Anti-Privatisation (1 Viewer)

marwanjamiel

HSC
I find the idea of both terribly barbaric. That those who can afford are entitled to better education or health services. I do think that's pretty fucked up.
Soviet Russia much?
For nearly every good / service, people who can afford better have a right to get better. Most of us only get the police for security, others get private security because they can afford it. Some of us buy a regular car, others have finer modes of transport because they can afford it. Some of us take public roads, some take private.

I do not see the need for a special case for education and health. It should be accessible to all, however those who can afford better should have a right to receive better.

Lex152

HSC
I find the idea of both terribly barbaric. That those who can afford are entitled to better education or health services. I do think that's pretty fucked up.

Unfortunately, though, like all things privatised, it is far more difficult to nationalise them once again. One day, hopefully, but it'll take a leader with a shitload of balls (and somehow we need to hope that the next leader to come along just doesn't go off and allow for private schools/hospitals again).
Equal opportunity!

Besides 'mixing' with other socio-economic groups is healthy and broadens one's views.

My view, private schooling is fundamentally wrong, and helps segregate populations, and in it's worst case creates classes.

Private health should receive 0 public funding but should be allowed to operate.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
Private Schooling is great. Public Schooling allows the chaff to be tossed away and the cream to rise to the top.

Private schooling is a shortcut for all that. Lol Class warfare.
this.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Equal opportunity!

Besides 'mixing' with other socio-economic groups is healthy and broadens one's views.

My view, private schooling is fundamentally wrong, and helps segregate populations, and in it's worst case creates classes.

Private health should receive 0 public funding but should be allowed to operate.
Denying access to voucher based schemes for services with a public/private mix is most inequitable of all. There are many in the lower socioeconomic groups who opt to go for the cheaper independent schools because they want a better future for their children, or for minimal private health cover, and they can only afford to do so because there is Commonwealth funding to private institutions at approximately the same level as public ones.

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
funding for private schools doesnt make sense. they pay fee's then get more per student in funding then public schools. SCHOOL FUNDING SHOULD BE BANNED.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
funding for private schools doesnt make sense. they pay fee's then get more per student in funding then public schools. SCHOOL FUNDING SHOULD BE BANNED.
Thanks for the factoid, but you're wrong. Teachers union ads which claim this don't take into account teachers wages when quoting the public figures, and do when quoting the private figures.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
private health cover is a scam if you ask me, our family has had it since that political scare that Howard talked of way back in the early 2000's. we never made a single claim until last year when i got my teeth checked and cleaned...still had to pay $70. how stupid. all those $1000's wasted.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
This one time on ACA they had a story about how health insurance companies take more in premiums than they give out in healthcare.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
well how many claims do you think the average bloke makes a year? certainly not in the $1000 + that private health insurances charge annually.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
well how many claims do you think the average bloke makes a year? certainly not in the $1000 + that private health insurances charge annually.
The average person does not claim back as much as they pay in premiums. This same person also pays back more on their home loan than they borrowed in the first place. Surprisingly enough they also get less public healthcare than they pay in taxes towards same.

The consequences of paying a small amount each year and not getting anything out of it are miniscule compared to those of needing a major operation and not having enough money to pay for it.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Is anyone for getting rid of all private education and hospitals?
Who will pay for these things?

private health cover is a scam if you ask me, our family has had it since that political scare that Howard talked of way back in the early 2000's. we never made a single claim until last year when i got my teeth checked and cleaned...still had to pay $70. how stupid. all those $1000's wasted.
How is it a scam?

If you don't need it, just don't pay it? No one's forcing you at gunpoint.

Put $50 in a jar each week and hope your savings are enough if any unexpected health bills come up.

tbh, when I drop out of my parents private insurance cover this year, I probably won't take on insurance, because the chance of me needing to use it is so low, and I save money relentlessly. The welfare state is my insurance plan :eek:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
a lot of the "poor" could afford either private health or education if they stopped buying TVs and consoles tbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)