Anyone Do Their Maths Trials Yet? (1 Viewer)

2ndt0m3h

HSC
Just want to know if anyone has completed there trials for maths yet because i know some school do them earlier than others. If so, which paper did you do and did you find it difficult or not?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Yep MX2 today
difficulty was unexpected considering the past papers for my school were relatively easier, but it was the right difficulty for a 4u paper
not feelin too great bc i was working up until the last minute (it took 2h 30min for the past papers so :/) and a lot of my friends came out not in a great place as well lol

and some of the crossovers between concepts were totally unseen and like wtf literally haha

2ndt0m3h

HSC
Lol, well i hope you do well. Would you know if the paper you did was a CSSA or Western Region or some other independant trial exam?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
and some of the crossovers between concepts were totally unseen and like wtf literally haha
You have to prepare for them, as in the final, there's a lot of those types of cross-over questions.

The two geometry questions last year, I could not get out in the exam and said gg. Those were difficult questions, but not exactly related directly to anything in the syllabus.

Oh and Mechonics crushed me.

Still somehow got 88 exam mark (that aligning) :spin: and did well for first sem uni maths :D

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
You have to prepare for them, as in the final, there's a lot of those types of cross-over questions.

The two geometry questions last year, I could not get out in the exam and said gg. Those were difficult questions, but not exactly related directly to anything in the syllabus.

Still somehow got 88 exam mark (that aligning) :spin: and did well for first sem uni maths :D
ughhhhh when we do mechanics im going to legit get destroyed hahaha

Lol, well i hope you do well. Would you know if the paper you did was a CSSA or Western Region or some other independant trial exam?
school written

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
ughhhhh when we do mechanics im going to legit get destroyed hahaha
You will be fine with it. Tbh, trials should be done after you have done all topics so that its the most accurate grading for assessment mark lol.

But Mechanics is not too bad if you do the work for it. I did not do much for it and it wasn't too bad to follow on with past papers (albeit it followed on where I lost a healthy 10 marks in my physics final because I still can't resolve forces on inclined planes properly in terms of the angle and had no clue what to do (probably cost me HD)).

However, with the Mechonics question I had no idea why they spoke about two angles, so I was just confused.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
You will be fine with it. Tbh, trials should be done after you have done all topics so that its the most accurate grading for assessment mark lol.

But Mechanics is not too bad if you do the work for it. I did not do much for it and it wasn't too bad to follow on with past papers (albeit it followed on where I lost a healthy 10 marks in my physics final because I still can't resolve forces on inclined planes properly in terms of the angle and had no clue what to do (probably cost me HD)).

However, with the Mechonics question I had no idea why they spoke about two angles, so I was just confused.
we've done everything BUT mechanics (thank goodness, the only joy i got from doing past papers was skipping mechanics questions haha)

but you have a physics background so mechanics would be conceptually less confuddling to understand than non physics plebians like myself haha it took me a while to get my head around circular motion lol

im actually hoping to hard this year's final hsc q is not mechanics or ill just leave the exam room haha

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
we've done everything BUT mechanics (thank goodness, the only joy i got from doing past papers was skipping mechanics questions haha)

but you have a physics background so mechanics would be conceptually less confuddling to understand than non physics plebians like myself haha it took me a while to get my head around circular motion lol

im actually hoping to hard this year's final hsc q is not mechanics or ill just leave the exam room haha

Lol plebians.

The main thing is to understand how to draw and interpret the diagrams from the information given. I've never been able to find the angles inside the triangles when drawing something on an inclined plane or like mechonics simply because there are too many vectors to draw and I tend to get mixed up which angle is which.

Dw, its just hyped up how difficult it is a lot.

Reason behind the hype is that most schools don't get to it or rush through it (like mine).

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
my 4u was done last last week. if you need any help with any Q's shoot me a PM and I'll try my best to help you :)

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
i did mine this morning. i thought mine was really easy tbh but i guess we'll see when the results come back! a lot of people found it quite difficult, but it was a lot easier than most of the past papers i've done (sydney grammar, independent etc.)

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Yep MX2 today
difficulty was unexpected considering the past papers for my school were relatively easier, but it was the right difficulty for a 4u paper
not feelin too great bc i was working up until the last minute (it took 2h 30min for the past papers so :/) and a lot of my friends came out not in a great place as well lol

Would you be able to post up the crossovers ques when you get them back? :)

Fade1233

HSC
N/A

True. But you could you probably do them at home right? it was probably the surprise than caught u

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
True. But you could you probably do them at home right? it was probably the surprise than caught u
Nup.

I did not look back at them when I got home because of other exams.

I said I would redo the 4U paper before uni but no point in bothering. 4U is still quite different to uni maths at first.

Now doing 10 hours a day for a whole month, I was completely burnt. Same thing happened after first sem uni. Could not bother to do any more questions again for a full month. Most I did was read a bit of maths/phys.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Nup.

I did not look back at them when I got home because of other exams.

I said I would redo the 4U paper before uni but no point in bothering. 4U is still quite different to uni maths at first.

Now doing 10 hours a day for a whole month, I was completely burnt. Same thing happened after first sem uni. Could not bother to do any more questions again for a full month. Most I did was read a bit of maths/phys.
Did the same. Threw away everything of phys chem and eng I has after trials except my own notes for chem and essays for english. Don't need anything else cos personally I have never even opened my school book at home. Didn't do 10 hrs though. But I still attempt to keep going for a few more days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)