• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Any Asian girls whose parents are against them dating "Westerners"? (2 Viewers)

RiCkiE

HSC
Well i'm a guy and my parents don't like me dating western girls :p but like it matters, really.

RiCkiE

HSC
with my parents it's because of the cultural difference and the "difficulty" they'll have in relating to one another.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
My parents are Croatians and they'd like me to date or marry a Croatian guy. But like that'd happen anyway.

It's a cultural thing- parents think the path of least resistance is with someone of your own culture/background. Some parents see it as a security thing, especially when they themselves have come from that culture/background to another. They feel that their child will be best protected by someone who is from the same country/race etc.

MikiRei

HSC
Lol - my parents PREFER I date Asians, but they've pretty much have themselves geared up and ready for the day I walk in with a Western but to be honest, I know they 200% prefer me marrying an Asian. Lol as....

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I wonder what the reaction in this thread would be to a white girl saying 'Any White girls whose parents are against them dating Asians?'
I think alot of families would tell their children that, if not implicitly. Regardless I don't think many white girls are strongly attracted to asian guys, so the whole problem soughts its self out anyways.

karoooh

HSC
My dad does, more so than mum, but like his opinion matters anyway.

Mum would prefer it, but she'd want, even more so, for us to be happy and for the guy not to be a fucking bastard. That and because she's gotten used to the fact that my sister is in a long-term relationship with a white guy and that her opinions on the guy/s that I'll date in the future won't factor extremely prominently.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
To everyone in this thread, its a legitimate question because whilst my parents are (thankfully) not THAT strict (I mean, they are strict but they aren't that moronic) there are a heap of girls out there whose parents will only approve of them dating other asians.

azzie put it best - the parents want people of the same culture because they think that that will ensure the best possible outcome for them.

My parent attitude is that its far more important for me to be a) happy and b) find someone with similar "morals" rather than of exactly the same culture, which doesn't always equate to the same morals.

Eg. I'm far more suited to an Australian boy then I would be to a traditional Chinese boy who (to stereotype) would expect me to stay at home barefoot and pregnant forever. And I'll probably have far less problems with the in-laws etc.

And they define morals as things like the same outlook on money, family, career, caring for elderly, children etc.

RiCkiE

HSC
This is going to turn into another "Interracial Relationships" thread isn't it.:mad1:

karoooh

HSC
ujuphleg said:
To everyone in this thread, its a legitimate question because whilst my parents are (thankfully) not THAT strict (I mean, they are strict but they aren't that moronic) there are a heap of girls out there whose parents will only approve of them dating other asians.

azzie put it best - the parents want people of the same culture because they think that that will ensure the best possible outcome for them.

My parent attitude is that its far more important for me to be a) happy and b) find someone with similar "morals" rather than of exactly the same culture, which doesn't always equate to the same morals.

Eg. I'm far more suited to an Australian boy then I would be to a traditional Chinese boy who (to stereotype) would expect me to stay at home barefoot and pregnant forever. And I'll probably have far less problems with the in-laws etc.

And they define morals as things like the same outlook on money, family, career, caring for elderly, children etc.
Meh too.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
My parents are now quite open-minded. I doubt they'd mind if I had a white boyfriend. The only thing would be they can only communicate with him in english.

Then again, my boyfriend who's Asian can't speak chinese so they speak english to him anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)