Anyone doing MATH1131 who did only 2U Math in High School? (1 Viewer)

Seoul

HSC
Hey guys, I just got my marks back for MATH1131 Semester 1 and failed it :( I was wondering if there was anybody else in the course or anyone who had done the course already -- who had only done 2 Unit HSC Maths.

The assumed knowledge in the course is HSC Extension 1, so I don't have have the knowledge but I have to do it because it's a core subject :(

Tips?

Doomah

HSC
really i feel sorry for people who only did 2u and have to do this subject, becuase too much is assumed knowledge which u dont have. i did ext2 maths which helped me greatly, i cant imagine if i had only done 2u how i could of coped.

i suppose start studying for it now, redo all the tutorials again. attend all lectures, and ask questions to your tutor and consult your lecturer with questions if you need. thats what they are there for

and math1b well is still more of the same thing... so really consder if the course u are in is really for you before it is too late.

btw what mark did you get in 1A and 2U maths?

Last edited:

Vylen

HSC
well.. i did 1131 and only 2U maths in high school.. but before doing 1131, i did the Maths Bridging course provided by the uni.... it was what.. extension 1 maths condensed into a couple months or something... it helped...

but a bit late for that now... i would also suggest to go over the tutorials and the lectures.... there's nothing more that you can do other than properly identify what you don't actually understand...

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i did 3U math in year 11 and 2U in year 12, but i did bridging course in feb last year, which was helpful.

edit: i found the course half easy (alg) and half hard (calc), ended up getting a 56PS.

Last edited:

Seoul

HSC
really i feel sorry for people who only did 2u and have to do this subject, becuase too much is assumed knowledge which u dont have. i did ext2 maths which helped me greatly, i cant imagine if i had only done 2u how i could of coped.

i suppose start studying for it now, redo all the tutorials again. attend all lectures, and ask questions to your tutor and consult your lecturer with questions if you need. thats what they are there for

and math1b well is still more of the same thing... so really consder if the course u are in is really for you before it is too late.

btw what mark did you get in 1A and 2U maths?
For 2U Maths I got 88 and for MATH1A I got 38.....

Doomah

HSC

if you got 88 in 2u maths then you do have a solid foundation in maths and were capable of doing ext1... u probably should of, but that was in the past.

anyway u should be able to pass 1A if u really work at it.......

Uncle

Banned
HSC
lol u beat me in 2unit and yet even tho i did shithouse in ext 1 without bridging course i got over 60 in math1131.

if you got 88 in 2u maths then you do have a solid foundation in maths and were capable of doing ext1... u probably should of, but that was in the past.

pretty much.

_santa

HSC
MATH1011 is available next sem, you might want to check if they will let you do it. Or you might just repeat 1131, but be sure to work extra hard, and well, I know this doesn't sound like a good idea, but if it's too much for you, consider dropping some stuff like hyperbolic functions & parametric/polar curves. Without those you can still get as high as DN.

Best of luck. I know some people failed too coz they only did 2U, so you're not alone...

Seoul

HSC

Yeah I know I should have done Ext 1... but too late for me to regret now :'(

MATH1011 is available next sem, you might want to check if they will let you do it. Or you might just repeat 1131, but be sure to work extra hard, and well, I know this doesn't sound like a good idea, but if it's too much for you, consider dropping some stuff like hyperbolic functions & parametric/polar curves. Without those you can still get as high as DN.

Best of luck. I know some people failed too coz they only did 2U, so you're not alone...
What do you mean by dropping those stuff? And thanks for the good luck :)

@Omie Jay & @Vylen:
88 still didn't help save my life haha... :'(

Vylen

HSC
For posterity (i.e. if any high schoolers come across this later on)..

anyone who's only done 2U maths should really do the bridging course before the commencement of uni... not only does it fill in the knowledge gap from not doing ext1, but since the bridging course is right before uni, it sure is handy to have the information right there fresh in the mind..

i remember sitting through lectures and thinking "oh hey, i understand this thanks to that bridging course, yay!"

_santa

HSC
What do you mean by dropping those stuff? And thanks for the good luck :)
I mean you don't have to fret over them if you don't get it, or if you seem to forget all about them before the exam.

btw, that's what I did...

edit: oh did you use the SSS? (Student Support Scheme)

Last edited:

kooltrainer

HSC
done 2u and doing math1131?
lol good luck..

even sum ext2 students find it hard..

Uncle

Banned
HSC
May we conclude that your precise HSC mark for maths does not have a significant correlation with your MATH1131 mark?

My HSC 2 unit maths mark was lower than the OP's and I passed MATH1131.
I beat former HSC Maths Ext. 2 students in MATH2019.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
For sake of completeness.

I got 97 in 2u math YAY ! :)

weirdly enough my 3u math mark was higher than my 2u.
Jesus you must have got 49 for 3 unit lol...and ye that happens with some people too.

My friend got like 93 in 2 unit and 47 in 3 unit LOL

But my mark was significantly higher for 2 unit as I got 48/50 for 3 unit =(

_santa

HSC
May we conclude that your precise HSC mark for maths does not have a significant correlation with your MATH1131 mark?

My HSC 2 unit maths mark was lower than the OP's and I passed MATH1131.
I beat former HSC Maths Ext. 2 students in MATH2019.
I've heard many teachers & smart people telling you to forget about your HSC upon entering uni, and I agree completely. Still, many like to hang on to that.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
A friend of mine only did 2U and did not do the 3U bridging course. She still owned 1A with a 83 but to be fair shes on co-op.

I did 2U and the 3U bridging course. 1A almost killed me just scraped through with a pass.

So far as i can gather it all about about how much work you put in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)