• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Any Asian girls whose parents are against them dating "Westerners"? (2 Viewers)

LynH1326

HSC
Case in point: A man who's friends with my dad married a Phillippino woman (who is also muslim). He's embraced the culture and the religion, and she has also embraced the Aussie way of life. Their daughter is married to an Aussie and they also have a daughter. They're pretty cool people, very laid back and relaxed about things. I don't know what the woman's parents said about it, but she was cool with her daughter marrying an Aussie. Perhaps cuz of the way that they live.

My best friend is Korean-Australian, her mum is Korean and her dad is an Aussie. Her family were ok about her marrying an Australian, and my friend gets to enjoy an Australian and a Korean upbringing.

I think maybe your parents should see the bright side of things: if you have a boyfriend who is willing to enjoy your cultural heritage with you and one that you will be willing to share his heritage then it will be ok. If it gets to the time where you marry a "white guy" and have children, then bring them up with the best of both worlds!

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
I really don't understand you guys. I mean, as if even tell your parents who you're dating??

My parents don't care. They just want a Christian.

RiCkiE

HSC
Cykologi_gal said:
Interesting stuff...

I wish my parents were as open-minded as most of yours are. DAMMIT

2. Asian guys care more about the family.
that's such an old fashioned view :p I barely give a damn about family.
anyways the only thing that should matter in a relationship is mutual affection. nothing else.

Bendent

HSC
if i were to date some1 of another race that person has to take an interest in my culture. otherwise ill jsut marry asian.

lengy

HSC
Bendent said:
if i were to date some1 of another race that person has to take an interest in my culture. otherwise ill jsut marry asian.
Goes both ways.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
what the hell is wrong with these parents? That kind of bigotry is not welcome in Australia. If they didnt want their daughter to interact with aussies why did they come here in the first place? I am sure theres plenty of asians in Saigon you can force your kids to marry, and virtually no presence of the white immoral devil.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Serius said:
what the hell is wrong with these parents? That kind of bigotry is not welcome in Australia. If they didnt want their daughter to interact with aussies why did they come here in the first place? I am sure theres plenty of asians in Saigon you can force your kids to marry, and virtually no presence of the white immoral devil.
education and communism

Gurlpower

HSC
there is nothing better thana purebred

a nice blue eyed blonde girl should NEVER mix with brown pluses

lengy

HSC
Bendent said:
the fact that im in australia assumes i already should take an interest in it.
Not neccessarily. You could be in this country and hate integrating.

Are you saying you'd choose the an Asian, that could well be cheating on you or abusive or whatever, over say a perfect person, physically or personality wise, of any other race just because they take no interest in your culture?

Yes, I realise that they may be 'imperfect' just because in your opinion they don't take an interest in your culture, but I ment in every other way. They love the person you are, acknowledge your background but isn't interested in know more about it,

karoooh

HSC
LynH1326 said:
Case in point: A man who's friends with my dad married a Phillippino woman (who is also muslim). He's embraced the culture and the religion, and she has also embraced the Aussie way of life. Their daughter is married to an Aussie and they also have a daughter. They're pretty cool people, very laid back and relaxed about things. I don't know what the woman's parents said about it, but she was cool with her daughter marrying an Aussie. Perhaps cuz of the way that they live.

My best friend is Korean-Australian, her mum is Korean and her dad is an Aussie. Her family were ok about her marrying an Australian, and my friend gets to enjoy an Australian and a Korean upbringing.

I think maybe your parents should see the bright side of things: if you have a boyfriend who is willing to enjoy your cultural heritage with you and one that you will be willing to share his heritage then it will be ok. If it gets to the time where you marry a "white guy" and have children, then bring them up with the best of both worlds!
Serius said:
But a majority of our parents don't really mind.

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Both my elder cousins on my dad's side have found guys from Singapore...that made my parents loosen up a bit - but they'd still want me to marry an Asian grrr...I can't stand Asians, especially one who hasn't seen the world like I have.

The funny thing is that they always go on about destinies and fates etc! When I confront them, they would just say that 'oh, you make your own destinies' - which is true, but I hate it how they use that fact against me.

LOL...another thing is that parents usually draw a line between friendship/interactions with marriage. They'd want you to interact, sure, but marriage?! It's always up to them, there's always the threat of being disowned...

Really ironic.

...but I've found the most awesome guy for me, met when we're like 13/14, not gonna give him up for stupid things like family preferences, pure-bloodness lol - very Slytherin-like.

Not going there, I'll be a Gryffindor, thanks.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Why do people even really care about someone's ethnicity? I don't mean this as another PC rant but more just to say that I don't care much at all if someone says they associate with culture x,y,z. I don't like people in the first place that let their ethnicity dictate how they must act. Sure, people from different cultures will have different aspects to them, I think that makes friendships a bit more exciting in a way, but this idea that your ethnicty is something which makes up a large portion of your being just pisses me off. If you're an aussie you don't have to love cricket, beer, if you're an indian/pakistani you don't need to love cricket either, if you're lebanese you don't need to drive a done up car with a loud exhaust etc...

Sure, a part of all that may be some of your identity, but to me, I just see way too many people clinging on to whatever stereotype they can find because it makes being accepted alot easier.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
^ Well said.
Cykologi_gal said:
especially one who hasn't seen the world like I have.
How exactly have you seen the world? Having been at the same school as yours for the past six years and knowing some of your experiences, I can't imagine what you would have seen that I haven't.

I totally agree with you that we should be able to choose who we want to be with without our parents limiting them to certain races or religions, but ...
Cykologi_gal said:
I can't stand Asians
Cykologi_gal said:
I don't like asian guys at all
What exactly can't you stand about Asians? Sorry for picking on you but I couldn't help noticing you repeating this a few times. You said they care more about family. I suppose that's a bad thing?

By the way, you might wanna take a look in the mirror. Shock horror! YOU'RE Asian! :eek:

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Cykologi_gal said:
they would just say that 'oh, you make your own destinies' - which is true, but I hate it how they use that fact against me.
what?

vorahk

HSC
Nakashima to cykology_gal
Nakashima said:
^ Well said.
How exactly have you seen the world? Having been at the same school as yours for the past six years and knowing some of your experiences, I can't imagine what you would have seen that I haven't.

I totally agree with you that we should be able to choose who we want to be with without our parents limiting them to certain races or religions, but ...

What exactly can't you stand about Asians? Sorry for picking on you but I couldn't help noticing you repeating this a few times. You said they care more about family. I suppose that's a bad thing?

By the way, you might wanna take a look in the mirror. Shock horror! YOU'RE Asian! :eek:
from what ive heard from you cyko gal, you hate your own race. lol what are you going to do? chuck a micheal Jackson? oh btw you re an disgrace to all asians... hating your own race.. pfft. where is the love?

*hopeful*

HSC
to sidetrack a bit, i dont think its only asians who prefer their kids to not date "westerners"....but i think its a bigger deal for them when it comes to marriage rather than dating

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Cykologi_gal said:
Both my elder cousins on my dad's side have found guys from Singapore...that made my parents loosen up a bit - but they'd still want me to marry an Asian grrr...I can't stand Asians, especially one who hasn't seen the world like I have.
Cool. Well I like Yellow, Black, White, Pink, Red, Emo Blue and Purple people....
I still think that you can't completely dissociate with ALL Asians because you have all kinds, the mainland variety then the Naturalised etc etc etc.
What do you mean by not seeing the world as you have?

I think what I appreciate is not someones race, but rather what they do with themselves. But that's just me.

Cykologi_gal said:
The funny thing is that they always go on about destinies and fates etc! When I confront them, they would just say that 'oh, you make your own destinies' - which is true, but I hate it how they use that fact against me.
I've never had that before with mine. Hahaha.
They just want me to be happy?

Cykologi_gal said:
...but I've found the most awesome guy for me, met when we're like 13/14, not gonna give him up for stupid things like family preferences, pure-bloodness lol - very Slytherin-like. Not going there, I'll be a Gryffindor, thanks.
Uh. Harry Potter Anology.
Lawl.

Cykologi_gal said:
Interesting stuff...

I wish my parents were as open-minded as most of yours are. DAMMIT

1. They think I'd remain more comfy with the Chinese lifestyle.
2. Asian guys care more about the family.
3. Westerners are more likely to divorce - they also strictly forbid me to marry someone from a divorced family, thinking that it would run in the family and that I'd divorce as well.
4. My first boyfriend was actually a full-white Australian and mum actually accepted him...but after I got hurt really badly by him, she turned her back on the whole lot of them.
5. The language and culture problem.
6. My family's pure-Chinese lol - blood-traitors are not allowed...ancestry matters a lot there, especially when I discovered that we were once the royals.
7. They think that mix-bloods would have something in their makeup that would harm future generations - seriously, I think they just think that it's impure lol - like we're dogs lol.

...but I won't listen to them. It's my life really...but I'll have to get my degrees first, then I can 'fight' and defy them. Man - what is it with Asian parents and education as well...

Well...I've rambled on enough, so glad that I've got it off my chest!
I can safely say that neither of my parents were ever brought up in the traditional Chinese way. That is what makes me and my choices so limitless in every aspect of my life :)

Your parents are just reflecting on what they've been taught themselves, educate them slowly or something.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
look here mate. i have seen asian girls who dont care who they are with they just go with anyguy cuz its always the guy who looks like some genuine hard working bloke but in the end you will realise that westerners dont study realy at all.

im not trying to be racist but the fact is that you will regret mixing up with a different culture.
muahha
unsuccessful future when its all random

Thats absolute bullshit because I know about 50 guys who go against what you've just stated. Plus your so called fact about "mixing with a different culture = regret" is completely wrong and unsubstantiated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)