Any point aiming for ATAR you don't need? (1 Viewer)

swagmeister

HSC
I know this seems like a bit of a silly question, but for the course I want to get into I only need 90 - and thats bumped up 3 points from 2013 and I will very likely get 5 bonus points. Based on my prelim results I think if I pushed myself I could get like 97+ but I am trying to think of reasons why I would want to aim that high - other then scholarships because I'm not a permanent resident or citizen and because of that I'm not eligible for any ATAR-based scholarships at the uni I want to go to. The main reason I'm considering it would be to show myself that I can be disciplined and throw myself into my very big goals in life and achieve them and also so I can make money tutoring people once I finish school.

So, if you have the capability, is there any point aiming for ATAR you don't need?

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
- Satisfaction: You will feel satisfied knowing you tried your hardest
- Bragging rights (temporarily - nobody cares in uni): I got X ATAR and X results in XYZ
- 'Doing everybody proud': You make not only yourself proud, but your peers and teachers/school/community
- Scholarships: based on academic merit (although you said you aren't eligible - this is mainly for others that could be)
- Ability to tutor: excelling in the HSC is arguably necessary to tutor others
- Gifts: I got presents for going well in the HSC!
- General mood surrounding the Christmas period: ATAR/HSC results are released on the 17-18th - this has the ability to affect your mood surrounding Christmas and New Years. Getting your ATAR aim (which could be beyond the ATAR you need) is a genuinely nice Christmas present and has boosted my mood in general (idk if this is applicable to others, but it was for me)
- Ability to sell notes: assuming you excel in your subjects, you can sell your notes - some extra $$$.

As you can see, there are plenty of reasons. However, the HSC/ATAR are not the be all and end all - although during the HSC it seems that way. At the end of the day, you need to find your own reasons to achieve X ATAR - for me it was to beat my siblings (I was very competitive with them) and demonstrate that rural/disadvantaged kids attending a low ranked school can achieve amazing results despite various limiting factors.

Best of luck :)

emilios

HSC
I needed a 97 for my course but aimed for 99+ anyway. You can definitely never be sure enough. I mean I don't mean to scare you but it is very possible to stuff up one exam due to misreading a question, not being in the zone on the day etc. So if youre aiming for your courses cutoff on the dot then all these factors will represent a much more volatile threat and the possibility of not getting into your course arises.

But most imprtantly, I wanted to do something I was proud of. You owe it to yourself to be the best person you can be, and while it is just a number, seeing a great ATAR score after a year of hard work is really satisfying and sets you on the right path in life in terms of forming good study habits and developing a solid work ethic. Who wants to live life being 'just good enough to get in'? Own that shit man, do things with passion and always put your best efforts in

milkytea99

HSC
there's a point. What if you ended up changing your mind in the end and your course is of a higher atar?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Do your best.

One of my mates aimed for a mid 90's ATAR but she only needed ~81 to get into the course she wanted.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
- Satisfaction: You will feel satisfied knowing you tried your hardest
- Bragging rights (temporarily - nobody cares in uni)
: I got X ATAR and X results in XYZ
- 'Doing everybody proud': You make not only yourself proud, but your peers and teachers/school/community
- Scholarships: based on academic merit (although you said you aren't eligible - this is mainly for others that could be)
- Ability to tutor: excelling in the HSC is arguably necessary to tutor others
- Gifts: I got presents for going well in the HSC!
- General mood surrounding the Christmas period: ATAR/HSC results are released on the 17-18th - this has the ability to affect your mood surrounding Christmas and New Years. Getting your ATAR aim (which could be beyond the ATAR you need) is a genuinely nice Christmas present and has boosted my mood in general (idk if this is applicable to others, but it was for me)
- Ability to sell notes: assuming you excel in your subjects, you can sell your notes - some extra $$$.

As you can see, there are plenty of reasons. However, the HSC/ATAR are not the be all and end all - although during the HSC it seems that way. At the end of the day, you need to find your own reasons to achieve X ATAR - for me it was to beat my siblings (I was very competitive with them) and demonstrate that rural/disadvantaged kids attending a low ranked school can achieve amazing results despite various limiting factors.

Best of luck :)
The underlined things, can't do with a 97.80 lol.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Possible scholarships opportunities, course demand may rise, you may change your mind about the course you want to do...

Bearman

HSC
I'd like to add that a lot of universities will take into consideration your ATAR if you decide to transfer to a different course after your first year

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Plus if you dux, then you may be offered money/prestige at your school..

Moist

HSC
I can't comprehend why you wouldn't give it your all. Give it your best shot, and this time next year you can be satisfied knowing that you got the best results that you possibly could. It's one year of your life, may as well try your best.

awesome_carrots

HSC
You should always do your best- why wouldn't you!?! There are so many things that can go wrong in huge HSC- Murphy's Law still applies! You could change your mind about what you want to do, there could (though I wouldn't wish it on anyone) be circumstances beyond your control that affect your performance and all kinds of other things. I didn't stop trying through illness and bereavement and managed to earn 99+ - EVERYONE was surprised I was able to get that through everything that happened and even then they didn't know half the story. TRY! Surprise yourself and maybe get a few rewards for it later :D

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Students applying for an internship or graduate role are sometimes asked to provide their ATAR. Random I know, but I have a feeling that they use it to see how you transitioned to uni.

Not 100% sure though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)