Any real-world 'smart' people feel really inferior on BOS? (1 Viewer)

ag6858

HSC
Uni Grad
At my school, I'm considered relatively smart and hardworking, in the 70th-80th percentile at a top 150 school. However, whenever I go on here I feel like such a dumb shit reading page after page of 95+ ATAR prediction, making my mid-80s prediction seem really pathetic. I'm not hugey fussed as I only need 75 for my course but I was wondering if any others feel the same, going from big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a big pond

LizzyGrant

HSC
BoS is the cream of the crop (excl Ruse), everyone here has high expectations whether or not they achieve them. Don't let it get you down because there are a lot of us here that didn't perform as well as we thought we would (ego's bigger than our heads).

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought I was pretty average tbh. My atar was far better than expected. Sole reason why I didnt apply for BAcc. Was thinking high 80s.

You can say all this stuff about feeling dumb. But once you get to uni, the only dumb ones are those who ask for your atar

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
I thought I was pretty average tbh. My atar was far better than expected. Sole reason why I didnt apply for BAcc. Was thinking high 80s.

You can say all this stuff about feeling dumb. But once you get to uni, the only dumb ones are those who ask for your atar
this

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
ATAR isn't a measure of smartness, mainly the amount of effort you put in.

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
Just because somebody has/expects a high ATAR doesn't mean they're smart. A lot of people that get 'high' atars are actually not that socially intelligent/real life intelligent. And, as people have pointed out, a lot of them have to be spoon fed information due to them having tutors, etc.

I go to a rural school and teach myself. There's nothing wrong with aiming high :)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Just because somebody has/expects a high ATAR doesn't mean they're smart. A lot of people that get 'high' atars are actually not that socially intelligent/real life intelligent. And, as people have pointed out, a lot of them have to be spoon fed information due to them having tutors, etc.

I go to a rural school and teach myself. There's nothing wrong with aiming high :)
^ This guy's really very intelligent :)))))

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
True. My brother is the smartest person I know (and I've met people from Ruse, North Sydney etc), and he received an ATAR of 45 only because couldn't give 2 fucks about anything. In saying that, he was very passionate about woodwork, and he would work on his major every chance he got to perfect it. The end result was that he won an award, and he received band 6. Goes to show that its only really about the effort you put in, and not how smart you are.

At the end of the day, an ATAR is a rank. It shows you where you are amongst everyone else. It is not a measure of intelligence. After you recieve an offer for uni, ATAR won't matter. Also, you could still get a shitty ATAR and make your way to the course you want. My mate, received a 52, completed one year of B/Sci, and has now transferred to Law/Arts. He put minimal effort in HSC, and he still got to where he wanted. It doesn't really matter. Don't waste your time reading those "99.95 only, will be so disappointed if I got 99.90" threads because BOS has sadly been transformed into a tafe-hating, ATAR below 95 shaming, negative environment, and make people feel less smart than what they actually are.

photastic

HSC
The atar is about luck. If you luckily have easy markers you get easy marks, hence easy atar.

QZP

HSC
Rebuttal for the sake of discussion: My friend cared very little for the HSC (played games all throughout year 12 and worked a job) and ended up with an ATAR in the 95's (note: he was never tutored being white lol).

And honestly I think I could pull off the same. The effort of me reaching 95 could be a fraction of what it takes someone to reach 85 due to natural aptitude (not being cocky). And you see this type of thing all the time. How many of you have a friend that tries really hard but fails to get any results? There are so many people whose work ethics I admire but I am still leagues ahead of them

Last edited:

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Rebuttal for the sake of discussion: My friend cared very little for the HSC (played games all throughout year 12 and worked a job) and ended up with an ATAR in the 95's (note: he was never tutored being white lol).

And honestly I think I could pull off the same. The effort of me reaching 95 could be a fraction of what it takes someone to reach 85 due to natural aptitude (not being cocky). And you see this type of thing all the time. How many of you have a friend that tries really hard but fails to get any results? There are so many people whose work ethics I admire but I am still leagues ahead of them
You're right. I have a friend like you. However, people like my friend, and you are considered apart of the 0.5% (maybe even lower) of the HSC population that are "naturally smart". And you hardly find people like that (in my 17 years of life I have met only 2 people who are naturally smart). So, for the remainder of the 99.95%, we have to put in the effort because its the only way we can reach ATAR's well above the 90's. That's why we generalise and say "HSC is all about the effort".

I envy you btw. Good luck in your HSC!

LizzyGrant

HSC

<<<LOOL :(

Reactions: QZP
HSC
True. My brother is the smartest person I know (and I've met people from Ruse, North Sydney etc), and he received an ATAR of 45 only because couldn't give 2 fucks about anything. In saying that, he was very passionate about woodwork, and he would work on his major every chance he got to perfect it. The end result was that he won an award, and he received band 6. Goes to show that its only really about the effort you put in, and not how smart you are.

At the end of the day, an ATAR is a rank. It shows you where you are amongst everyone else. It is not a measure of intelligence. After you recieve an offer for uni, ATAR won't matter. Also, you could still get a shitty ATAR and make your way to the course you want. My mate, received a 52, completed one year of B/Sci, and has now transferred to Law/Arts. He put minimal effort in HSC, and he still got to where he wanted. It doesn't really matter. Don't waste your time reading those "99.95 only, will be so disappointed if I got 99.90" threads because BOS has sadly been transformed into a tafe-hating, ATAR below 95 shaming, negative environment, and make people feel less smart than what they actually are.

Seems like you don't know many people lel

Just an excuse for those who regret not studying in year 12 lel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)