• Piano

Votes: 43 26.1%
  • Other...

Votes: 38 23.0%

• Total voters

iwannarock

HSC
SoCal said:
While I am here, I may as well ask a question. Is it just me or is this chord impossible to play:

-5-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-7-
-5-

:eek:
QUOTE]

yeah barre chords are hard when you're starting out. if it makes you feel any better, jimi hendrix cudnt do them

yes technically he could, but not in the traditional sense. he played the A on the low E string with his thumb and the rest without barring at all.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
iwannarock said:
yeah barre chords are hard when you're starting out. if it makes you feel any better, jimi hendrix cudnt do them

yes technically he could, but not in the traditional sense. he played the A on the low E string with his thumb and the rest without barring at all.
Haha, I have no chance then:(.

Ilija

Swinger
HSC
I Play Guitar and Bass, Played about for a year and a half on each. I play Bass for band now so its good fun.

PS. We are looking for a vocalist... So if anyone could help we are situated in the Wollongong Area

flyin_high

HSC
N/A
ToO LaZy ^* said:
ive completed 8th grade piano
still thinking whether i should go for another year so i can teach it :eek:
You must be very experienced! im only in grade 5...i was wondering if you know any sites that would have lots os music scores: contemporary/classical
thank you

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I would love to learn piano... Where should I start?

Ask your ex-school's Head of Music about piano teachers - whether any teach at the school, who's good, etc. Alternatively, look up "piano teachers" in the phone book, as many teach independently. If you have a piano in your house, that's a big help too. Then go to one of the teachers and ask then about starting. That should be all you need to do. Then it's learning and practise.

flyin_high said:
You must be very experienced! im only in grade 5...i was wondering if you know any sites that would have lots os music scores: contemporary/classical
thank you
Most sites only give you 2 or 3 for free, then they want to start charging you. However, a decent one is the Sheet Music Archive. It has a max of 2 downloads a day and a fairly good selection of classical pieces. Trying Googling for others. :)

I_F

Last edited:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
so so so so many drum players and pianists...wow its scary LOL. we dont get much diversity in these forums do we?

i happen to play the euphonium. yeah, thats right. that thing people think as a 'mini-tuba', or people DO think it a tuba. its a great instrument. it is hard to play, BUT when you play it well, it is heaven.

when i was first introduced to playing an instrument, and going to organise a band at my primary school, my heart was on the french horn. unfortunately, the school didnt have any french horns, so it just so happens that the closest instrument was the E flat horn. Then, I progressed onto the baritone, then the euphonium once I began high school, and really did never look back.

yeah, i got 5th grade. meh. cant complete with all u 7th graders and 8th graders and AMuses...if i got the time i would go to 7th.

have done a little bit of piano, but nothing grand...not even a grade either lol.

oh well, thats my 2 cents for "upping" this long forgotten thread...my apologies. this is a democracy u know...

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
so so so so many drum players and pianists...wow its scary LOL. we dont get much diversity in these forums do we?

i happen to play the euphonium. yeah, thats right. that thing people think as a 'mini-tuba', or people DO think it a tuba. its a great instrument. it is hard to play, BUT when you play it well, it is heaven.

when i was first introduced to playing an instrument, and going to organise a band at my primary school, my heart was on the french horn. unfortunately, the school didnt have any french horns, so it just so happens that the closest instrument was the E flat horn. Then, I progressed onto the baritone, then the euphonium once I began high school, and really did never look back.

yeah, i got 5th grade. meh. cant complete with all u 7th graders and 8th graders and AMuses...if i got the time i would go to 7th.

have done a little bit of piano, but nothing grand...not even a grade either lol.

oh well, thats my 2 cents for "upping" this long forgotten thread...my apologies. this is a democracy u know...

a little diversity at last *sighs* i play e flat horn, go the brass! do u play in a brass band? Competing etc? I've done grade 5 too but can't really be bothered to have done more.. maybe later

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
allthatglitters said:
a little diversity at last *sighs* i play e flat horn, go the brass! do u play in a brass band? Competing etc? I've done grade 5 too but can't really be bothered to have done more.. maybe later
ive only finished high school, so ive only done school concert band and marching band, and theres the odd brass ensemble as well. (pretty much just the brass section of the concert band).

i am thinking of joining a marching band, that is, if i have the time, at uni. perhaps uni has some marching bands...

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Used to play recorder and keyboard.
Want to play guitar and drum, but couldn't get around it.
Still learn to play piano now.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I used to play the flute, but stopped when it got stolen. I'm actually not bad at the drums, and I always play them at school or when I'm over at a friends place, but mum refuses to have me bashing away at a drum kit in "her house". I've always really wanted to play the guitar, and have started playing a few things, but my fingers are pretty short (and inflexible lol) and I can hardly seem to reach some of the chords. Does it just take practice and practice and more practice to kind of "stretch" them?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Sam. said:
Does it just take practice and practice and more practice to kind of "stretch" them?
Yup practice.
I can have 1st finger on 1st fret and pinkie on the sixth fret comfortably, after that I start to strain.

Just practicepracticepracticepractice

I want a cheap drumkit to smash the hell out of in my spare time :D

Sam.

bored.
HSC
mr_brightside said:
I want a cheap drumkit to smash the hell out of in my spare time
Oh how I dream. At the moment I have to stick with my pots and pans while no one's home . . .

mr_brightside

HSC
Sam. said:
Oh how I dream. At the moment I have to stick with my pots and pans while no one's home . . .
I get a go of a kit every so often. Friends brothers.

I reckon id be able to get one :p

*plays loud guitar*

hehehe noone cares.

iwannarock

HSC
mr_brightside said:
Yup practice.
I can have 1st finger on 1st fret and pinkie on the sixth fret comfortably, after that I start to strain.

Just practicepracticepracticepractice

I want a cheap drumkit to smash the hell out of in my spare time :D
1st fret to 6th fret comfortably. yeah maybe on the 1st string. try it on the 6th string low E.

dont make me break out my e-guitar skills

widdly widdly middly meowwwwwwwwww.....wooooowaaaaaaaaaaah widlly widly widly midly midly midly widle de dee widdle de waaaaah widdle de deeee waaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa *begins rubbing guitar against amplifier in a sexual manner*

whiteeagle

HSC
I was sent to keyboard lessons when I was 10, had played for a few years but hated it. Later, I did the drums with a bunch of guys. We noted beats from rock and jazz to practice. I owned a black Yamaha at home (2nd hand). Sometimes, we gathered with guitar students to play as a band. Friends, music & alcohol, it was a great time in my life.

whiteeagle

HSC
Sam. said:
You can nail a thin layer of rubber on a flat wooden board (about 3-5cm thick) to make a snaredrum. It worked well for me in the area of speed & flexibility :). Most of all, it didn't make too much noise so your mum won't be bothered.

Personally, I like to stick a piece of felt on my bassdrum. It does reduce loudness and also produce a more sophisticated sound. (well, that's what I think)

Last edited:

mr_brightside

HSC
iwannarock said:
1st fret to 6th fret comfortably. yeah maybe on the 1st string. try it on the 6th string low E.
i was talking about the sixth string low e :p

HSC
Sam. said:

before i even had a kit, i already had a pair of 7As and a practice pad, hehe.

have a look around eBay, my friend got a kit which was cheaper than mine (i havent had a look at his yet) but he seems pretty happy with it, and he got it at a good price too.

emmahickson

HSC
i am now in yr 11.i started playing the flute in yr 2 cause it was there and we had a school band then in yr 6 i taught myself 2 play the alto saxaphone.then came high school and i found that i was the only wind instrument player so i taught myself 2 play the guitar and piano so i would fit in.but that got really really boring so i started playin the clarinet .And my mum bought me a tin whistle its sooooooooooo much fun.she also bought me a japanese flute but i cant find ne music 2 play on it.does ne 1 know where 2 find sum???????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)