Anxiety Attacks.. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Does anyone get them?
I get them occasionally and it can't be helped...mostly i can get away so i'm alone while it happens (so no one really is aware of me having them) but i had a really bad one that crept up on me the other day, luckily i was alone at the time...I KNOW that they will get really bad by 3rd term....I don't want to have to hide away daily and once i've had one...the rest of the day, regardless of the time, is spent on trying to keep my eyes open. After or just before i have one i try doing things like massage my temples and ears...but thats it...

Does anyone have this issue as well?
Or ways to deal with it? massaging/breathing techniques etc... :bomb:

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
I used to get pretty bad anxiety attacks but they were late at night when I couldn't understand something about school or kept kept kept getting a maths problem wrong. Um, I'm a tense person but I just asked my teachers for help and stuff (about the coursework) and eventually it sunk in and just finished the HSC, wasn't too stressed. Though now I'll spend the next 5 weeks worrying about my results. The only thing I could do to lessen them was go straight to bed when I knew I was having one. Obviously that only works if it's at night though -

HSC
Mine occur anytime. Mostly when i'm alone (when given a moment to contemplate) or if i have a deadline. The last one was during a shower (because i was just weighing up everything about school)...

Though sleeping earlier would not help me, i feel less alone about it ^^

...thanx

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I don't know. Maybe I do other things too much to notice anything :eek:

HSC
anxiety attacks are pretty serious

but don't worry, all of us are in the same position as u, we're all worried bout the hsc as well, so don't get too nervous, we're all in the same boat

HSC
I don't get them, but I'd say talk to someone about what's worrying you. Whether it be school work, or something completely unrelated, there's ALWAYS someone to talk to.

HSC
Yeah it is going to suck during that time..i have a maths test in two weeks and i couldnt stop laughing! Its so embarressing but when i get stressed in class i will laugh for ages and ages withouth pause...
>< its so embarressing..and every little thing will make me burst out in laughter.

hehe i spent all of 30mins just laughing and laughing.Pissed everyone off...though it makes you feel good after :p

Thanx for the advice yoakim. wikipedia is the coolest 8-p

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
MortImmortelle said:
Yeah it is going to suck during that time..i have a maths test in two weeks and i couldnt stop laughing! Its so embarressing but when i get stressed in class i will laugh for ages and ages withouth pause...
>< its so embarressing..and every little thing will make me burst out in laughter.

hehe i spent all of 30mins just laughing and laughing.Pissed everyone off...though it makes you feel good after :p
Hehe, I do that to. Whenever I get really anxious or stressed I just start laughing and laughing, and start acting like I'm high on something! The night before the HSC started this year I was running around the house scaring my sister because I was laughing so hysterically :p

Some things that can help with anxiety are;

- listening to relaxing music or your favourite song
- dance crazily around your bedroom to your fave song (it works, trust me :p)
- watch your favourite movie
- go for a walk
- read a book (a non-school book!)
- burn incense or some of those aromatherapy oils
- hold your breathe and count to ten
- try to write it out when you're feeling anxious about something
- play an video game or a game online
- try to find some perspective on whatever it is youre feeling so anxious about, for example will it be such a big deal in 5-10 years time?
- breathing exercises (http://www.stressfreeyouth.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=196, you can google more)

There's heaps more here: http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=243&np=293&id=2210

If it gets too bad though, try seeing your doctor.

:)

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
MortImmortelle said:

Thanx for the advice yoakim. wikipedia is the coolest 8-p
Lol. Laughter therapy, nice one.

john31459

HSC
N/A
You could try distracting yourself when you feel one starting. Or you could talk to your friends about what worries you, sometimes that can help to put things in perspective. Otherwise you should talk to your doctor. There's a whole bunch of medications that have helped some people to cope with their anxiety (from anticonvulsants to beta blockers and SSRIs etc).

chryslerregal

HSC
Anxiety Attacks are more than just a feeling of anxiety or extreme worry over something. I suffered from severe anxiety when I was 15 and I had to leave school over it. When I had one, its not just like I was doing something and I started to worry about it - they would strike at any time, for no apparent reason.
I used to get the most awful undescribable rush of adrenalin, my head would spin, I wouldnt be able to feel my body properly and my heart would be pumping so hard that I honestly believed I was going to die. All those breathing technique things didnt do a thing for me and I had to be sedated for long periods of time. Eventually after about a year of the illness, I started to make progress, but yeah, those techniques they teach you had no effect on me.
It sounds like most of you have what I had when I started to build up to the full on anxiety attacks. My advice - start doing something about it before it takes over your life. Trust me, I wish I had of!!

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Oh dear, that's not too good. Has it eased off a bit? Hope you don't have them as severely or not at all anymore :)

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Try doing something that you enjoy i.e. Bike ride, hanging out with friends. Do this to try and take your mind off the HSC. Remember all study and no play makes billy dull.

chryslerregal

HSC
Yeah, everyone who is having any kind of anxiety during the HSC, definitely see a doctor and get some preventative help before you find yourself unable to do all those things you like.
I seriously wish I had someone to tell me to seek help before mine developed, cause in the worst of it, I couldnt even have a shower because of the anxiety, I couldnt get out of bed, I couldnt talk to anyone, I couldnt even just lay there without feeling it.
And what was worse, was it made me think that my family were doing it to me by putting something in my food and water, so yeah, DO something before it takes over.
Even now 6 years on, I still live with it everyday, I havnt had an attack for 6 years, but the feelings sometimes still creep up and I think about it and try and prevent it everyday of my life.
For anyone who is suffering from anxiety, dont bother to tell your friends all about it, or expect them to understand, cause no one can possible understand unless they've experienced it. The feeling is unimaginable. See a doctor.

Anyway, thats all now, god I sound like some raving nut case lol.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Just wondering, what are some of the preventative measures you had? Like counselling or medication or?

It's great that you've gotten better, good on you :)

chryslerregal

HSC
Well as strange as it seems, I couldnt actually have any medication because the anxiety made me think that my parents, the doctors etc were doing it to me by giving me medication, so I used to have an attack just thinking about taking a pill!!
There came a time for me, where one day I realised that no doctor could help me and no drug was going to cure me and there wasnt an operation to help me either. So I had to help myself. Once that hit me (and it was hard to accept) I was able to start controlling my thoughts and behaviours a bit better. It took a long time and yes, I failed many attempts before I made any progress, but eventually I started being able to leave the house again, and start eating meals prepared by other people, and each day it got better.
God, it was the most hardest experience ever, and even though now, I can look back on it and think how dam ridiculous the whole thing was, and how stupid my thoughts were, it just takes over.
So if you know anyone who has this problem, dont try and understand cause you cant, and dont tell them to 'just get over it' or 'stop worrying' because trust me they cant!!
It took a lot of effort but eventually I got better. I still have minor episodes and I have to work at preventing it everyday, still, but I got better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)