Any rural students on here that have opinion on how they'll go? (1 Viewer)

jessxxxr

HSC
Just saw your sig. How is the B.Historical Inquiry at UNE? I put it as my 2nd preference under B.Ancient at Macquarie. It seems to offer a few 'What is history?' type of courses that seem pretty interesting.
awww ancient history at macquarie is my first preference too hehe :D :D

jordiviv

HSC
I'm rural, and let me tell you the 3 hours of travelling to and from school each day during the hsc year was somewhat inconvenient (especially the early wake ups after long nights studying), however i feel proud of my efforts this year, and am hoping for an atar between 90-95...hoping to get into physiotherapy at newwy uni so with bonus points that will come from 95 to 88-91 :) I crammed for 4 days before Adv. English and all the questions matched my essays perfectly (going through the rubric and past papers to predict questions worked a charm!) so im hoping for a band 6 in that. From marking my 2-unit paper online i ended up with 97/120 which im really happy with...so only hoping the rest of my hsc goes this well :)
best of luck to everyone else also!

twoey

HSC
I'm rural! (Far North Coast)

The lack of resources is a little bit annoying, but my teachers are really dedicated... smaller classes are good too (ranked first in 14 units)!

I'm hoping for 90+ ATAR, but hopefully AAA scholarship and bonus points will make up for a lower score if that happens. Hoping for B5 in Adv English and (high) E3 in Ex 2 maths... I just hope this forum is not an accurate reflection of the 3000+ who do Ex 2.

Hoping to get out of here (rural) next year...

HelenaJean

HSC
I'm rural, and let me tell you the 3 hours of travelling to and from school each day during the hsc year was somewhat inconvenient (especially the early wake ups after long nights studying), however i feel proud of my efforts this year, and am hoping for an atar between 90-95...hoping to get into physiotherapy at newwy uni so with bonus points that will come from 95 to 88-91 :) I crammed for 4 days before Adv. English and all the questions matched my essays perfectly (going through the rubric and past papers to predict questions worked a charm!) so im hoping for a band 6 in that. From marking my 2-unit paper online i ended up with 97/120 which im really happy with...so only hoping the rest of my hsc goes this well :)
best of luck to everyone else also!
holy shit! good on you. 3 hours to school each day? talk about dedication! you deserve that, good luck!

i'm from a town of 600 in a farming community that doesn't value education. My class had 9 students, out of those maybe 3 have picked up a pen. My school is a focus school, mainly from the students' but there are some god-awful teachers there too (there's also excellent one's to be fair).

i honestly have no idea what my ATAR's going to do :/
i'm expecting anywhere between 50 and 65, though this isn't based on anything but my own random guess.
i won't tell you about the standard ATAR achieved here (it's soul crushing) just remember that you aren't defined by your circumstances.
If you're smart and work hard you can do amazing things (it's just harder than for kids that have the best of every resource at their finger tips)

good luck!

Some Uni's will give you an extra 5 points (a boost over 1,800 students) remember

HSC
Hahaha that's better than my school. We only had 4 people who got over 90. And i go to a school 5 minutes away from the CBD for god sake lol.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
Our school is lucky to get 1 a year over 90. Out of a cohort of around 50... This year fingers crossed there will be 2 xD

jordiviv

HSC
holy shit! good on you. 3 hours to school each day? talk about dedication! you deserve that, good luck!
No, no 3 hours in total... the trip is 1.5 hours each way :) and your exactly right, the atar isnt life defining... sure getting a good one would make the next year easier, but theres more than one way to do what you want :)

Awkward_Ninja

HSC
Is Port Macquarie considered rural? I've heard regional and rural tossed around a few times, but i'm not entirely sure which one it is.
At my school, we've got about 40 in year 12, and of those 40, i'm thinking about 10 of those will get an ATAR of 85+

HelenaJean

HSC
No, no 3 hours in total... the trip is 1.5 hours each way :) and your exactly right, the atar isnt life defining... sure getting a good one would make the next year easier, but theres more than one way to do what you want :)
haha opps, that's a little more reasonable but still a fair haul.
i travel about 40 mins a day, any more than that would drive me nuts!

emmiijayne

HSC
In a way i love going to a rural/regional school. There are about 400 at my school, with about 60 in year 12. I think being from an area like this keeps you a little more grounded compared to those on here that are stressing to the max about not getting 100% on an advanced english paper that they wrote 20 pages on and think that they didn't write enough. At my school the emphasis is on doing the absolute best you can, but also making sure we know that if we completely bomb out, it's not the end of the world and that, if you want it enough, there are always ways and means of achieving what you want to (HELLO MATURE AGE STUDENT!).

I'm after an ATAR of around 80, but i think (fingers crossed anyway) that i'll get more than that! In regards to the ADV. English exam, i didn't think it was that bad.. Yeats question nearly killed me, because no one in my class liked the poem, so didn't concentrate on it as much as we should have :/ haha

I think we're lucky at my school that we have so many really amazing teachers. I identify with english, math and PE completely ruling the school, especially PE with us (i swear we have more PE teachers than what we need), but our science faculty is amazing, complete with a german physics teacher, who is honestly the most intelligent man i have met in my life.

All in all, i don't think it makes a difference where your school is (rural/regional or metropolitain). it depends on the student and how determined they are to get to where they want to be :)

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
emmiijayne said:
All in all, i don't think it makes a difference where your school is (rural/regional or metropolitain). it depends on the student and how determined they are to get to where they want to be
Amen to that.

_pizza

HSC
N/A
City schools do have better access to resources, good teachers, etc. Its frustrating at times, but makes rural kids work harder. People at my school consistently get over 90, usually between 5 and 10 each year, and we've even had some 99s going down in the past 5 years. I think it comes down to motivation, but that city kids will generally do better as a demographic.

All in all, i don't think it makes a difference where your school is (rural/regional or metropolitain). it depends on the student and how determined they are to get to where they want to be :)
Yep, that sums it up nicely, I agree 100%.

Last edited:
E

Effekt

I live in a shitty town 4 hours from Sydney, there is one posh school here ranked #80 but my parents didn't want to pay $20,000 a year for that. I go to a crappy public school where there is countless idiots who don't care about their marks i will be happy with 70+. My English teacher was an old moron he was as stupid as they come, couldn't even spell correctly so i ended up teaching myself half the course.

sheepi

HSC
rural is better and worse. city schools do have access to expert tutoring HSC concentrated study things. a couple of my friends made the trip to sydney just before trials to go to TSFX ones (at thier own cost) which i personally thought was a waste of money cause between past papers, excell books, 2010 HSC summarys and our teachers extra classes there is plenty resources

I go to boarding school and its the best school academically for 100km radius (out of 6 high schools) so i don't no if i represent rural every well but i have some excellent teachers and that make the difference, a couple have made the 7 hour trip to sydney to do HSC marking once. my bio teacher is great and last year got 12/35 band 6 as well as many other band 5. AND in 2009 state ranked 1st in biology!!!

its not the location of your school its the quality of teachers - who set the pace for your cohort and your personal work stamina which ultimately creates your own success. ive tried this year and really want to get 90s which cause of my private school i am fortunate that it is achievable still its on my own back.

PS i think all those over tutored sydney kids are just lazy - rope learning doesn't happen at uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)