• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ANU Fully Catered Accommodation Offers (2 Viewers)

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
my friend got her accommodation offer like, last week sometime. but she's relocating from nsw so she's guaranteed a spot, if that makes a difference?

emiline

HSC
Yeah, Breezer, I am in your position also...live about 5 hours away and haven't heard... and I'm not too confident that my application was right...while everyone is saying that it went straight to the college of their first preference who are considering their application, my status is just "application received". (This is on the ANU Accommodation portal). What does yours say?

breezy221090

HSC
Yeah that's what mine says "Application Recieved". I don't even properly remember what my preferences were I think I might have put in Unilodge and Johns. What about you?

emiline

HSC
Oh no...still nothing! Will I have anywhere to live? SHould I perhaps ring them?

My preferences were Bruce, Johns, Ursies and Burgmann....

Very :confused:

moc2009

HSC
N/A
Oh no...still nothing! Will I have anywhere to live? SHould I perhaps ring them?

My preferences were Bruce, Johns, Ursies and Burgmann....

Very :confused:
Most of us are still waiting.

Don’t call yet, they said everyone will know by the end of tomorrow, they are doing the applications today and tomorrow.

breezy221090

HSC
Ok cool. I'd wait at least 48 hours from when we got offers. It's not as if everyone is saying they got their offers for accomodation.

garrybarry

HSC
Congrats to those who got offers, both the academic and accommodation kinds. I haven't yet. I'm sure I will though. Don't stress people. I've only seen pics of all the on campus accommodations, and I have to say UniLodge by far looks the best, I'm assuming that would follow through to the inside too. From what I hear, though, it kind of fails at social, which IMO is more important than looking nice. I've only gotten that impression from people on here though, and none seem to go there, which doesn't help. I just wish there was more info on UL.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Congrats to those who got offers, both the academic and accommodation kinds. I haven't yet. I'm sure I will though. Don't stress people. I've only seen pics of all the on campus accommodations, and I have to say UniLodge by far looks the best, I'm assuming that would follow through to the inside too. From what I hear, though, it kind of fails at social, which IMO is more important than looking nice. I've only gotten that impression from people on here though, and none seem to go there, which doesn't help. I just wish there was more info on UL.
I have alot of friends who go there. It doesn't have much of a social life because -

- It's new and doesn't have the same culture as other colleges while student committees at old colleges like Bruce are well established with sponsors, returning leaders and past ideas and events to draw upon for inspiration.

- Unilodge draws a different group of people, mainly international and postgraduate students more interested in doing their own thing.

- The Unilodge resident's committee is nowhere near as cashed up as other colleges on Daley Rd. Committee fees come out of your weekly utility rates, and anecdotally make up only $1 of that total.

- Unilodge really lacks in terms of common facilities. Catered halls have a dining room, bar and large common areas. Self catered halls have the same, just without a dining room. Unilodge just has a TV room, which the same group of people always use, so you'll never meet a large percentage of the people who live with you.

So with a small base, no sponsorship and a disinterested student body it only makes sense that the social life isn't as good.

garrybarry

HSC
Ah cheers for the info. I wasn't aware money was a key difference between all the halls. Do they all vary widely? What sort of discrepency is there between UL and the the halls? I guess culture definitely plays a huge part, and with UL being new, it would definitely lack this (although it is in it's 3rd year now, right?). It could still take leads from the halls when planning events though. I wouldn't necessarily say that a culture has to exist for it to be able to plan events. With over 1000 residents, surely at least 350 of them would be local (doesn't Johns have 350 residents?). I'm just saying, with numbers like that you'd think it would be fine socially. I'm sure Johns gets it's share of internationals, so not all of their residents would be social.

I did a lot of research when trying to decdide where to live, and UL seems to have fine common areas. The new one looks to have a TV Room separate from another lounge area. I'm just saying I think with the new building, and another 500 residents, things will probably be different. I'm saying this because people are saying they're not going to go to ANU if they have to stay at UL. Personally I'd love first hand feeback about the place, but that doesn't seem to be available here. I'm going to ANU regardless of what accommodation I get offered.

Last edited:

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Ah cheers for the info. I wasn't aware money was a key difference between all the halls. Do they all vary widely? What sort of discrepency is there between UL and the the halls? I guess culture definitely plays a huge part, and with UL being new, it would definitely lack this (although it is in it's 3rd year now, right?). It could still take leads from the halls when planning events though. I wouldn't necessarily say that a culture has to exist for it to be able to plan events. With over 1000 residents, surely at least 350 of them would be local (doesn't Johns have 350 residents?). I'm just saying, with numbers like that you'd think it would be fine socially. I'm sure Johns gets it's share of internationals, so not all of their residents would be social.

I did a lot of research when trying to decdide where to live, and UL seems to have fine common areas. The new one looks to have a TV Room separate from another lounge area. I'm just saying I think with the new building, and another 500 residents, things will probably be different. I'm saying this because people are saying they're not going to go to ANU if they have to stay at UL. Personally I'd love first hand feeback about the place, but that doesn't seem to be available here. I'm going to ANU regardless of what accommodation I get offered.
It's more that although some of the events that UL organises aren't half bad, no one actually turns up to them. And by no one, I mean about 20-30 people or so. Which is pretty pathetic when there are over 500 people who live there. From when I've been over there and from what friends at UL have told me, it differs to colleges socially in that there's no massive social groups and social events. People tend to clump together more in small social groups at UL.

As for accommodation in general, it looks like it's very full again this year. I got an email earlier today from the dean at Bruce:

"Hi all,

This mailing list is a little out of date, so I’m sorry if this message isn’t relevant to you. I’m writing to find out whether you are thinking of not returning to Bruce or of moving out if you’re currently in Packard. Applications to the ANU have been exceptionally strong this year and we’ve had virtually 100% acceptance of our offers of accommodation so far. This means we have very few rooms left (again!), even though the new Unilodge has opened and is filling fast. Our applicants are amazing and it would be great to take a whole bundle of them (or at least another 10).

So, if you are thinking of moving out, please let me know now so I can help out a new first year. If I can’t fit them in over the next couple of days the university will have to find some other temporary accommodation for them and then they’ll be signed up to something they can’t get out of even if you don’t return in February. We’ll loose all these great people as well as you and Bruce will be much the poorer for it.

Please email Mariana.Milin@anu.edu.au or Lucinda.Watt@anu.edu.au as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help,

Dierdre

Dr Dierdre Pearce
Acting Head of Hall
Bruce Hall
Building 40, Daley Road
ANU 0200

Phone: +61 (0)2 6125 6008
Fax: +61 (0)2 6125 6010
Email: Dierdre.Pearce@anu.edu.au

CRICOS No: 00120C"

bluemonday

HSC
Anyone received anything yet?:confused:

EDIT: It still just says "Application Received" for me in the Accommodation Portal.

Last edited:

emiline

HSC
Yep, I've got nothing, with an ugly "Application Received" in portal at 11 o'clock two days after offers with no email, letter or any form of correspondence...grim and bleak future of park benches ahead...

moc2009

HSC
N/A
Anyone received anything yet?:confused:

EDIT: It still just says "Application Received" for me in the Accommodation Portal.
Me too.

It hasn’t even changed to “academic offer” yet – even though I’ve been given an offer at ANU and accepted.

Maybe later today, but seeing as we haven’t been contacted I guess it means we didn’t get our first preference.

PS: Edit: It also obvious that when you applied doesn’t mean anything, I applied back in September. lol

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Don't panic guys, you won't be on park benches. All first year undergrads from outside the ACT have guaranteed accommodation if they apply through UAS. You may end up in some bizarre places as the ANU tries to cope with demand though. In the first semester of 2008 the ANU had to rent out an entire floor of a hotel because they had such an overflow. Those kids got nice rooms, a turn down service and then got to choose the college they wanted to go to afterwards :L)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)