Any good relateds for belonging to both people AND place? (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Matilda (film and novel). Personally, I think there's a lot more substance in the film to talk about, but to answer your question, in Matilda, the main character (Matilda), has a sense of affinity with the people and place of the school, but NOT the home. At school, her teacher (miss honey) and her friends make her feel welcome and happy, but at home, she is treated with disrepect. Furthermore, she is told behind her back that "You know, sometimes I think there's something wrong with that girl."

BTW, don't forget to look out for lighting and the soundtrack choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMy6821udW8

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
There's a film called Ironweed by hector babenco

It's about a man who chooses to become a hobo after accidentally dropping and killing his 2(?) year old son.
It's basically looks at his life as a hobo and his relation with another hobo who has terminally ill (i think cancer)

Jazilue

HSC
A GOOD SONG TO USE...
'Nobody's Home' by Avril Lavigne.
This song is more than just a pop song...and it's certainly no 'Sk8er Boi'

- The song tells the story of a girl who perhaps once belongs, but now doesn't (don't know where she belongs)
- Told from 3rd person perspective (I couldn't help her...I just watched her). Somebody DID know of her and her story, but they gave up on her; regretful tone. Sometimes it only take one person to help you or push you over the edge. Maybe if the narrator did help her...
- She didn't belong simply because she was 'different'; she wasn't bad, just different, and was consequently outcast (you've been rejected)
- BELONGING TO PLACE DOESN'T EXIST (she tried to go home but nobodys home -title-) She doesnt belong to a particular place in society. She's "broken inside" maybe a metaphor for a 'broken home'?
- CONSEQUENCES OF NOT BELONGING/REJECTION: Shes falling behind/losing her faith/all over the place/falling from grace - no sense of belong to place/people can have serious, negative impacts on individuals...
- Narrator asks girl to find the reasons why -- is there really a reason? should she really blame herself for not belonging? is society to blame; their expectations of what is 'normal'?
- She is an individual, with dreams and hopes, but because shes rejected, she cannot achieve those dreams -- doubts her self, ability, existence, self-worth

There's many more issues of belonging to be found here. Belonging is a personal thing -- we've all had times when we didn't belong for whatever reason; think of those experiences, use them. This is a very good song to use. It's modern, it's personal, and its not 'clear-cut'. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Oh, and I almost forgot, whenever you use a song, you really should discuss the musical elements (what/how many instruments are played at one time? happy or sad melody? does the music correspond to particular lyrics to emphasise meaning? how does the music end -- happy or sad?)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)