Anxious all the time... (1 Viewer)

MathsWizard

HSC
Hi,
So.. being a senior high school student now, I've realised that I've become increasingly nervous and anxious all the time. It's become so bad that simple things like talking to a friend or participating in classroom discussion can be a situation of dread. Even recently, I was simply asked to answer a question in class however my nerves got the better of me and my voice just came out as if I were going to cry. Is there anyone out there with this same issue? And any tips on preventing this from happening in the future?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,
So.. being a senior high school student now, I've realised that I've become increasingly nervous and anxious all the time. It's become so bad that simple things like talking to a friend or participating in classroom discussion can be a situation of dread. Even recently, I was simply asked to answer a question in class however my nerves got the better of me and my voice just came out as if I were going to cry. Is there anyone out there with this same issue? And any tips on preventing this from happening in the future?
Try going to a pyschologist?

DLMisme

HSC
Adrita suggested a good website. I have had very severe anxiety issues also and as much as you probably are going to dislike hearing it, the best way to overcome anxiety is to do things that make you anxious. Don't me wrong, you will definitely have to take baby steps. I really hated answering questions in class (I still do) but I've found that if I can answer a really quick, simple question the teacher isn't likely to choose me again. If the answer is obvious and easy, that's when you should try to put up your hand and answer it. I find a teacher is far less likely to ask you another harder question later on if you've already answered.

I also strongly suggest to talk to a counsellor, that definitely helped me. You mentioned getting anxious even simply talking to friends. I was in the same situation, and with help from a professional and time you can overcome your anxiety. I still get very anxious over simple things too, but I am now able to manage it effectively. For example I just had my very first job interview this afternoon. That was incredibly stressful and I would never have been capable of doing it a year ago, but with the help of my counsellor I've been able to handle anxiety-provoking situations. I recommend you check out the headspace website and get help for your anxiety. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to PM me anytime if you need :)

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Head to your GP, tell him about your angst, get a referral from your GP for a psychologist... If all that sounds daunting for the time being, see your school counsellor, tell him/her what you are going through and try and work out something...

There is not stigma...

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I suffer from anxiety too that is compounded by school stress. As previously stated, get some support from a school Counsellor or year advisor. If you're not confident speak to someone online via Kids Helpline or Headspace.
People shouldn't look down on you if you go to a Counsellor. People go for a range of reasons. In my experience, it is great to "vent" to someone you don't know you personally as such. May I add that if you get support from a counseling or similar it's completely private and confidential.
Good luck and take care!

greengirl01

HSC
Like others have said, don't be ashamed to go see a counsellor and also look into applying for Special Provisions if you are still to do the HSC. To do this you just have to get a letter from your GP and you could get up to 5 mins rest time during exams.
Take magnesium tablets, they are expensive but really help with nervous tension.

PM me if you have questions. Good luck!

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Like others have said, don't be ashamed to go see a counsellor and also look into applying for Special Provisions if you are still to do the HSC. To do this you just have to get a letter from your GP and you could get up to 5 mins rest time during exams.
Take magnesium tablets, they are expensive but really help with nervous tension.
Also consider practicing deep breathing a few times a day, even just for a minute at a time.
Last thing, and this might be too hippie for you, but i cannot recommend it strongly enough: Bach Rescue Remedy: http://www.directlyfromnature.com/Original_Bach_RESCUE_Remedy_s/1814.htm. You just add some to your water bottle and it helps so much!

PM me if you have questions. Good luck!
Do not take Mg tablets if you are trying to lose weight at all

IR

HSC
Hi,
I wasn't that bad, but when I got anxious I screwed over my Yr 11 exams and currently because of excess caffeine faced DELIRIUM. Maybe see if you can find some factors as such that causes this. In my case, I am gonna stay away from caffeine for the next few days till HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)