Any evo fans? (1 Viewer)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Anyone here likes the Evo IX??

Godamn man, im in love with that car. Its a 2 litre engine - thats capable of 550 break horsepower! Its got one hell of a turbo, phenominal rally handling, and its got its tough and mean road prescence to boot!

So...anyone here likes the Evo IX?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's alright. I'd pick it over an STi.

EDIT: Isn't it "brake horse power"? I'm not too familiar with those units (after studying a bit of physics in Australia). on a sidenote, Have you driven an Evo9 before? I personally haven't but I've tailed enough of them!

Last edited:

Jiga

I rate the Evo as a car (looks good, prity powerful)... but in a practical sense they aernt the best street car. Their home is on the track.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
I believe that brake horse power specifically refers to the power at the crank/flywheel. Not to be confused with a measurement at the wheels, which would incur drivetrain and gearbox power losses.
However, it is possible that some manufacturers measure the power after the gearbox, or at the wheels. I can't say that I've seen that happen, though. I'd consider all 'hp' figures to be flywheel measurements unless otherwise stated, like 'atw'.

EDIT: Rally cars are for rallies. I see no purpose in taking it out on the street on a consistent basis. Let alone as a daily driver. Noisy, hot, uncomfortable, bumpy, hard clutch, poor interior material quality, etc., etc. Power, handling and image don't offset the disadvantages for me. Also consider the replacement prices, when something goes wrong (and it will), of a car full of special made parts... Even if you are driving a kid's wet dream.

Last edited:

blackkatz

HSC
I like Evo's, from the 3rd generation throughout.
The Evo8 IMO is a great car for its price, but Im still not sure bout the 9 tho.

But, as for daily-driving, I'd pick other car than the Evo.
Its not suitable for daily driving, gas-guzzler, hard clutch, high maintenance cost, hard suspension, expensive insurance, etc.

Im not saying its that bad, but for a soon-to-be-college student like me, riding an Evo is hard, especially living with it.

The power and performance might be great, along with its tuning capabilities, but I wont take the Evo anytime soon.

Anyway, the Evo lineup is still amazing, and I like them very much.

macoboi

HSC
Huge fan of the EVO IX, probably not the most practical on th street, but if you wanted something to hit the track with, and drive be able to drive it home at the end of the day, this would be it.
Not a fan of the VIII's looks, and this one doesnt look much better (EVO 6.5 TME- best looking evo ever) but, if i was shopping in that price range, it would be my pick.

Zozo6969

HSC
S1M0 said:
im in love with that car. Its a 2 litre engine - thats capable of 550 break horsepower! Its got one hell of a turbo, phenominal rally handling, and its got its tough and mean road prescence to boot!
Try get 176 kw without a turbo, from a 4 cylinder 2 litre engine, that revs to 9000rpm. honda 2000 buddy

Jiga

^

Although its impressive, the reason why it revs that high is because it has to due to a lack of torque and power down low. And its $75k!!!! :bomb:

blackkatz

HSC
I like the S200 style though, it looks calmer.
But like had been said, it lacks low-end torque and power, pushing it to rev high.

I'd still pick the Evo IX tho: cheaper, more aggresive, and track ready.

Which reminds me, do anyone here knows EXACTLY the current Evo IX price range? Thx.

Valeu

HSC
the evo would annihilate the aurion, on the track and in a straight line - it's actual power is closer to 230kw, and its 4wd means it's very quick off the line. The Aurion weighs like 1630kg. It wouldn't be close by any means. Also, 300+kw is only a few tweaks away.

Personally, I love Evos. They are no-nonsense performance cars, and quicker point-to-point than vehicles worth 5 times as much. Sure its got a cheap interior, and it rides harshly, but it makes supercar performance available to the masses. For the same reason, skyline GT-Rs and RX7s are great cars - previously that sort of performance was only available to those who could afford euro exotica. Driving enthusiasts are very lucky that cars like the evo exist.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
When people say rally cars... I'm under the distinct impression that the Evo9 you buy from Mitsubishi =/= the rally car used in the rallies... isn't the consumer model supposed to be somewhat more reliable for normal usage (and compliance with ADR?) and have the normal creature comforts (eg. air cond)..? IIRC, my cousin's evo7 came with air cond.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Zozo6969 said:
Try get 176 kw without a turbo, from a 4 cylinder 2 litre engine, that revs to 9000rpm. honda 2000 buddy
try getting an s2000 to keep up with a lambo gallardo on a track :rolleyes:

is it bull? i dont know, but when a race driver takes a corner too hard in the gallardo (spinning out) and the evo rolls past him (driven by a TV host) its hard to want to fork out all that cash for a gallardo

and seremify, yeah, they are overdoing it. it comes with ALOT of features, including a nifty piece of technology that can cut power to the front wheels and channel them to the rear ones to prevent understeer. last time i read you could easily do a right angle turn going 60 (must be hard to do if it was placed as a plus in a review)

i know a guy that gets 500Kms out of a full tank in his 200SX (and he thrashes it hard). i dont know what you guys get out of your cars, but my corolla barely hits the 10KM/L mark and it is near stock, so i'm pretty sure the Evo could at least match 10KM/L (or 10L/100KM average for the retarded people that write it this way >.>)

Last edited:

Jiga

the evo would annihilate the aurion, on the track and in a straight line - it's actual power is closer to 230kw, and its 4wd means it's very quick off the line. The Aurion weighs like 1630kg. It wouldn't be close by any means. Also, 300+kw is only a few tweaks away.
Supposedly the 0-100kmh speeds are like:

Evo - 5.5secs
Aurion - 6.5secs

Hardly an annihiliation! No doubting it would smash da Aurion in around a track, but I would have expected alittle more, 1sec over a family car... a good start would reduce that gap even more :wave:

i know a guy that gets 500Kms out of a full tank in his 200SX (and he thrashes it hard). i dont know what you guys get out of your cars, but my corolla barely hits the 10KM/L mark and it is near stock, so i'm pretty sure the Evo could at least match 10KM/L (or 10L/100KM average for the retarded people that write it this way >.>)
My car does about 8KM/L... but I am prity heavy footed and its an old 3L V6.

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
veterandoggy said:
try getting an s2000 to keep up with a lambo gallardo on a track :rolleyes:

is it bull? i dont know, but when a race driver takes a corner too hard in the gallardo (spinning out) and the evo rolls past him (driven by a TV host) its hard to want to fork out all that cash for a gallardo
I smell top gear! :)

From memory there was a section after it where the Evo got beaten by some small car because they started off in a high gear or something... what was the point of that?

veterandoggy said:
and seremify, yeah, they are overdoing it. it comes with ALOT of features, including a nifty piece of technology that can cut power to the front wheels and channel them to the rear ones to prevent understeer. last time i read you could easily do a right angle turn going 60 (must be hard to do if it was placed as a plus in a review)
Whilst I'm no pro driver... I can't help but think that with technology like that, the Evo is becoming a normal car (as in, it's no longer just an enthusiasts vehicle). Although with things like that behind the wheel, it'd probably increase the chances of me buying one.

veterandoggy said:
I get around 7km/L as you put it... and that's with light/medium footed driving in city conditions (with ocassional iVtec bursts)- and when I say city, I mean start-stop traffic in the CBD. Sigh. Don't know how your mate can get 500km from a single tank when thrashing it- even with premium petrol (has it even been conclusively proven that premium has a significant effect on lowernig consumption?- esp when thrashing a car)? I'm lucky to get more than 380km from my 50L tank if I'm driving (or sitting in traffic) in the CBD... and let's not forget I'm supposedly running a 1.8L "petrol friendly" car. IIRC the sticker said 7.2L/100km combined- I'm getting >13L/100km!

macoboi

HSC
seremify007 said:
I smell top gear! :)

From memory there was a section after it where the Evo got beaten by some small car because they started off in a high gear or something... what was the point of that?
It was just to show the lag from the hairdryer on the evo, they had a rolling start, both cars in 5th, and the little grocery-getter just kept pulling away while the evo was spooling up. Hardly a realistic test, but i think they were looking for a fault somewhere in the evo

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't drive a manual in the real world... but out of interest, why would anyone start their car in 5th gear? I know that at higher speeds, 5th gear will return better mileage; but why start initially in 5th? I know some cars start in 2nd (the automatics) but I thought that was to stop the car from skidding or something like that due to harsh acceleration.

pottsy44

HSC
also if you drive in a gear that is too high for your speed it can be worse fuel consumption then having the car in a suitable gear

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
but out of interest, why would anyone start their car in 5th gear
I'm not sure if I understand you seremify, but macoboi was referring to a rolling start. They were already travelling at a given speed.

macoboi

HSC
^ yup, rolling start at 30mph from memory ( about 50km/hr)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)