Answering, 'To what extent...' essays (1 Viewer)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I really don't know what they mean when they ask, 'To what extent'. Can someone clear this up for me?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
you're demonstrating how much a statement is true, or accurate, and supporting it with textual references.

eg, if the question asked was, to what extent do the texts BNW and BR demonstrate dystopic futures? you would show in your answer the extent to which, the HOW, or "how much", that statement is accurate to the texts, whether wholly, partially, not at all, or yes but theyre different because of context, blah blah.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
In addition, it is safer to agree then to disagree.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Generally, yes, but if you have a strong line of argument supported with strong textual evidence, that is placed in well structured essay, theres no reason why you shouldnt get a good mark.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I had an essay on King Lear, and let's just say it was to do about his blindness or something (my real essay wasn't on this, just to clear things up!). So would I talk about how blind he was by saying stuff like he banished Kent 'cause he couldn't see and this led to his downfall etc? And support it more with textual evidence?

Would I use themes or images to support this idea more though?

seano77

Walk On
HSC
You don't have to completely agree/disagree either. Some points of your argument may back up the statement whilst others may not. Its how you present the argument more than whether you agree or not.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
seano77 said:
You don't have to completely agree/disagree either. Some points of your argument may back up the statement whilst others may not. Its how you present the argument more than whether you agree or not.
I tend to agree :D

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh, so you're allowed to swing both ways, so to speak?

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aerath said:
Oh, so you're allowed to swing both ways, so to speak?
yup you sure are. But I always make sure I choose the way the teacher would want.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
yup you sure are. But I always make sure I choose the way the teacher would want.
I think its more important about how you present the argument- not whether you agree with the teacher or not. The majority of English teachers will be open to different arguments.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
seano77 said:
I think its more important about how you present the argument- not whether you agree with the teacher or not. The majority of English teachers will be open to different arguments.
Nah, with my teacher, you have to think what she thinks :lol:

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
"to what extent" means, to what degree does this text blah blah blah.

for example

"to what extent does Othello represent modern society?"

if you agree that Othello strongly represents modern society, you argue for this statement. if not, argue otherwise.

back up all your arguments with evidence. that is the only way you can't be proven "wrong" in English.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Nah, with my teacher, you have to think what she thinks :lol:
let's hope your teacher isn't marking the HSC this year then. what a narrow minded approach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)