Anyone else reckon teachers/parents got it way easier than us? (1 Viewer)

Supaweak

HSC
Been thinking about it a bit lately, I know I'm not doing my HSC now or anything I'm not doing any major stressing but does anyone else think the same? I mean 20 years ago what assignment/assessment task would they of gotten that has similar stress altitudes of a 3 week major group video assignment on information systems (I am not basing this entire thread on just that though theres a whole lot of other shit)

I get the feeling every now and then that kids in this generation get more workload because they did jack all back then and were sitting around dwiddling thumbs.

or I could just be a pointless whining bitch. Oh and sorry about posting this here if it's in the wrong section I don't know where else

Ashabella

HSC
Been thinking about it a bit lately, I know I'm not doing my HSC now or anything I'm not doing any major stressing but does anyone else think the same? I mean 20 years ago what assignment/assessment task would they of gotten that has similar stress altitudes of a 3 week major group video assignment on information systems (I am not basing this entire thread on just that though theres a whole lot of other shit)

I get the feeling every now and then that kids in this generation get more workload because they did jack all back then and were sitting around dwiddling thumbs.

or I could just be a pointless whining bitch. Oh and sorry about posting this here if it's in the wrong section I don't know where else
I think you have a point. School now is supposed to be a lot harder than it was during the time of most of our parents. There is an increased pressure today to enter tertiary education. In order to have a reliable career, it is generally expected that one has undergone further education.

There really is so much more pressure. It's kind of ridiculous really.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
lol

40 years ago subjects actually had 'rigorous' content
not, like, "discuss your feelings about the environment" and that's your physics course

and you had to actually cart your arse down to the library, usually on foot (which would induce heart attacks in the what, > 30% of kids who are obese now) to find info instead of "hurr, me search wikipedia rofl"

not to mention most ppl in those days had more responsibilities at our age compared to us sheltered stay-at-home-studying-til-30 kiddies

0hNivlek

HSC
Lol. My math teacher was like "i would rather have surgery than go through the HSC."

Actually she's on leave right now for some surgery lol.

joben

HSC
lol

not, like, "discuss your feelings about the environment" and that's your physics course

and you had to actually cart your arse down to the library, usually on foot (which would induce heart attacks in the what, > 30% of kids who are obese now) to find info instead of "hurr, me search wikipedia rofl"

not to mention most ppl in those days had more responsibilities at our age compared to us sheltered stay-at-home-studying-til-30 kiddies
This guy said it perfectly. It's even worse if your parents are immigrants - they would have had to have done crappy jobs when they arrived here, all for the sake of their kids getting a quality education.

Ashabella

HSC
lol

haha

Kinds true. I see both sides :)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
lol

I agree with the content of this post.

spence

HSC

Sounds about right

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
We have the internet - a ridiculously vast source of information accessed through a few clicks and keystrokes.

Nuff said.

Supaweak

HSC
Ha thanks for the replies. Curious to hear that people consider work back then was much more rigorous than todays content. But does anyone else get the feeling in the classroom when your teacher hands you an assessment requiring a relatively modern piece of technology (eg an internet research/website building task) that this dumb bitch didn't have to do that back then. I might be entirely wrong but I kinda reckon the inclusion of technology (eg Digital Cameras, Internet etc) has given teachers more incentive to up the workload

Though I am NOT complaining about how easier it is to retrieve information in todays generation

hmm I hope I made sense

samthebear

HSC
theres not much to complain about really - i mean even if we have research tasks, it'd take us less than an hour to find what we need on the internet (unless you get some really obscure topic and have to actually [Oh the horror] go to an actual library to look up the information)

They had research tasks back then too - they just didnt have the internet, which imo, makes things all that much more tedious to research.

Just be thankful you arent studying in an asian education system XDDD that would be a major bitch. internet or no internet.

Duffman0

Kick ass, chew bubblegum.
HSC
theres not much to complain about really - i mean even if we have research tasks, it'd take us less than an hour to find what we need on the internet (unless you get some really obscure topic and have to actually [Oh the horror] go to an actual library to look up the information)

They had research tasks back then too - they just didnt have the internet, which imo, makes things all that much more tedious to research.

Just be thankful you arent studying in an asian education system XDDD that would be a major bitch. internet or no internet.
You should do the textual dynamics elective of extension english. You know, that other module? (Most would say Wha? I thought everyone did crime fiction! Well, you'd be close to right. As far as I know, we're one of like 4 or 5 schools doing it in NSW -_-' )

Baggygreen408

HSC
lol

quite a bit of well said stuff here, and interesting points as well

untouchablecuz

HSC
lol

1967 4 unit maths :bomb:

Pace_T

HSC
the hsc is nothing. uni is even easier. stop complaining you little faggots

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Ha thanks for the replies. Curious to hear that people consider work back then was much more rigorous than todays content. But does anyone else get the feeling in the classroom when your teacher hands you an assessment requiring a relatively modern piece of technology (eg an internet research/website building task) that this dumb bitch didn't have to do that back then. I might be entirely wrong but I kinda reckon the inclusion of technology (eg Digital Cameras, Internet etc) has given teachers more incentive to up the workload

Though I am NOT complaining about how easier it is to retrieve information in todays generation

hmm I hope I made sense
I see what you mean. But i think it's evened out. They had easier tasks and harder ways of researching. We have hard tasks and easier ways of researching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)