any point to studying hard in year11? (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, I hate that mentality. i.e. "I'm not going to study in year 11 however I will in year 12." Year 12 comes, you end up doing nothing. If you study hard for two years, it dictates your future substantially. Two years or the rest of your life, up to you. Teachers are quite right, with their constant reinforcement of "knowledge is power, money is choices."

-End of rant.

Last edited:

steph xx

HSC
i don't see how the tail-end of that sentence is at all confusing.

if you are really determined to do well, then by all means look over your notes IF you WANT to. not because you must.

there is no point studying hard, i do think there is a point in studying effectively, however.

not that i have studied at all so far. i would rather spend my weekends with friends and at parties, not locked away in my room revising economics.

the amount of essays and assessments alone have put a big enough dent in my free time, especially afternoons and i don't want to protrude on my weekends, when it isn't necessary.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
you do need to study hard. you need to figure out the subjects with which you're good at and the ones you're crap at, in order to decide what do drop.
in addition, you should experiment with various study techniques to see which works for you.

so study hard. and besides, if you don't work hard now, how is it that you're going to work hard in year 12?

steph xx

HSC
why over-work ourselves? year eleven doesn't have much point as it isn't factored into the HSC exams (with the exception of maths) and it is pointless studying for the sake of studying.

Rage_Quitter

HSC
Now that I think about..

Yes, there is COMPLETELY no point in Year 11. I'm serious. It's actually a waste of time to even be at school. Either the school is too slow at times or it just immediately changes and becomes extremely fast.

mioumiou

HSC
you do need to study hard. you need to figure out the subjects with which you're good at and the ones you're crap at, in order to decide what do drop.
in addition, you should experiment with various study techniques to see which works for you.

so study hard. and besides, if you don't work hard now, how is it that you're going to work hard in year 12?
+1 :uhhuh:

But not tooooooooo hard. like 8 hours a day (I'm exaggerating this :lol:) I reckon max of 2 or 3 hours for hw and revising for each day is enough for year 11 (or maybe less???)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
But not tooooooooo hard. like 8 hours a day (I'm exaggerating this :lol:) I reckon max of 2 or 3 hours for hw and revising for each day is enough for year 11 (or maybe less???)
1-2 is enough, 3-4 is too much.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Yeah the people who say that year 11 doesn't really matter are, 'halfway' correct. Most of the things you learn in yr 11 are not tested in year 12. If im not mistaken, none of the english and humanities content goes into year 12. Only a handful of equations and techniques in the sciences are essential for year 12. 30% of your HSC test in maths is prelim work. I didn't do any languages, but Im certain that prelim work is essential for year 12.

I say the above because, from my personal experience, the actual content of the preliminary course doesn't have a massive bearing on your year 12 final result. I did only the bare minimum to pass in year 11 and only began to earnestly learn the content by year 12. I got a result which is moderately good for my standard (atar=95)

What does get carried over are the skills and habits you develop in year 11. You need to learn to listen well, know how to take notes, the proper techniques for answering exam questions, how to highlight and summarise vast passages and develop a routine. You also need to develop your ability to cope with time micromanagement, exam anxiety, distractions and procrastination.

To gain these skills you're going to fail many times and make heaps of mistakes. Thats why you need to try, and you need to care about year 11, because you want to make these mistakes early on when they don't have disastrous consequences, and you want to carry those lessons learned into year 12 from the very beginning of that year.

Oh, and one more thing. If you've set your sights on a particular subject at uni, then you really should study in year 11 for the subjects that are relevant to that degree. Neglecting year 11 content might not hugely affect your HSC marks, but- and i'm rather stating the obvious here- it will affect your knowledge of the subject.

Last edited:

mioumiou

HSC
Yeah the people who say that year 11 doesn't really matter are, 'halfway' correct. Most of the things you learn in yr 11 are not tested in year 12. If im not mistaken, none of the english and humanities content goes into year 12. Only a handful of equations and techniques in the sciences are essential for year 12. 30% of your HSC test in maths is prelim work. I stand by this statement because of my experiences- in year 11 I learned only the bare minimum to pass and only began picking up my pace in year 12. I did moderately well by my own standards (atar=95) with this shoddy year 11 knowledge base.

What does get carried over are the skills and habits you develop in year 11. You need to learn to listen well, know how to take notes, the proper techniques for answering exam questions, how to highlight and summarise vast passages and develop a routine. You also need to develop your ability to cope with time micromanagement, exam anxiety, distractions and procrastination.

To gain these skills you're going to fail many times and make heaps of mistakes. Thats why you need to try, and you need to care about year 11, because you want to make these mistakes early on when they don't have disastrous consequences, and you want to carry those lessons learned into year 12 from the very beginning of that year.
+1 :uhhuh:

johNNyboy772

HSC
Yeah my tutor goes not much point because pretty much all subjects have completely different topics from yr 11 to year 12 (except maths, where year 12 builds on year 11)

therefore only subjects like maths deserve effort in year 11, else you'll have a sht foundation for year 12

all other subjects - psshhh

Rodger Gu

HSC
I'm pretty sure there is a point to studying hard in year 11, here is what I think

-Your just procrastinating by year 12 your work routine will be MUCH MUCH more stressful than year 11. Adjusting to such a rapid change in such a short time will be very hard. And you have to adjust or else your ATAR will take a hit.

-Use year 11 as a "test" for yourself, set yourself the same goals you want if year 12 and see if you can reach them( I.E average of 90+ in all assignments and tests). If you reach your goals kudos to you and keep going. If you don't then you have some serious studying to do.

Just ask yourself this, will studying harder now benefit your ATAR??

Last edited:

OK456

HSC
In my opinion, just for establishing good study habits and becoming familiar with the course and style of exam questions.
It doesn't have a direct impact on your performance in Yr 12.

mioumiou

HSC
In my opinion, just for establishing good study habits and becoming familiar with the course and style of exam questions.
It doesn't have a direct impact on your performance in Yr 12.
Well, IMO, I think Year 11 is sort of a practice year for Year 12. So that's another good idea that you just pointed out, getting used to the exam styles question. :uhhuh:

HSC
Uni Grad
I think that yes, there is a point of studying hard in year 11. However, studying like more than 4 hours a day is too much. At the moment, all you people should be doing is just to cope with the gap between year 10-11 and 12. Basically you have to set a foundation for year 11, and the preliminary is like a warm-up before the HSC.

Particular subjects that you must work on before advancing are Mathematics (all courses), English (work on the essay writing and other stuff that you need to work on, and also because it's the only subject that counts for everyone), Physics, Chemistry and another few subjects...

So far I've been studying around an average of 2-3 hours a day, most of which is maths work, since I wanna do 4U maths. Apparently I need to be top 20 at my school to even be considered for 4U :/

Otherwise take your time to think through these three terms right before term 4, where is all starts to count.

And on a last note; study efficiently too; not much point to keep studying on a subject ure really good at yet you're failing at other subjects..

ilikebeeef

HSC
Yeah my tutor goes not much point because pretty much all subjects have completely different topics from yr 11 to year 12 (except maths, where year 12 builds on year 11)

therefore only subjects like maths deserve effort in year 11, else you'll have a sht foundation for year 12

all other subjects - psshhh
-1. HSC Sciences require Prelims foundation. If you fail at Prelims Science, you wouldn't know what the hell's going on in HSC Science.

the preliminary is like a warm-up before the HSC.
Lol, to me, it's more like a "weak sample".

Particular subjects that you must work on before advancing are Mathematics (all courses), English (work on the essay writing and other stuff that you need to work on, and also because it's the only subject that counts for everyone), Physics, Chemistry and another few subjects...
And other subjects too (which you would like to do in Year 12), not just sciences, English and maths.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
-1. HSC Sciences require Prelims foundation.
Not really, I didnt pay attention throughout prelim in Physics or Chemistry, doesnt really bother me now tho, I still know whats required in the HSC course.

Plus Chem/Phys is so boring in prelim, its hard to stay focused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)