Announcement (Re: Tutoring) (1 Viewer)

maniacguy

I think turtle might have an issue with that, Keypad.
But I'm going to agree anyway, if only because he's more than capable of defending himself...

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Apart from that, here is something else that you might like to consider:
Programs like:
Teamspeak
Roger Wilco

Teamspeak and Roger Wilco were built for Broadband communication while playing Computer games. The programs are free, the programs allow communication much better than normal phone, are much cheaper than a speakerphone (decent speakerphone costs 100ish dollars - these programs are free), and as they are designed to operate "behind the scenes", they hardly take up any memory bandwidth. All you need is a microphone.

Several advantages, many that potential students would be attracted to, as you can see.

One other advantage is this:
You have stipulated that you do not mind if a friend and your pupil halve the cost and share the time. Using a program like Roger Wilco, it would be possible for two friends to remain at their own homes, and still participate. Communication would be just as good with 3 people participating in a roger wilco session, than 2.

Consider: Roger Wilco/Teamspeak was designed to operate with 5+ people communicating at the same time, with instant communication required. Further consider: 5 people having a "mini-war" requires a LOT of instant, precise, clear communication. For a maths tuition lesson, Roger Wilco is, by far, better than a normal phone. It is more than sufficient for the task.

Last edited:

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
As if I would do anything else :p

Medicine is for wimps, Maths/Science is for the REAL men (and women).
It tends also to be for the poorer men/women

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
Originally posted by OLDMAN
Thought might be a good idea not to puff up too much considering there might be a few Ruse types lurking around, and .35 is mediocre!

btw well done, tell me you are not another medical maths wiz again?

oops, should have read your subscripts more- advanced maths, great!

hello, how much did yeh get for maths ext2?

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
Sorry hatty, its not free. But it nearly is. I charge $30 for a night session starting after 8:30 and I don't watch the clock. I had a session last night, started at 9:30, we knocked off at 11:30 -the student got tired!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by OLDMAN
Sorry hatty, its not free. But it nearly is. I charge $30 for a night session starting after 8:30 and I don't watch the clock. I had a session last night, started at 9:30, we knocked off at 11:30 -the student got tired!
yeah, those are very good prices...i was just wondering, is there anything that u can't do thru your "online" system oldman?

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, those are very good prices...i was just wondering, is there anything that u can't do thru your "online" system oldman?
Inasmuch as an ideal mathematical discussion would rely on visual representation and voice communication -senses of sight and sound, loosely defined as "high bandwidth"- nothing much can't be done via broadband, that can be done by face-to-face tutoring.
For example, "take home" homework could be pasted onto the whiteboard etc.

:) But yes, there are two things that I can't do online :

1) breath on you,
2) Chemistry (an online student asked whether I also do Chemistry)

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Did you give my suggestion of using a program like Roger Wilco instead of a speakerphone some thought? you might like to try it out, you have nothing to lose.

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
Grey Council : A speakerphone is not needed. We have voice communication through the broadband using a cheap microphone headset (around $15).

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hehe, thats better. I read somewhere (maybe your site) that a speakerphone WAS needed, and i was puzzled.

:)

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
Yes I did mention speakerphones in that site when I was concerned about the reliability of voice over the net. I got onto the microphone headset, quite by accident. Last year, a student misunderstood "speakerphone" and got the much cheaper computer headset instead, so we tried them and it works almost as well as a phoneline.

As long as the two parties are on broadband, the whiteboard and voice work beautifully. Be good to see other tutors try this approach, as it seems a perfectly natural application of what is being made technologically available. Just imagine, no more trips to Chatswood or Bondi. Too bad, Australia seems slow on the uptake of broadband. Considering that I am old, I'd expect the young ones to be more adventurous in lapping up new tech.:)

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
don't worry, nothing much has been flogged. You are right, the time has come for the mods to pull the plug off -really doesn't worry me.

Thanks, mods, for your patience.

:)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Surely it isn't appropriate for oldman to be flogging his coaching college thru this forum....what's going on? I'm appalled. Aren't the moderators meant to filter out this spam?
We originally had a small arrangement whereby OLDMAN would challenge students in this forum. :)
The advertisement was posted with permission.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, just keep posting up solutions OLDMAN, and we'll keep recommending you to anyone interested in maths tuition. ^_^ I might even try it sometime later. MIGHT. Although my current tutor is awesome. :D

I keep getting scared by the drawing tablet though. hrm

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I personally have no intention of moving this thread. OLDMAN gives up a lot of time to help students on this forum and he has every right to offer a one-on-one service ...

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
Thanks McLake. But I myself felt a bit uncomfortable in the top of the IMPORTANT section. I'll continue to help anyway.

Grey Council : Yes, I am sure you'll do well (not only in maths but in life as well)- what with a personality like yours!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
what the...

I dunno whether to take that as a compliment, or to wonder if its a spiteful comment. :confused:
whatever promptet you to say that?

And what type of a personality DO i have? lol, you have me totally confused.

But just in case you really meant that, thank you. Really appreciate it. ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)