Any bass players? (1 Viewer)

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
the two people above me are fucking morons.

the bass guitar and the double bass have the same range as far as I know, and harmonics

it's basically an amplified double bass and apparently transition between the two isn't that hard

like acoustic and electric guitars

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
omg golfstick your a dipstick!!! for starters a double bass dont have any dam frets...so you need a dam good ear to pitch the right notes...and u play it upright compared to sideways...and its only like a million times bigger than an electric bass...like dude, lift your game!

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
oh my god fucking hell. make it 3 morons

i can't believe you're explaining to me that a double bass has is fretless and it's (shock!) bigger and upright.. :rolleyes:

There is a strong similarity between the fingering used on both (both have the same EADG tuning I think) and if you can play bass guitar even moderately well it shouldn't be that hard to adapt to fretless. There are obviously a few issues of technique, and it depends on how you approach the double bass (the Living End guy, for example, doesn't use a bow) but adaptation between the two shouldn't be that difficult.

People who play both well, I respect that just like anyone would.

Acoustic guitars have thicker bodies, wider fretboards and heavier-gauge strings than electrics. Does that make them 'totally different' from each other as well?

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
you must not play a musical instrument...because u claim to appreciate...but god dude you dont know shit...stop assuming that it is easy to do, because it aint...not in the slightest...i just wish i knew enough to clarify whether it is the same tuning or not :S

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
Meads said:
i just wish i knew enough to clarify whether it is the same tuning or not :S
well you don't

they are the same

I play guitar (acoustic and electric) and have played bass in the past, not overly well though (i only really mucked around with it and quit when I was young)

I'm not saying it's easy to switch between the two, I've never tried it, but you are all pretending that they are completely different instruments when there are so many similarities which are exactly what make the transition between the two possible. That article outlines the technical differences which I've already said exist.

tempco

HSC
i've tried using a bow, and it was extremely hard (on a violin anyway). in that sense, it's completely different. but they're not completely different instruments.

golfstick said:
transition between the two isn't that hard.
basic transition, hard. but not overly hard.

HSC
N/A
Golf stick is right, you are all morons.

I can play both electic and upright. Aside from the obvious size difference, and lack of frets, there is hardly any difference at all between electric and upright. I'm not saying that it's an easy instrument to play or anything like that, I'm just commenting on how weird ur_inner_childs comment was about having respect for people who can play both, like they were two different instruments or something.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
fake_mcdickpant said:
Golf stick is right, you are all morons.

I can play both electic and upright. Aside from the obvious size difference, and lack of frets, there is hardly any difference at all between electric and upright. I'm not saying that it's an easy instrument to play or anything like that, I'm just commenting on how weird ur_inner_childs comment was about having respect for people who can play both, like they were two different instruments or something.
i have a respect for people who can play both

i never implied that the reason for this was that they were two different instruments entirely. otherwise i would've said something like

"i like bass players who can play other instruments as well"

the reason why i like em is their transition to it. its not the same intrument, but its not like they're learning a whole new intrument either. don't start making up stuff that i didn't say, it makes you look stupid.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
golfstick said:
oh my god fucking hell. make it 3 morons

i can't believe you're explaining to me that a double bass has is fretless and it's (shock!) bigger and upright.. :rolleyes:
no, i was being very patronising when i said the difference. perhaps i deserved it, you know karma, for being patronising.

golfstick said:
There is a strong similarity between the fingering used on both (both have the same EADG tuning I think) and if you can play bass guitar even moderately well it shouldn't be that hard to adapt to fretless. There are obviously a few issues of technique, and it depends on how you approach the double bass (the Living End guy, for example, doesn't use a bow) but adaptation between the two shouldn't be that difficult.
which i totally agree

golfstick said:
People who play both well, I respect that just like anyone would.
which is what i meant.

more often than not most bass players i have met recently play both electric and double, which i have fallen in love with cuz theyre really really good, and i'm just finding them really fun to be around with especially to have a jamming session with. i'm sorry if you decided to blow up at the fact that i was basing my respect from personal experience?

and i merely, if you read, showed my love towards bass players who can play double bass.

golfstick said:
Acoustic guitars have thicker bodies, wider fretboards and heavier-gauge strings than electrics. Does that make them 'totally different' from each other as well?
Looks like we're on the same wave length. you guys toootttaaallly read

"oh, and i am in love with bass guys who can actually figure out how to do the double bass too."
way too much. I'm sorry I didn't make it more clearer.

I'll do it again

"electric bass players are great. especially if they can play good. electric bass players who can play good are good. but it is an added bonus, that i feel that i am free to express, that when an electric bass player can play double bass good as well, are good too."

happy now?

thank god for you nekkid.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
ie play bass AND play double bass?

you know, the huge violin looking bass?

there are a few at the con who play electric bass AND double bass and theyre fucking talented
This certainly seems to imply that they're "fucking talented" because they can play both upright and electric.

tempco

HSC
fake_mcdickpant said:
But no more talented really than someone who only plays one or the other.
erm, so you're saying that a person who can play the electric bass and the double bass well is as talented as someone who can play the electic bass well?

oooooooooook.

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
nekkid said:
erm, so you're saying that a person who can play the electric bass and the double bass well is as talented as someone who can play the electic bass well?

oooooooooook.
I'm lost.... :(

Lennie

who needs a pick for a bass? its crazy, the strings are fat as! and stumming gives it a cleaner classier tone.
ive always considered using a pick to be a cop-out... dont know why... :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)