Any specific advice for how to do well in a subject you are self-taught? (1 Viewer)

Mathislife

HSC
I know this sounds like a pretty stupid question but I do want to see if I'm missing out on something helpful considering I have to teach myself 4 out of 10 units in physics and modern history. This of course, is the result of atrocious teaching (mainly for physics) and while I'm pretty confident about history since I find it to be pretty easy, I can't say as much for physics. Any ideas on how to do well while being self-taught in these subjects besides the obvious such as read textbooks, do questions and get a tutor?

astroman

HSC
Physics can be self taught but you will need to do practicals to understand them. I'd suggest you read your textbooks and get a good set of notes and commit the theory to memory. Also ensure you can do the math and do past papers regularly. Get a tutor if you don't understand concepts or are struggling.

Flop21

HSC
See the syllabus? That is what you need to know. There are your goals.

Cover every single dot point. Read a textbook + watch a video + do questions. Don't see the need for a tutor.

Mathislife

HSC
Thanks guys but this is all general knowledge I already know. I'm looking for something more specific.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you hand in practice questions, do you think you get adequate feedback on how to answer them?

Flop21

HSC
I don't know how more specific to get? It's not too difficult. I suppose it's because I didn't do those subjects, so maybe someone else can help you out here.

But I'm a bit worried that your teachers are so shit you have to self-teach yourself. You really should get one of your parents to ring up (schools tend to listen and respect a parent's voice more...) and complain to the head teacher or/and a higher up.

Oh and also, google "state ranking physics hsc notes" and try and find a good set of notes for both your subjects, they'll be your bible. I say state ranking because you know they're going to be good.

Simplice

rainbow burrito
HSC
I did bio in year 11...my teacher was utter shit. We banded a group of students together to complain, but the principal didn't really care. So I dropped it. It really depends on what kind of person you are. If you can manage to stay self-motivated, then yeah talk to state rankers, copy their study strategies and buy their long/short responses (this is prob most important), read textbooks, teach someone worse than you. But for physics, I really recommend tutoring. It only gets harder. Even people who are topping in my school go tutoring and they have decent teachers. For modern, self studying is alright. Just make sure you fully understand how to write a high-A/full mark essay and analyse sources.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd see if you can find someone who would be willing to mark practice questions for physics for you...

Yeungster

HSC
I know this sounds like a pretty stupid question but I do want to see if I'm missing out on something helpful considering I have to teach myself 4 out of 10 units in physics and modern history. This of course, is the result of atrocious teaching (mainly for physics) and while I'm pretty confident about history since I find it to be pretty easy, I can't say as much for physics. Any ideas on how to do well while being self-taught in these subjects besides the obvious such as read textbooks, do questions and get a tutor?
Well, i pretty much self taught myself chemistry and physics by taking advantage of the holidays (esp the time during december to january) to get ahead in topics. I used a combination of the ahmed shah notes (on bos), Dotpoint Chemistry for Chem and Dotpoint phys and physics in focus for phys. Add in the internet for clarifications and past papers and pree much how i got through without any tutoring. :thrust:

Mathislife

HSC
Don't remember asking for any of these. Btw, I've seen state-rankers who sold their things for a better price than that.

Mathislife

HSC
I did bio in year 11...my teacher was utter shit. We banded a group of students together to complain, but the principal didn't really care. So I dropped it. It really depends on what kind of person you are. If you can manage to stay self-motivated, then yeah talk to state rankers, copy their study strategies and buy their long/short responses (this is prob most important), read textbooks, teach someone worse than you. But for physics, I really recommend tutoring. It only gets harder. Even people who are topping in my school go tutoring and they have decent teachers. For modern, self studying is alright. Just make sure you fully understand how to write a high-A/full mark essay and analyse sources.
Thanks. I should've mentioned it earlier but my dad researches and teaches in the area of statistics and he can do physics pretty well when he remembers the content (he always insists on reading the entire chapter but in the end I get an answer for what I ask). Of course, I assume a tutor would be able to do better due to knowing the content much better but so far I've been coming first in physics with just the help of my dad (although I'm only in a slightly above state-average cohort) and I've been coping with the content relatively well. Would you say this eliminates the need for a tutor?

Simplice

rainbow burrito
HSC
Thanks. I should've mentioned it earlier but my dad researches and teaches in the area of statistics and he can do physics pretty well when he remembers the content (he always insists on reading the entire chapter but in the end I get an answer for what I ask). Of course, I assume a tutor would be able to do better due to knowing the content much better but so far I've been coming first in physics with just the help of my dad (although I'm only in a slightly above state-average cohort) and I've been coping with the content relatively well. Would you say this eliminates the need for a tutor?
If you feel like you have a handle on things and can maintain that drive, then yes, a tutor wouldn't be much help. Just remember that although your dad may be amazing at physics, it doesn't necessarily correlate to being amazing at HSC physics (let alone teaching). HSC physics requires a whole different approach, where the student will have to know the ins and outs and tricks of the exam paper as well as understanding how to fulfill all the criteria of short response/long response questions. The thing about HSC science is not how much you know, but rather, how you can apply that knowledge to the syllabus and the exam. So just be aware that you should be constantly trying to perfect your exam technique in addition to your content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)