• Yes

Votes: 61 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 25 29.1%

• Total voters

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
he is a cheat, a drug cheat after all, the worst cheater in Australian sport history. His achievement wiull be tainted forever as "with the help of drugs use" and he deserve that.

123erykb

HSC
I think its disgusting what the media is doing to him. People e.g. Phil Gould, who judge someone for taking drugs when they have no experience themselves just annoy me. No one can understand what drugs do to them until they try them themselves. I think societies perception of drugs is extremely misguided and we need to learn to be more accepting of drugs as just another way of life, not as a synthetic material with "disastorous consequences" . Why cant we be more like the Netherlands, meh, thats my two cents,
Johns is still a god.

happii

HSC
i still think he should be, he is still is a fken good player. its not like he is the only person that does it/did it.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
The fact that 15 out of 43 people between I'm guessing the ages of 16 and 25 think one of, if not THE greatest player of all time, should no longer be considered an immortal because of some drug problems is seriously disturbing.

2 words for reference from another sport: Diego Maradona.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
TO be highly critical - NO

I think if everywhere player had a dose of POT before a match, they would be all considered IMMORTAL - do you see where I am getting here?

CLearly his drug use has had positive element in his footy and being an illegal substance - it gives him an unfair advantage over others who abide by the code and law.

SO unless every player in NRL - do take drugs and until they retire do not reveal so - then Johns is not an immortal.

But what the NRL had demonstrated through the clubs, their appointed staff and players - it is highly likely that a considerably amount of players do take illicit drugs. In this case there is no such advantage and hence Johns can be considered IMMORTAL during the POT-era.

***mike***

HSC
joey johns, in my opinion, is the greatest player of all time, so he was having a drug problem, SO WHAT! he was/is sufering from bipolar, the worst form of depression.

i think he showed great courage coming out and saying what he said, he coulda brushed it off as a mistake or not having done it before... but he didnt, that takes guts.

and after all, we are talking about wether he should be remembered as a RUGBY LEAGUE immortal, so he took drugs off the field, they wernt performance enhancing, and dispite what you might think ecstasy DOES NOT help you with performance.

JOEY JOHNS 4EVA!

HSC
***mike*** said:
i think he showed great courage coming out and saying what he said, he coulda brushed it off as a mistake or not having done it before... but he didnt, that takes guts.
he only came clean at that point in time because he had no choice though. in saying that i think it would have come out sooner or later anyway, most likely scenario would have been in a book release or something.

as someone said in either this thread or another thread, why shouldn't he be considered one of the greats? diego maradona is rated among the best soccer players of all time, and his problems with drugs are quite well known all around the world.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Great Courage coming out bwa ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was ARRESTED for fucksake! He did not comeout about his drugs use on his own he was exposed and forced to explain! He is a disgrace for Australia!

kokodamonkey

HSC
funny how if some random person is on drugs they are portrayed are some f'd up emo that steals money to fund their addiction, but when its a so called "sports star" we have to get out the sympathy music and say oh what a poor thing oh it cant be helped, its okay..

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
PrinceHarry said:
Great Courage coming out bwa ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was ARRESTED for fucksake! He did not comeout about his drugs use on his own he was exposed and forced to explain! He is a disgrace for Australia!
there is a word in english for people like you.... fuckwit.

if he's a disgrace, what does that make you? you'd be an insult to disgrace.

are you just jealous that he flogged your team whenever he played? or your team never got to sign him?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I have great admiration for both the Johns brothers following this. It would have been so easy for Andrew to hide behind the NRL, perhaps passing the buck onto the Knights or other league officals, maybe even deny an ongoing problem, stating it was a once off or that his mum had given it to him, disgused as a a cold and flu tablet. But he did not take the easy way out, there was no cop out for either Matty or Joey, both taking responsibility for their own actions, Joey for his drug and alcohol abuse, Matty for, in his words "being to gutless to help his brother when he needed it". I've always loved Matthew, and the way he has stuck by Andrew through this really speaks to his character, especially when admitting his own faults and failures in this affair, when it would have been easy to deny any knowledge of Joeys deeds, or at the very least, distance himself from the whole affair. But instead, he has rallied all his support for his brother.

When it comes to Joey, he is, in my eyes, still a legend. And when the time comes, he should be counted in the Immortals of league. This drug taking did not enhance his performance, rather it was used as a crutch for his own debilitating illness. I too have Bipolar disorder, and have turned to drugs and alcohol as a way of dealing with the overwhelming isolation it provokes, when you feel that sort of desolation and despair, you will do just about anything to feel something else. And when something as enticing as ecstacy comes along, with promises of not just allowing you a few hours reprive from abhoring yourself, bringing you out of that bottomless pit if only for a few hours - it makes you feel great about yourself, about life. It reminds you of the times when you felt great, powerful. As though you could take on any hurtle and beat it with ease. How could you say no? Then, when you reach manic stages, you feel invincible anyway. You can do whatever you want and get away with it. These manic episodes are not just a sense of an inflated ego. Itr's a delusion, in a very real sense, of graundure. You do not just feel important, you KNOW you are. This sense of superiority and grandure is as real to you as the sky and the sand. But it isn't all fun. The irriability, rages and anger that soon follow are hard to control and leave you feeling as empty and hollow as the depression does.

Joey not only forced the public to face the pain of not only Bipolar disorder and it's side effects, but all mental illnesses. He showed Australia it's not just the sterotypical homeless person talking to themselves on Eddy Ave that suffering these debilitating disorders, that if someone like Him can fall victim to mental illness, anyone can. That we need to stop placing all addicts and mental health patients in the "dont touch, can't help" pile and face the fact this is a very real problem that needs addressing. If Joey can fall to Bipolar, anyone can. It's no longer a disease we are far removed from. And I can only hope his addmission will force the general public to wake up and realise how much of a problem it is.

He fucked up. As did everyone who supported him. And you know what that makes him? An addict? A poor role model? an evil man who does not deserve respect? NO. This makes him and everyone involved nothing more than an ordinary human, capable of bad decsions and poorly thought through actions. It does not take him off his pedestool, where he rightly belongs for his amazing performance and talent as a footballer. It just makes him closer to us, in the sense that he too is cabable of mistakes. If anything, I have more respect, he was able to stand up, admitt the depths of his mistakes and take responsibility for them. How many other prominent figures in our community can say they would do they same?

***mike***

HSC
^^^agreed^^^

and very well put.

and for you who say that he wasnt brave coming out with his history of drug problems: you try it, you become the best rugby player ever and then after 10 years of greatness come out and say you had problems with drugs for your whole career.

he coulda made out that it was his first time and he was drunk or sumin, but no he had the guts to come out and say what he said.

should he be considered as a rugby immortal, HELL YES!

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
^^^ that's what i've been arguing since post 1.

i think that really puts him back to earth, make us realise he is human after all. no matter how good a player is, (or a celebrity is, in that matter) they are only as human as you and i. gifted yes, but flawed as well.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
The only reason he admitted he had problem with drugs was to earn PUBLIC SYMPATHY from idiots like you and to mitigate people's negative attitude towards his drugs abuse.

Simylarly, an Australian DJ Nicholas Bernard Taylor in Bali admitted he was cocaine addict after he was arrested for possession of Cocaine so as to avoid death penalty for drug trafficking. He use those bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc as an excuse to earn public sympathy as usual and he does not change for the slightest what people think of those disease. Next time , he'll claim he had ADHD, oppositional defiant disorder, autism, tourette syndrome you name it, to get sympathy as usual. What a disgrace for Rugby, NSW and Australia. Crucify him!

It all sound too familiar is nt it. He was a druggie after all and he deserve no sympathy, but despise and humiliation.

***mike***

HSC
:burn::burn::burn:

that is the stupidest thing i have heard in a long time. johns said he had bipolar to get sympathy? WTF a doctor came out and said he had bipolar you idiot! and does he deserve our sympathy? YES! you try being a NATIONAL ICON, the best rugby league player in australia, affected by the worst form of depression; bipolar AND raise a family ALL at the same time... lets see how long you last.

this man deserves to be remembered as a GREAT player, not as a drugo!

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Right yeah Paris Hilton have ADD and Claustrophobia! Therefore its not her fault that she drove her car without licence ha ha. Pathetic! Andrew Johns will be remembered as a drugie and I am adding that NOW at his wikipedia webpage :D

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
good on you moron, and while you are at it, put your name next to the edit page, so people will know who to thank for that brilliant observation.

did paris hilton come on live tv 12 hours after her arrest and admit she was wrong? how you came to compare hilton and johns is just ridiculous. one is born famous, the other worked his ass off to be famous. one chose to drive her car without licence, the other took drugs to ease his pain. show me the similarity, where?

you know what, i am glad the majority of people aren't as stupid as you, in fact, i'd be real worried if they are. by saying stuff like you do, you are proving nothing but yet again what a worthless piece of shit you are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)