Answers about Law (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
charlie_charlie said:
What do you mean changing? In what sense?
the two introductory subjects, 'legal process and history' and 'legal research' are getting slightly revised in their content and length.

hornetfig

HSC
well, to my knowledge, some subjects are moving to the currently fashionable method of tutorial teaching. But others will remain lecture and seminar structure.

Lainee

HSC
Suvat said:
"Laying down the law" is actually a set text for the usyd foundations course, but it is kinda useless, most of the work in foundations involves reading the thick 2 volume compulsory reading package assembled by the faculty
What's this package like? Is it something we'll have to buy from the faculty? Something you bring to class everyday?

1000words

HSC
Lainee said:
What's this package like? Is it something we'll have to buy from the faculty? Something you bring to class everyday?
Hi there Lainee,

I can't speak for Suvat and the system in USyd. However, the compulsory reading materials for me involved photocopies of case extracts and articles of 'door-stopper' length and all examinable :) In contrast, the content in 'Laying down the law' was not examinable.

I hope that helps. I wouldn't concern myself too much about changes in syllabus or the teaching style in the first few years, you'll be fine if you go with the flow. However, you may be interested if a course offers new practical components in each subject as you might find these exercises to be quite interesting!

Regards,
David

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Lainee said:
It's something u buy from the uni copy centre, comes in 2 volumes (cuz the faculty doesn't want to get sued cuz u injured ur back carrying too much law stuff around) and basically contains photocopies of lots of stuff from newspaper articles to journals to cases... You don't have to bring it to class but the vast majority of people do choose to, otherwise u might get a bit lost in class discussion. And yes, there is a class participation mark.

Lainee

HSC
Wow, sounds exciting! :p Meh.. I'm just so sick of holidays and library is closed til Wednesday so I can't pick up any of the aforementioned textbooks and my parents refuse to buy them until I make sure my lecturers specify what to buy. *sighs wistfully* Ever since I knew I wanted to do law (which was like forever really) I wanted one of those cool personal libraries (re: The Firm) with law journals from wall to wall. Law books are awfully sexy though.

Anyway, thinking maybe I should ask a question. Erm... Suvat, which teachers are cool and which should I avoid getting at all costs? :)

And are law couples /really/ that rare? :p

1000words

HSC
Lainee said:
Wow, sounds exciting! :p Meh.. I'm just so sick of holidays and library is closed til Wednesday so I can't pick up any of the aforementioned textbooks and my parents refuse to buy them until I make sure my lecturers specify what to buy. *sighs wistfully* Ever since I knew I wanted to do law (which was like forever really) I wanted one of those cool personal libraries (re: The Firm) with law journals from wall to wall. Law books are awfully sexy though.
You are a sick puppy :) You may want to grab an old copy from friends you may know who have already done first year. The material is unlikely to change all that much.

Lainee said:
And are law couples /really/ that rare? :p
Not at all! I was aware of many couples who both studied law. I thought this was only natural seeing as the law school is very large and there are a lot of social activities :)

I hope that encourages you :)

Lainee

HSC
Unfortunately I don't have many (dare I say any) friends who have done 1st year law. :) Otherwised I would've bugged them about everything I'm bugging you guys about.

Guy reading law books... Mmmmm. :p

1000words

HSC
Lainee said:
Unfortunately I don't have many (dare I say any) friends who have done 1st year law. :) Otherwised I would've bugged them about everything I'm bugging you guys about.

Guy reading law books... Mmmmm. :p
Fortunately, the law schools enforce a (minimum) dress code. However Lainee, I believe the winchesters in the libraries are waterproof so you can continue to drool regardless :)

Lainee

HSC
1000words said:
Fortunately, the law schools enforce a (minimum) dress code. However Lainee, I believe the winchesters in the libraries are waterproof so you can continue to drool regardless :)
Winchesters, right. *takes notes* ;)

Any more insider tips? :p

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Lainee said:
Anyway, thinking maybe I should ask a question. Erm... Suvat, which teachers are cool and which should I avoid getting at all costs? :)
Most of the foundations team is pretty cool. I heard bad rumours about one of them while another taught me for one lesson and I thought he/she (not gonna identify) was (relatively) boring. I refuse to spread any negative rumours about specific law instructors (after all, my torts instructor said that defamation was "the lottery of law").

If you dislike the instructor you get, you can easily change within the first 2 weeks, and if u bump into your old instructor (EXTREMELY unlikely) you could just say something like... "Um.. the timetable I originally had did not suit me and there was no way I could have the times I wanted whilst preserving the captivating experience of your biweekly foundations of law classes..."

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
David,

Did you do a double degree? and if not, whats your opinion on them? I am going to do one (Science/Law) but do you think the workload in law can make it difficult to do well in the other degree. Do you think mixing your areas could confuse you/make it more difficult to study.

I guess in brief: how much flexibility does the workload for law give you?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Another Question. Having a degree doesnt allow you to practice, so i was wondering, wat exactly is involved in becomming a practising barrister/solicitor. is it a difficult process?

1000words

HSC
townie said:
David,

Did you do a double degree? and if not, whats your opinion on them? I am going to do one (Science/Law) but do you think the workload in law can make it difficult to do well in the other degree. Do you think mixing your areas could confuse you/make it more difficult to study.

I guess in brief: how much flexibility does the workload for law give you?
Hi there Townie,

Yes, I have completed a double degree. Now, does that prevent me from answering your second question? :) I'll risk it by saying that I thoroughly recommend combined law degrees particularly as I am not aware of anybody in law firms (or students!) that only possess the one law degree. At the very least, a combined degree leaves open many employment opportunities with your non-law degree. This alone is an influential factor in pursuing a combined degree (even if you're set on becoming a lawyer) because straight law is a four year degree (comprising of law subjects and lots of electives) whereas a combined law degree can make use of those allocated electives into a whole, separate degree (i.e. commerce subjects taken as elective subjects for law end up being a commerce degree).

In terms of course workload, I think it's very manageable. It's also important to keep in mind that you are studying subjects that *you* want to study, in contrast to high school when you have compulsory subjects that can be totally unrelated to your interests :) Hence, you will find it more motivating to study (at least in most cases!). Studying a combined law degree should not be a detriment to your non-law degree although it's always up to the individual.

Science/law specifically and from a personal point of view, the mixing of areas was fabulous!!! It was very interesting for me to go to an physiology lecture for an hour and then learn about contract law in the next hour. The science/law students I knew also felt the same. It might be intimidating in terms of exams (particularly when an anatomy exam followed a property law exam) but there are advantages in them being such different subjects (e.g. they do not blur together). However, I can understand if an individual finds this confusing. You should perhaps ask yourself how you found year 12 or year 10 when you studied english for one period, maths the next and physics after. If you enjoyed it like I had, you will love science/law.

townie said:
Another Question. Having a degree doesnt allow you to practice, so i was wondering, wat exactly is involved in becomming a practising barrister/solicitor. is it a difficult process?
The process of qualifying as a barrister/solicitor is not a terribly difficult process once you complete a law degree although the process at the moment varies between the states and territories. There are practical training courses (6 months-1 year) which extend on your law degree; and there are work experience/"apprenticeship"/graduate traineeship etc etc positions at law firms; both options allow you to become 'admitted' to qualify one as a barrister/solicitor.

"Becoming" a barrister/solicitor is a whole different matter since a graduate will learn the ropes of being in the industry despite having a nice qualification certificate on the wall :)

I hope that helps a little in regards to becoming a barrister/solicitor - the process can be a little daunting to learn at first but I would not concern myself with at your stage i.e. compare this to explaining HSC/VCE to a grade 6/7 student.

Best of luck! Let me know if I can help further.

Regards,
David

emi ye

Hi i just need some advice right now!

I really would like to do commerce law at usyd or unsw because their law faculty is really well reputed but my uai is 99.3 so i just miss out at unsw by 0.05! Would it be better to commerce at unsw and then transfer after one yr or go to another uni like uts or maq? I'm really interested in commerce and finance so i think i might go into that are as opposed to becoming a barrister. What would i be better off doing in my position?

If i do go to maq or uts, which uni is better for law?

1000words

HSC
green_tealeaves said:
Hi i just need some advice right now!

I really would like to do commerce law at usyd or unsw because their law faculty is really well reputed but my uai is 99.3 so i just miss out at unsw by 0.05! Would it be better to commerce at unsw and then transfer after one yr or go to another uni like uts or maq? I'm really interested in commerce and finance so i think i might go into that are as opposed to becoming a barrister. What would i be better off doing in my position?

If i do go to maq or uts, which uni is better for law?
Hi there Green_tealeaves,

There are varied opinions here on the board but I recommend that your desired university is higher on the 'to-do' list than the desired course at a different less reputable university. This relates more on the university experience since a year is a long time - you will meet many friends and get comfortable with your surroundings. If you were capable of getting a high score at year 12, you should be quite able to transfer into law in second year - plus the fact that you're 'in the system'.

There are quite a lot of law students/graduates interested in commerce; so rest assured that not everybody wants to become a solicitor or barrister with a law degree.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
David

Lainee

HSC
1000words said:
There are quite a lot of law students/graduates interested in commerce; so rest assured that not everybody wants to become a solicitor or barrister with a law degree.
The idea that Commerce/Law is so immensely popular has really turned me off the combination. My past experiences, interests and skills would probably put me in good stead for this combination but the stigma attached to it (especially with asian Commerce/Law students) has in fact made me dig deeper for other combinations that could possibly interest me. The number of Commerce/Law graduates flooding the job market would probably make it difficult for me to distinguish myself as well. Is this be a valid concern?

I know that there is no such thing as the 'most favourable' combination, but would choosing Commerce/Law actually work against me. Another combination that was I considering was Science (Psychology)/Law, which to me doesn't have the same stigma attached to it, and would probably appeal to employers more. It's just that my interests are so versatile that any advice which says 'choose based on where your interests lie' doesn't really help me. However, my main interest is law. Not the combined degree. I don't anticipate a career in business nor psychology, but I'm looking for a degree which presents me in the most positive light to potential employers.

David, do you think that your Science/Law combination allowed you to distinguish yourself more from the thousands of law graduates each year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)