modern....... Need opinions (I'm in year 11)
- difficulty?
- Content

Content At my school:
Ancient (Year 11):
- Troy and Schliemann, Caesarea, Acts of the Apostles
- Cicero, Pliny the Younger
- Ancient Alexandria
Year (12)
- Pompeii Herculaneum (Core study)
- Spartan Society to the Battle of Leuctra
- Tiberius Gracchus
- Revolution in Rome
Modern (Year 11)
- Russia and the Soviet Union (1917-1941), Decolonization of Indochina, Bismarck and the unification of the German states
- The world at the beginning of the 20th century
Year (12)
- World War 1 (core)
- Germany (1918-1939)
- Albert Speer
- Conflict in Europe

As you can probably tell both Ancient and Modern in year 11 (at my school) have relatively boring topics as opposed to their year 12 counterparts (which seem really interesting in both courses). Currently I'm doing Ancient and not particular enjoying it as much as I would like to.... Any ideas?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I did ancient/modern for a little bit to start yr11
I realised I hated ancient lol so I dropped it

Purely in terms of difficulty, I would say modern is probably harder. I found it way more interesting though - probably a lot more intellectually stimulating tbh

I didn't do the same prelim topics, but I would imagine Bismarck and Soviet Russia would be good topics
Y12 is fun as well

Honestly just looking at the HSC Exams for each subject, I reckon you could pretty much decide whether you want to do it or not

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/2015/exams/2015-hsc-ancient-history.pdf

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/2015/exams/2015-hsc-modern-history.pdf

maysilees

HSC
i did exactly those hsc topics for ancient and lol not gnna lie the tiberius and pr are pretty difficult due to a lack of evidence.

but if ur super passionate and work hard you'll do well in ancient, i ended up with high 90s :)

Maraos

HSC
Modern seems more interesting but isn't it harder than Ancient or is this a misconception I have? I've heard that Modern requires more essay writing than Ancient (atleast in the final HSC exam).

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Modern seems more interesting but isn't it harder than Ancient or is this a misconception I have? I've heard that Modern requires more essay writing than Ancient (atleast in the final HSC exam).
It probably is harder, and definitely requires more essay writing.

I guess it depends on the person, but I would rather a difficult but interesting subject than an easy but painfully boring one.

(modern does scale better though, so kinda compensates for higher difficulty)

leehuan

HSC
If modern really is harder, I find it funny how it scales better as well.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
If modern really is harder, I find it funny how it scales better as well.
Isn't that the whole point of scaling ahaha?
(Was that sarcasm that flew over my head?)

leehuan

HSC
Isn't that the whole point of scaling ahaha?
(Was that sarcasm that flew over my head?)
Hmm.

Whilst scaling was always there to compensate for the difficulty in subject, keep in mind that better scaled subjects have the better candidature (with English used as a basis).

Maraos

HSC
It probably is harder, and definitely requires more essay writing.

I guess it depends on the person, but I would rather a difficult but interesting subject than an easy but painfully boring one.

(modern does scale better though, so kinda compensates for higher difficulty)
That's exactly right... but I'm already doing hard subjects and this is more of a backup subject than anything since I'm doing 13 units...tbh ancient seems really interesting in year 12 but year 11 seems (and has been so far) quite boring.... Whereas Modern seems better throughout year 11 and year 12. I gotta make my mind up already 5 weeks in year 11... Do you think it's already too late?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
That's exactly right... but I'm already doing hard subjects and this is more of a backup subject than anything since I'm doing 13 units...tbh ancient seems really interesting in year 12 but year 11 seems (and has been so far) quite boring.... Whereas Modern seems better throughout year 11 and year 12. I gotta make my mind up already 5 weeks in year 11... Do you think it's already too late?
It's never too late in year 11 lmao

lizzobeth

HSC
I always said that I would prefer to learn about War (Modern) than study page after page about people running around in sand, believing in mumbo jumbo (Ancient) lol

AppleTea

HSC
I heard ancient is a bore (all my mates dropped it), i'm doing mod and its pretty interesting.

heil hitler

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
I really enjoyed ancient, the topics we did apart from the core was Sparta, Hatshepsut, and the Greco-Persian wars
It was really interesting although sometimes hard to follow due to names, historical debate was also a great major part of it.
So far I have only really done some of WW1 for modern but Imo ancient was better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leehuan

HSC
I really enjoyed ancient, the topics we did apart from the core was Sparta, Hatshepsut, and the Greco-Persian wars
It was really interesting although sometimes hard to follow due to names, historical debate was also a great major part of it.
So far I have only really done some of WW1 for modern but Imo ancient was better

Since when do you post outside confessions

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
Since when do you post outside confessions
Since this exact moment in time!
I'm just too lazy to venture around

Jakulore

HSC
I would say Ancient is better, it is easier to get higher marks in but it comes down to interest.

I do Ancient and we do Cities of Vesuvius (Core), Sparta up until the Battle of Leuctra, Fall of the Roman Republic & Julius Caesar as the personality. I find it pretty interesting but it comes down to personal taste.

Ancient is definitely much more interesting in Year 12 though.

christinebelista

HSC
I would say Ancient is better, it is easier to get higher marks in but it comes down to interest.

I do Ancient and we do Cities of Vesuvius (Core), Sparta up until the Battle of Leuctra, Fall of the Roman Republic & Julius Caesar as the personality. I find it pretty interesting but it comes down to personal taste.

Ancient is definitely much more interesting in Year 12 though.
100% agree , idk i guess i find it easier to remember certain facts and corresponding evidence with ancient history.
sparta's also freaking interesting, although the movies you might watch about it may be somewhat factually skewed. we watched this documentary the other day and i found for the first time ever that i wasn't struggling to stay awake.
frankly modern looks like a pain in the ass

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)