Anyone doing teaching? (1 Viewer)

rebecca05

HSC
Is anyone esle looking to do PDHPE teaching, but at Wollongong? I also have UWS on my list, its like 7th or 8th. I've heard that the gong is meant to be the best for PDHPE teaching, and if I dont get in there I want to go to CSU Bathurst because its meant to be really good too. My teacher went there and he's a heaps good teacher so it can't be too bad.

And I have to say that I agree with what people are saying about choosing a career in teaching. I think you should only do teaching if it's something you really wanna do because otherwise kids will be stuck with ineffective and unsuccessful teachers and thats not fair on them. We had one teacher in particular at our school like that...he thought he was great, however everyone hated him and his class was either failing or just passing. His class had some really smart people in it but he was crap and many of them were literally just scraping through with marks that were like 52% etc...

UAI=90.15

mysterious_grl8

HSC
i'm thinking of doing the B Arts/ B Education @ UNSW..

at first i was planning on going to USYD but i dont want to be @ uni
for 5 yrs.

SweetSeasons

HSC
Ninew said:
I was thinking of going to ACU but then again the turn off would be that i would have to go past my ex-high school every day. Argh! I just want to get out of that area. But i still might consider it!

hehe a St Pat's boy. My now ex bf went to St Pats

Ninew

HSC
SweetSeasons said:
hehe a St Pat's boy. My now ex bf went to St Pats
Nah not St Pats. I went down the road at Strathfield Girls. So if i did end up going to ACU and went by train, i'd have to walk past my school each time and that would just feel weird! Or i could just take the bus!

Ninew

HSC
mysterious_grl8 said:
i'm thinking of doing the B Arts/ B Education @ UNSW..

at first i was planning on going to USYD but i dont want to be @ uni
for 5 yrs.
I am considering doing that! I hope to do B Arts/ B Education @ UNSW and then do a master of teaching (primary) at USYD. Even though it would take me six years, i would be qualified as both a primary teacher and a secondary teacher. Just hope my plan works! Fingers crossed!

SweetSeasons

HSC
lol soz.. just my mate went 2 st pats n he said the same thing... and i didn't know u where a chick

X

xeuyrawp

cem said:
To take your points one at a time - and I have trouble with replying to separated quotes.

1. If you understand what had happened you would understand my attitude and that of many of my colleagues - the BOS sends out guidelines to programming - with three or four suggested ways of arranging the content - at out school we chose one of these suggestions but the person from the BOS who read our programme insisted that it could only be done using the first suggestion from the BOS guide - that meant that I had to re-write the programme to suit them when I had already written according to BOS guidelines but not to the guidelines of the bureaucrat (not a qualified teacher by the way) who only read the first suggestion. This person also didn't realise that the syllabus content for Stage 5 went over four pages and complained that we had not covered stuff from the last two pages but had included stuff from the first two pages.
I don't see how this is relevant. It's still very unprofessional to bitch about your employer, especially when you represent them. :)

2. If you can employ a teacher for $47,000 to teach why would you pay me over $75,000 to do the same job. Private schools do have to consider the $$$ and so employing younger teachers saves them money. I have been told that if I wanted to go for a Head of Department's job or Deputies I would be considered and even probably get it but I don't want that - I want to be a full time classroom teacher - something at which I believe I am very good and my students agree (25% Band 6 this year!!!). My point is that at my age schools want younger teachers who cost a lot less. If you had read my post you would have noticed that I said that I love teaching IN THE CLASSROOM and I even enjoy most things about my school but I would love to teach in the country but can't get a job there - having applied six times, had six interviews and each time the job has gone to a younger teacher and always male.
Sorry, I don't see how this is relevant -- to separate quotes, you just split up my text, and put [ quote] and [ /quote] on either side (minus the spaces). :)

3. Teachers do shape the future of the nation - we teach young people to think - very anti-fascist actually - well good teachers encourage their students to think, question and argue their points of view - I know I certainly do.
Actually, teaching is a very important part of any ideology. I'm sorry, but saying that teaching is 'anti-facist' is so incorrect... By teaching students to think, you're also teaching them how to think; a very necessary part of any ideological brainwashing, whether it's democratic, facist, communist, you name it.

[/quote]Since finishing my original uni degree I have done a M.Ed and MA in History [/quote]

And here come the credentials. :)

[/quote]how - because we are professional and we take enough pride in our jobs[/quote]

From what you've said, you don't seem professional, and you don't seem to take pride in your work.

May I ask your name, so I can double check your marking at BOS?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
cem said:
What actually happens is that a Master of Teaching graduate starts on the second year pay scale - what you would have been getting that year if you had been teaching the year before instead of doing a Master of Teaching. They are 5 year trained teachers (I had a girlfriend who did an Honours degree when the rest of us did our Dip Ed. so we were teaching for the year while she did her Dip Ed. The following year we were all on the same scale as she was 5 year trained to our 4).

I.e. If both start training 2006 and the 4 year trained teacher starts teaching in 2010 while the Master of Teaching teacher starts teaching in 2011 both will get the same salary in 2011 even though the 4 year trained person has had the extra year of actual classroom experience.

I had a first year out teacher this year who had done the Master of Teaching and he was on the Year 2 of the 13 year scale (about $50,000) but his top rate still comes in after 13 years (unless he is in a promotions position, which I expect him to be in by then - probably my boss!!!).

If you start training in 2006 regardless of whether you do 4 or 5 years of training you will not reach the top of the scale until 2022 (unless you have been promoted by then).
This confuses me slightly...so are you saying someone in a 4 year degree starts out on a lower payroll than one in a 5 year? For example the USYD BA/BEdu is a 5 year degree(not honours) and the same degree at UNSW is 4 years(also not honours). So would their payrolls be different even though there is no Honours or Masters involved as in the examples you cite?

To further this idea..what would happen if you did the BA/BEdu at USYD(5 years) and also gained Honours in that course? Would that start you on a third year (on the scale) salary?

And lastly you say there is a 13 year scale...but that someone starting in '06 will not reach the maximum of that scale till '22 but thats 16 years, so does that mean unless you get a promotion to head teacher, deputy principal or principal that you need 16 years to reach your maximum income threshold?

Gummy_bear

HSC
I said before that i want to do B education/B arts to teach art in high school, but i have decided that im going to do an extra course after that so i can teach another subject aswell, to keep my options open as not many schools seem to look for art teachers these days.

Im thinking either english or drama or something along those lines as i know that i wouldnt be very good at teaching humanities as im not passionate about it, and science i like, and am good at, but i just dont like the course and having to teach physics or biology etc.

Anyway, my question, yes i have a question :p
Does anyone know if i would have to do another 4 year course after i finish my original course, or would it only take 1 year or 2?
Just wondering, thats all and im not too sure where i would look it up.
Anyway, it may not matter, in 17 days ill find out about main offers, and if i dont get any then, i can be assured that ill be teaching early childhood (lower UAI needed)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Gummy_bear said:
I said before that i want to do B education/B arts to teach art in high school, but i have decided that im going to do an extra course after that so i can teach another subject aswell, to keep my options open as not many schools seem to look for art teachers these days.

Im thinking either english or drama or something along those lines as i know that i wouldnt be very good at teaching humanities as im not passionate about it, and science i like, and am good at, but i just dont like the course and having to teach physics or biology etc.

Anyway, my question, yes i have a question :p
Does anyone know if i would have to do another 4 year course after i finish my original course, or would it only take 1 year or 2?
Just wondering, thats all and im not too sure where i would look it up.
Anyway, it may not matter, in 17 days ill find out about main offers, and if i dont get any then, i can be assured that ill be teaching early childhood (lower UAI needed)
https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employment/teachnsw/teacherqual.htm
https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employment/teachnsw/retrain/index.htm
http://www.edsw.usyd.edu.au/future_students/postgraduate/deg_mteach_prereq.shtml#sec
These three links might have some info for you.:)

Also, unless you do a course on Visual Arts(like Visual Arts Education at UNSW or BFA/BEdu etc.) or a double method in it, you usually do two teaching subjects in the BA/BEdu.

Olsen

Hates cold mornings..
HSC
Yep. Im transferring from B Sc to a B Ed(Primary) but im just wracking my brain working out the pros and cons of USyd, UTS and UWS though UTS is favourite even if its half a world away

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
kami said:
This confuses me slightly...so are you saying someone in a 4 year degree starts out on a lower payroll than one in a 5 year? For example the USYD BA/BEdu is a 5 year degree(not honours) and the same degree at UNSW is 4 years(also not honours). So would their payrolls be different even though there is no Honours or Masters involved as in the examples you cite?

To further this idea..what would happen if you did the BA/BEdu at USYD(5 years) and also gained Honours in that course? Would that start you on a third year (on the scale) salary?

And lastly you say there is a 13 year scale...but that someone starting in '06 will not reach the maximum of that scale till '22 but thats 16 years, so does that mean unless you get a promotion to head teacher, deputy principal or principal that you need 16 years to reach your maximum income threshold?
Sorry if it isn't clear -

If a student starts teacher training in 2006 they will finish their four years in 2009 and therefore start on Year 1 of the pay scale in 2010 and reach the top level in 2022 (after 13 years of teaching).

If a student starts teacher training in 2006 and finishes their five years of traingin they will graduate in 2010 and reach level 13 in 2022 (after 12 years of teaching).

If a student takes longer than five years of full time study to complete their qualifications they still only start on Level 2 of the 13 year scale.

Magister

HSC
N/A
Hello cem!

I have been reading some of your posts re plagiarism and teaching, and I concur with your opinions and philosophy about teaching. I thought that Pwar Yuex, whose opinions I usually respect, were a bit harsh in response to one of your posts. I would like to establish contact with you, but I can't seem to access you by private means. It would be great to discuss our experiences as Ancient History teachers and our careers in general. If you would like to, you can contact me through this forum; my details are in my profile. I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Magister

SweetSeasons

HSC
meh i already have it all figured out :p teach in a rural/low demand school for 3 years while saving for a house deposit, then apply for a transfer to a small beach town high school and live there the rest of my life. Sounds good to me

ghostofme

HSC
i'm doing bach. of arts which gives automatic enrty into primary teaching at UWS bankstown campus.....

well assuming i get a letter offering me such a position in 2 weeks time...lol

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
ghostofme said:
i'm doing bach. of arts which gives automatic enrty into primary teaching at UWS bankstown campus.....

well assuming i get a letter offering me such a position in 2 weeks time...lol
I'm hoping i can do it that way to, did you find b/arts a useful way of going about it?

SweetSeasons

HSC
I hate how UWS does teaching... I just want to do teaching subjects now.. not in 3 years.. which is why I'm going to ACU now.. i start teaching pracs in my 2nd year n stuff... it's excelent

Ninew

HSC
SweetSeasons said:
I hate how UWS does teaching... I just want to do teaching subjects now.. not in 3 years.. which is why I'm going to ACU now.. i start teaching pracs in my 2nd year n stuff... it's excelent
Same here! I wish they would just offer the primary education course instead of going through three years in the arts degree. Although i do like some of the minor subjects in the arts degree!

Aimz- Lou.

dani_danoz said:
So...
Anybody else thinking of CSU Bathurst for Primary Teaching?
Yes! Third preference, combined with bachelor of social science in psychology. First preference is primary at CSU Wagga, and second is ACU Canberra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)