Anti-Religion rally (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
littlewing69 said:
The Bible certainly isn't all there is to religion. Try the Tao Te Ching or any of the Buddhist texts for an entirely different take on the Universe. And if you're not religious, deal with it. There's nothing bad about atheism--it can be a wonderful worldview.
Some people need structure and discipline, they need rules to help guide them through life. I'd suggest Zoroastrianism but there is only one branch I know of in Sydney, and the number of members are small and not very diverse.

auzziesoceroo

HSC
transcendent said:
they are in just about all aspects better people then me. it's not the bible that deters me the most from religion, it's the fact they i can never be as into religion as they can and the fact that i believe that i can never be a good religious role model. so instead of tarnishing the name of a religious order by representing them, i abandoned religion.
this is for the person who did not want to blacken religions name by identifying with it. Take it from a habitual struggler to be not only a good person but above and beyond that. Very often you will feel hopeless and think that you are only going in circles only to find out that you have made more progress than people would care to mention ( this is often the case, should you take the time to do something radical such as ask someone for help or pray about it *gasp*). i would also add that i respect you for your decision

as for the anti religion rally - name me the evils that "religion" - not humans - has committed. I'm not saying that evils have not been committed in the name of religion, the spanish inquisition for example, however, no on is denying that what went on there is wrong

it is also worthwhile defining the term religious. do you mean Christianity, Islam, Hinduism or Buddihsm? (if that is the wrong spelling of Buddihsm then i apologise)

and if you are going take the moral high ground and point the finger at the so called 'evils' of religion, take the time to educate yourself a little and find out about the 'good' that religion has inspired, perhaps you may even like to doing something radical yourself and actually find out about those who you blatently and unsubstantiatedly accuse of undefined 'evil'

Justin

HSC
ihavenothing said:
Sounds like a good idea if 10,000 people or so showed up in the city to protest against the damage religion has done to the world and its people.
Do you think Atheism is any more peaceful? Look at communists. The problem does not like in Religion, but in HUMANS. Protest against humans, and you will have struck the appropriate target.

The Aviator

HSC
Maybe if you looked more closely into it Mr. Athiest, you would realise it is the individual extremists that make religions look bad. Even something so truthful can be made to look evil or bad just by a group of idiotic extremists.

So mate, why don't you spread some peace rather than make an evil rally that just spreads evil.

Peace

L

littlewing69

Damage Inc. said:
How the fuck did you link atheism with communism?
Communism has historically been linked with atheism. China, Revolutionary Spain etc etc.

Justin

HSC
Damage Inc. said:
How the fuck did you link atheism with communism?
Power structure.

Religion has been used to oppress the bourgeois to keep them in place which in turn prevents them from realising their potential. Traditionally religion has been controlled by the upper classes and the religious elite and has been used to propogate colonialism etc.

Communism hence denies any religion and is atheistic.

L

littlewing69

Justin said:
Power structure.

Religion has been used to oppress the bourgeois to keep them in place which in turn prevents them from realising their potential. Traditionally religion has been controlled by the upper classes and the religious elite and has been used to propogate colonialism etc.

Communism hence denies any religion and is atheistic.
Some communism....

There have been Christian communist/anarchist movements in the past, you know.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
littlewing69 said:
While you're marching through the city, be sure to notice the hospitals, schools, and beautiful religious buildings. And notice the Salvos collecting for charity, and the Vinnies, etc.
QUOTE]

yes. because HUMANs havent made those, and clearly no athiests are involved in these good deeds

L

littlewing69

Justin said:
Haha, who? Link? Wikipedia?
Can't you use google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_communism

yes. because HUMANs havent made those, and clearly no athiests are involved in these good deeds
Strawman. I never said atheists weren't good people. I just pointed out that religion has inspired good as well as bad. (and the things I mentioned are Christian charities)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Aviator

HSC
I think another thing that has effected the world is the hate and fear for Muslims. This has occurred as a result of groups of individuals who have been misguided by other corrupt Muslims. If you research properly, Islam does not at all support killing and suicide bombing etc. I can say this because I am a devote, peace-loving, peace-spreading Muslim. So I hope that people don't see us as the individual stereotypes on TV.

L

littlewing69

The Aviator said:
I think another thing that has effected the world is the hate and fear for Muslims. This has occurred as a result of groups of individuals who have been misguided by other corrupt Muslims. If you research properly, Islam does not at all support killing and suicide bombing etc. I can say this because I am a devote, peace-loving, peace-spreading Muslim. So I hope that people don't see us as the individual stereotypes on TV.

Edit: I don't want to start a Islam flamewar here. It'll suffice to say that Islam, properly followed, can be a very peaceful faith, but that it also has some dangerous potential for those who wish to take it too far.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Aviator

HSC
Of course. we aren't starting anything here. I don't see that we are.

But, there is no "too far'. Someone referred to as an extremist hasn't gone 'too far'. They've driven themselves out of actual Islam. Therefore they are no longer Muslims, but some new violent religion. That's our point.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
littlewing69 said:
Edit: I don't want to start a Islam flamewar here. It'll suffice to say that Islam, properly followed, can be a very peaceful faith, but that it also has some dangerous potential for those who wish to take it too far.
Suffice to say Islam bashing seems to be a favourite hobby among NCAPers. Imo Islam's influence on world affairs is kind of overrated by this forum.

L

littlewing69

The Aviator said:
Of course. we aren't starting anything here. I don't see that we are.
Yes, I was editing myself--not wanting to offend you. I had basically said that I had found some worrying things in the Koran, but I will reserve such statements until I have read the whole text. It's probably ill-advised to consider such verses in isolation, I suppose.

But, there is no "too far'. Someone referred to as an extremist hasn't gone 'too far'. They've driven themselves out of actual Islam. Therefore they are no longer Muslims, but some new violent religion. That's our point.
Yes. But there is a worrying tendency towards theocracy in Islam, don't you think? Christianity, for all its faults, doesn't (correctly) lend itself to government...

L

littlewing69

_dhj_ said:
Suffice to say Islam bashing seems to be a favourite hobby among NCAPers. Imo Islam's influence on world affairs is kind of overrated by this forum.
With 1-2 billion muslims in the world, I don't think it should be underestimated. Extreme Islamism is always overestimated of course, because having a dastardly bogey-man is profitable for both government and media.

As it is though, Islam is growing fast, and wields a lot of influence w/ oil supplies, obviously. It'll be interesting to see how things play out as oil becomes less important/viable, and the muslim population in the West continues to grow.

Generator

HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
I agree. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)