ANU Explore Arts Day (21st May) (1 Viewer)

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Originally posted by alphatango
You don't need a bike. It might make things easier, but you don't *need* a bike. *nods sagely as he looks back over his first semester at ANU* FYI, I live at Fenner, so I'm about 20 mins walk away from uni.

It might help more if you're chronically late though :p Oh, and public transport is nice...$1.10 will get you anywhere, hop on as many buses as you need within one hour.
Do you know that it now costs $4 return to the city during peak hour on CONCESSION!?

Ridiculous, I tell you.

Whats Fenner like? I only got to see one of the selfservice halls, I don't remember which. It'd be cool to get a students opinion.

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
Well, I like it here...ppl seem to be reasonably friendly. I guess the facilities and so on average out to be quite good; for example, the rooms aren't as big as they are in some of the other colleges, but are still a decent size (as long as you don't do stupid things like trying to fit a second bed in :p).

Self-catered gives a lot of flexibility (useful for me, since I have a few food allergies), and there's a small cafe-like place on the ground floor outside the kitchens which runs during the term for about four hours in the evening (1700-1900 or something, I think). Kitchens are quite good (shared, as are the fridge/freezers), and there's a smaller kitchenette on each floor with a microwave and a couple more communal fridges. I'd probably get a fridge for your room too; it makes things a lot easier, although (like a bike) it isn't necessary.

I could probably talk about a lot of the other aspects of Fenner, but my overall impression is a good one. In other words, I can see myself living here for four years if I don't decide that somewhere else is much, much better. Let me know if you want more info. :)

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Hehehehe, fridge!
Ok, sorry.
My first (and second) impressions of Fenner were pretty good. Better than some of the on-campus places anyway.

Callistogenic

HSC
Who's going this year? This year it's on the Friday 20th May.

Ex-students who aren't studying for the HSC this year and/or missed out last year and just want to go down to Canberra for the sakes of it (don't know why you would, but anyway) can go. No invite required. (Or at least that was the general impression.) But if you want to be sure, contact Caroline Bradshaw, the Faculty Liaison Officer on (02) 6125 4813 or email her at caroline.bradshaw@anu.edu.au.

I know I lose all the protection of being in a large school-based group, but it's not as if that really matters - you have no friends to look after.

Hell, I might even be able to meet up with memorable characters such as 'blah says she'... CAFE CRAWL!! :p

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Wait. Voluntarily go to the open day?

*scurries back to her unsw forums*

I thought it was good, but not *that* good. :p

Callistogenic

HSC
Yes. It is _that_ good.

At least to get into this course I don't need a UAI over 90, but a decent portfolio, Cheshire grin and a quick wit. :p

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
alphatango said:
Well, I like it here...ppl seem to be reasonably friendly. I guess the facilities and so on average out to be quite good; for example, the rooms aren't as big as they are in some of the other colleges, but are still a decent size (as long as you don't do stupid things like trying to fit a second bed in :p).

Self-catered gives a lot of flexibility (useful for me, since I have a few food allergies), and there's a small cafe-like place on the ground floor outside the kitchens which runs during the term for about four hours in the evening (1700-1900 or something, I think). Kitchens are quite good (shared, as are the fridge/freezers), and there's a smaller kitchenette on each floor with a microwave and a couple more communal fridges. I'd probably get a fridge for your room too; it makes things a lot easier, although (like a bike) it isn't necessary.

I could probably talk about a lot of the other aspects of Fenner, but my overall impression is a good one. In other words, I can see myself living here for four years if I don't decide that somewhere else is much, much better. Let me know if you want more info. :)
that and fenner is cheap. :p
I'd live there, but I can't cook...and I can't bike ride all that well either....:/
what about the other halls, is a bike necessary?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
A bike is neccasery if you don't have a car (and can aford parking tickets). Fenner has a shuttle bus though and it is a short walk.

Cooking is easy - or you can live on migoreng noodles (well i dont think its been scientifically proven that you can live on them - but you can try).

Fenner > B&G nuf said.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I derive most, if not all of my kicks from my bike.
Whether it's majestically floating down the slight hill past all the other losers from the law faculty, or terrorising the innocent by screaming down the more adventurous hills, a bike is a must-have for the aspiring tyrannt.
Ah, the alarmed turn of the head, the frantic decision making of which side of the path to take, the screams of profanity as they dive onto the damp grass, the WHOOSH that silences all objections.
A bike is indeed a noble steed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)