Anyone choose a course for the prestige/graduate salary and regret it? (1 Viewer)

sabira001

HSC
I know of people who want to study medicine or law just for the money or social status, while they personally wouldn't prefer to enter that field. Does anyone have thoughts on choosing uni courses in this way? Would the courses be wasted on people who have no real passion for it?

s1mplykat

HSC
people may enter fields such as medicine or law, due other reasons other than actually having a 'passion' for that line of work, but eventually in uni, they'll find out what they really want to do and maybe transfer into that course. it is possible that they might even end up loving med or law... so... i think it depends really.

sabira001

HSC
True, but as far as I know, those two courses are the two of the most sought after. By people who can get in, of course. And then some of the people who do end up studying it aren't really suited.

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
You'll regret becoming a doctor or lawyer for the money less than you'll regret becoming something low paying because you liked it ;)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If I made a list of everything I wanted to do what I am doing wouldn't be at the top.

I would really like to be an assassin/hitman. My next choice would be to work for one of the better law enforcement agencies... FBI, CIA, Mossad etc. Unfortunately I don't fancy my chances of getting into the hitman business and those other guys don't pay well enough. My next choice would be private investigator but there are some issues with that too.

I chose what I am doing now because it is the highest realistic thing on the list that also pays well. It may not be my most favorite thing but I am certainly not just doing it for the pay, that would be stupid.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
circusmind said:
the real money isn't in law or med, dude.
A lot of idiots think that it is, i know better :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
sabira001 said:
I Does anyone have thoughts on choosing uni courses in this way?
Why spend years studing something you don't like? If you don't want to be a doctor and don't like the area of study how will you put yourself through learning about infections, diseases and the like, seeing sick people and having to diangose and treat them? We're not talking about treating the common cold or looking down people's throats, there's so much more they have to do, they should have at least some interest to carry them through.
sabira001 said:
Would the courses be wasted on people who have no real passion for it?
Obviously?

circusmind

HSC
velox said:
Corporate lawyers - Millions of pounds in the UK
American Doctors, they will reach 600-700k easy.

How many Australian law grads become multi-millionaire UK corporate lawyers?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Jesus Christ, do you really need millions of dollars a year when work is all you fucking think of?
Sure things are nice to have but whats the point of them if you work a 70 hour week?

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
vodkacrumble said:
well no-one does nursing for the money or the prestige.

i do it because i love it.
Good on you. I think it's terribly important!

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
circusmind said:
How many Australian law grads become multi-millionaire UK corporate lawyers?
Quite a few. That was an example. Corporate lawyers earn 500k + here. At my friends firm, they charged a client $5000 for 9 hours work!

circusmind

HSC
mr_brightside said:
Jesus Christ, do you really need millions of dollars a year when work is all you fucking think of?
Sure things are nice to have but whats the point of them if you work a 70 hour week?
win.

rozymisty

HSC
Well i did 3 yrs , tecnically 2.5 yrs of primary education, thinking id love it since i love kindy kids and playing with them etc.

But we didnt have enough practical and so dropped out coz i dindt like it.

So now i wasted 3 yrs of my life doing something i didnt like. People always said well its only 1 more yr to go, why not complete the course. But i was like no, whats the point in paying more HECS and stuff to continue in a course that i didnt want to be kept in! Plus I wouldve had 1.5 yrs to go. so yeah i dindt se the point at all.

I am loving the nursing course and its a great time to get into nursing right now, pay is going up, conditions are kinda getting better....but nursing and other health fields are always going to be short staffed.

like vodkacrumble, i am doing it not for the money but coz i like to help people, and the number of times you get thanked by patients when they leave and stuff, and the old people who tell you that you are doing a great job is just as rewarding.

I did a law and ethics unit last year and I really loved it. I might even go into medical law later in the future if i get sick f the clinical stuff. Certainly not for the money though.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
Really now :rolleyes:
You have to be a senior senior associate to earn that much. Clue - not all corporate lawyers are senior associates or similar.

You do know that partners in Sydney charge, depending on their area of law and their firm, between 450 and 650 an hour (excluding GST). A senior lawyer working on a matter for 9 hours could easily rack up 5k in fees.
It was a a grad with about 4 yrs experience working on that, not a senior lawyer.

Point was, there is money to be made in law and med.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Point was, there is money to be made in law and med.
There's money to be made in lots of things... I know a plumber that rakes in $160,000 /year. Sure he works near 12 hours a day and runs his own business, but if you're going to be earning those sort of amounts in law or medicine I'm sure (most people) will have to work just as hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)